• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves (PS5) | Reviews Thread

Its pretty impressive. As I said in my reviews, this is also a time for Lost Legacy to get some love. Because that game is PURE uncharted for me.
Lost Legacy is lowkey the best Uncharted game or at least at the same level as the 2nd game for me.
4th game comes after those 2.

I'd honestly prefer to get an Uncharted game like The Lost Legacy for 50€ on PS5 with a pacing as good as that one then an Uncharted 4 all over again.

But this is me...i prefer to play Miles Morales or The Lost Legacy much more than an overbloated mess like Assassin's Creed.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It is a new SKU and people who don't have consoles and are getting it on PC might want to know how the game performs or whether this package is worth seeking out (versus just staying with the base versions of the game).

. . .I think you're just being a bit of a curmudgeon here.

Thats what tech analysis videos are for.

The opening segment in Lost Legacy where Chloe is walking through the streets of Mumbai is still the most gorgeous gameplay I've ever played in any game. The colors, detail, artistry, and execution with hdr on an oled omg

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Naughty Dog is one of the most recognizable names on PlayStation hardware, and the roaring success of its Uncharted franchise across two generations of the console plays a large part in that legacy. It makes sense then that the studio's first full release for the PlayStation 5 celebrates that storied history, bringing two of the series' best entries to new hardware with a suite of improvements that make experiencing the treasure-hunting adventures a pleasure again. Although some of the underlying design choices are showing some age, the Legacy of Thieves Collection is the best way to play Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and Uncharted: Lost Legacy.

Across both games, the most significant changes are clear to see in the game's three modes of play. Fidelity mode targets a native 4K presentation, with the frame rate aiming for a locked 30fps(and sticking there for pretty much every scene). The new performance mode, which is likely the best way to play, reduces the resolution to 1440p but doubles the frame rate to 60fps, which it easily maintains for much more responsive gameplay. A third mode, Performance+, cuts the resolution even more, with a native 1080p presentation and a frame rate that aims for 120fps. You'll need a display that supports that in the first place, and even then, it's a tough concession to make visually for added fluidity that's not really required for the narrative-focused adventures that this collection contains.

What the additional horsepower of the PS5 offers, then, is choice, which wasn't present with the original releases on both the PS4 and PS4 Pro. Both Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy have been playable on PS5 through backwards-compatibility, but have been frustratingly locked to the same 30fps cap as the PS4 versions in both respective campaigns. The higher frame rates for both were reserved for their respective multiplayer modes, which aren't included in this Legacy of Thieves Collection anyway.

Last edited:

decisions

So, virtually no improvement to the textures (this is imo a big problem with the game).

No 40fps mode.
No dynamic resolution.
No attempt to go beyond 1440p, even though the headroom is clearly there.
Virtually no other graphical improvements.

Sounds completely shit, if I'm honest. Pretty much the only improvement beyond what you'd expect from just a frame rate unlock is the loading.

Why the fuck have we had to wait over a year for this?!

The real problem is that we have to pay $10 for it.

A.Romero

I'm an idiot and need to have it explained one more time: If I have Uncharted 4 on disc can I upgrade for 10 to get both?

I also have Lost Legacy but it's sealed and rather don't open it if I can avoid it.

Hunnybun

The real problem is that we have to pay $10 for it.

I actually don't mind the charge. I never really quite understood why these updates necessarily should be free tbh. I mean, it's cool when they ARE free, but I'd much rather have to pay if that meant the patches actually exist.

This convention against charging is basically the reason I'll never be able to play stuff like Driveclub, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and Shadow of the Colossus at their best. So for me it kind of sucks.

Buuuuut, given that there is that convention, and given that ND called this a remaster, and it's a separate release, and took over a year to arrive, then yeah in this case it's pretty galling how little improvement we're getting. Different frame rate and resolution settings don't constitute a remaster in my book.

Lognor

Banned
They didn't include multiplayer in the PS5 version?!

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Flabagast

I dont really know why but Uncharted seems so, so outdated as a series now. It's like the pure definition of something not having aged well at all.

I liked the games in their time but I would not replay any of them even if you gave me all the gold in the fucking world.

What's even weirder is that I do not feel the same at all about TLOU 2 (which I love)

Metnut

Any new content in these for those who have already played these games or just the stuff that’s been out for years?

Allforce

All Uncharted games have chapter select

Right, after you beat the entire game from start to finish. The Uncharted Collection I hoped would just let you hop in and out of whatever you wanted right from the start but no dice, sounds like this version has it all available right from the jump though according to a post above.

I dont really know why but Uncharted seems so, so outdated as a series now. It's like the pure definition of something not having aged well at all.

I liked the games in their time but I would not replay any of them even if you gave me all the gold in the fucking world.

What's even weirder is that I do not feel the same at all about TLOU 2 (which I love)
Last of Us 2 came out in 2020 dude. Uncharted 4 was 2016. I don't think UC4 has aged badly though. UC1-3? Yeah, those sure have but UC4 was overhauled in every way. The shooting mechanics feel great, movement is better, a.i. better than most games releasing now (not saying much), they even added some more open environments (admittedly still a bit small and linear feeling but this has always been a linear game).

Seeing a lot of UC4 dislike here. I think its a masterpiece though for what they were trying to accomplish. Could've used a few more combat encounters. What's the main criticism with UC4? How scripted/linear it is? If it wasn't would they have been able to have as many impactful moments? It's always been an Indiana Jones, cinematic, blockbuster type experience. Is it just not cool to be linear in this age of open worlds?

It's my favorite ps4 game outside of BB and Dark Souls 3. God of War is second behind UC4. Sekiro and Witcher are close by. UC4 was magical though beginning to end. The visuals in 2016 were mind blowing. I even like the slightly uneven pacing. It 'works' for me. I even had a blast playing the multiplayer.

Kerotan

I'm so hyped to play these again. Can't believe for just €10 I'll be going from these masterpieces in 30fps to 120fps. It's only just sinking in.

Fox Mulder

It’s lame there isn’t a platinum trophy for each game like the last collection.

I haven’t got around to playing LL yet and was looking forward to this collection to get that platinum.

kyliethicc

I haven’t got around to playing LL yet and was looking forward to this collection to get that platinum.
Pretty sure you have to get all The Lost Legacy trophies to get the collection's platinum.

dotnotbot

Holy hell, wtf is this list. Only one for both games, almost all trophies from Lost Legacy as a DLC and one gold trophy in the main list acting as a platinum for LL ("Don't Ruin The Moment"). Frankenstein of trophy lists.

I still haven't played LL but I'm not gonna bother with PS5 version then.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
nC2ic8l.jpg

While the blog post said that HFW would be on PS4, the blog post clearly states that launch games would be free upgrades from PS4 to PS5. HFW wasn't a PS5 launch or launch window game.

Nearly forgot about that. I might get Forbidden west afterall 🥳

Edit: just checked on Amazon and the ps4 version is £10 less @£60, so not a huge saving. I wonder if sony will keep ps4 version high to. Also does anyone know if the upgrade a 1 time only thing or will it work with used copies?

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

First, I would like to mention that Uncharted 4 and Legacy are great games for anyone who didn't play them before, then go ahead and do yourself a favor and buy it if you love single-player games.

with that being said....

Man, you can tell John was trying too hard to show the difference between PS5 and PS4 performance in the digital foundry review.

Honestly, nothing he mentioned is even worth it outside of course the higher frames. the texture difference or the lighting isn't even close to worth justifying the upgrade cost.

I know the money to upgrade isn't much. but man... unlocking the framerate should be free. and nothing that was mentioned was worth the money.

It's really the small stuff like that its making people switch to PC slowly over consoles. those upgrades should be free. period.

Again, for first-timers on PS5 or PC, this is a must-play. for everyone who played the game already.. Paying money to unlock the frame of the game or add texture on a grenade isn't something you should pay for.

Vognerful

nC2ic8l.jpg

While the blog post said that HFW would be on PS4, the blog post clearly states that launch games would be free upgrades from PS4 to PS5. HFW wasn't a PS5 launch or launch window game.
HFW was a launch window game. That is why Sony apologized later and made the upgrade free for it.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
HFW was a launch window game. That is why Sony apologized later and made the upgrade free for it.
The free upgrade path happened because people can't understand English and complained claiming Jim Ryan lied. Others who didnt bother to read the quote joined that mob as Jim always lies.

It's great to save €10 but reading the statement above claiming a game to be released in the latter half of 2021 falls in the launch window of the PS5 is stretching credibility.
www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/11/9/21556425/horizon-forbidden-west-release-dates-ps5-2021-launch-titles-announcement

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I liked it but for me it’s worse than 4. Weak villain, not a fan of hub design, a bit weak characters. I don’t remember what the story was about really.
But all in all - I take game like this more than most of the crap we get

I preferred it to 4 in every way, for me it felt like a real uncharted game. Number 4 dragged on so much with conversation sections and it just didn’t feel right in tone and …yeah it just felt so off in some way I can’t explain. Maybe I should give it another go, but as a huge fan of the original trilogy it was very poor imo.
Lost legacy felt the right length and just managed to grab what I liked about the series.

I have no real idea what happened in 4 when I come to think of it. I just remember it feeling like it was dragging on and on and on.

Vognerful

The free upgrade path happened because people can't understand English and complained claiming Jim Ryan lied. Others who didnt bother to read the quote joined that mob as Jim always lies.

It's great to save €10 but reading the statement above claiming a game to be released in the latter half of 2021 falls in the launch window of the PS5 is stretching credibility.
www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/11/9/21556425/horizon-forbidden-west-release-dates-ps5-2021-launch-titles-announcement
This is funny because people forget or mislead the article which Jim Ryan stated that this update will be free.

The Washington post article where he stated that there will be an upgrade path and it will be free.

While it wasn’t mentioned in Sony’s official announcement, developers of certain games later confirmed that PS5 exclusives like “Horizon: Forbidden West” and “Spider-Man: Miles Morales” aren’t exclusive at all. They’re both releasing PS4 versions, which may irritate a few Sony fans who took to heart Sony’s commitment to “next gen” development. The belief is that developing games across generations stifles creativity, and hampers the technological ambitions of the game, since it has to cater to an audience with less powerful machines.
“No one should be disappointed,” Ryan said. “The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It’s about people having choice. I’m really quite pleased about the situation.”

Dick Jones

Gold Member
This is funny because people forget or mislead the article which Jim Ryan stated that this update will be free.

The Washington post article where he stated that there will be an upgrade path and it will be free.
Jim isn't quoted as saying the first. So a journalist wrote that first part and Jim Ryan's quote in September 2020 doesn't set out the exact question asked before.

Could it be possible the journalist asked a question about PS5 games also being on PS4 and Jim obliged with the above comment? Later while writing the article, the journalist picks out games that are coming to PS4 and PS5 and inserts Horizon Forbidden West to back up examples of these games.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nearly forgot about that. I might get Forbidden west afterall 🥳

Edit: just checked on Amazon and the ps4 version is £10 less @£60, so not a huge saving. I wonder if sony will keep ps4 version high to. Also does anyone know if the upgrade a 1 time only thing or will it work with used copies?

I had that in mind but decided to go for the Deluxe Edition to help GG and Sony.

Last edited:
How are people okay with this? They should've made this shit free in a patch. Sad to see Sony doing a Nintendo move.
Except if you never bought one of these 2 games you actually get the other one with those 10 dollars as well with no extra charge.

If you never bought the games on the PS4, you can even buy a physical version of uncharted 4 for like 5 dollars somewhere and get the upgrade for 10 dollars. That's 2 PS5 games for 15 dollars.

That's hardly a Nintendo move.

The lack of multiplayer is dumb.

Is there a Chapter Select?

Drove me nuts in the Uncharted Collection that I couldn't just jump to my favorite setpieces and play them without playing through the whole game again. Ain't nobody got time for that.
What story driven game, in the history of gaming, allows you to just select any chapter without playing through the campaign first?

Weird complaint and expectation.

You can import your PS4 save file if it’s uploaded to the cloud. So if you’ve played through them before you can just do that.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Pretty sure you have to get all The Lost Legacy trophies to get the collection's platinum.

The uncharted 1-3 collection had platinum trophies for each game. Other collections have done this too. This is the first game I can think of that requires you to get all trophies under a dlc category to get a platinum.

I’ll just play the ps4 version of LL then and wait for this collection to be free with PS+. It’s already not much of an upgrade and I’ll still have to pay $10 for the upgrade.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The opening segment in Lost Legacy where Chloe is walking through the streets of Mumbai is still the most gorgeous gameplay I've ever played in any game. The colors, detail, artistry, and execution with hdr on an oled omg
Yeah, I remember it being a very impressive HDR showpiece on my KS8000. First game since Horizon that pushed HDR like that. I recall there being a big golden temple that just popped like nothing else.

Top Bottom