• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves (PS5) | Reviews Thread

ManaByte

Gold Member
I had that in mind but decided to go for the Deluxe Edition to help GG and Sony.
record rights GIF

I don’t mind too much that they made LL DLC, since it was initially supposed to be DLC that got a little big and turned into a standalone. But it’s kind of weird that you need to 100% LL in order to get one trophy in Uncharted 4. They should’ve just made them separate like on PS4.

The lack of multiplayer and co-op sucks though…They put little effort into this. It kind of killed my hype.

Allforce

The lack of multiplayer is dumb.

What story driven game, in the history of gaming, allows you to just select any chapter without playing through the campaign first?

Weird complaint and expectation.

You can import your PS4 save file if it’s uploaded to the cloud. So if you’ve played through them before you can just do that.

These are re-releases and remasters of almost decade-old games ya dope. Nobody expects to have the last level unlocked when you start something like Halo Infinite.

Forever a fan of Uncharted 4. I still believe it is ND ultimate masterpiece...In the minority, I know, but it's a hill I am prepared to die on!
I have not played Lost Legacy, however, so really excited about trying this one out... in 2024, when I get my hand on a PS5...😐😐😐

Last edited:

SpokkX

Aftee completing Uncharted 4 again in the legacy collection i have cone to realize that

… Uncharted is basically a walking sim with cover shooting in between

By walking sim i mean you dont really do anything other that move your character to a predetermined spot and press a button. This holds true for every puzzle and slow walking scene. If you dont go to the correct spot and press a button to help someone up a ladder o trigger the dialogie you cant progress. It is mindnumbing to actually play

Even the climbing scenes barely have any for of challengw, drake loosing his grip or things falling are purely cosmetic - you cant really affect what is happening.

The level of non-interactivity is really astounding and makes replaying the game a pain (gameplay wise)

I really remembered something else and i guess this lack of actual ”game” goes easily unnoticed the first time through (when you are invested in the story)

Bleh.. I should never have replayed this - it totally spoiled my memory of the game

Skifi28

Aftee completing Uncharted 4 again in the legacy collection i have cone to realize that

… Uncharted is basically a walking sim with cover shooting in between

By walking sim i mean you dont really do anything other that move your character to a predetermined spot and press a button. This holds true for every puzzle and slow walking scene. If you dont go to the correct spot and press a button to help someone up a ladder o trigger the dialogie you cant progress. It is mindnumbing to actually play

Even the climbing scenes barely have any for of challengw, drake loosing his grip or things falling are purely cosmetic - you cant really affect what is happening.

The level of non-interactivity is really astounding and makes replaying the game a pain (gameplay wise)

I really remembered something else and i guess this lack of actual ”game” goes easily unnoticed the first time through (when you are invested in the story)

Bleh.. I should never have replayed this - it totally spoiled my memory of the game
I don't necessarily disagree with your points, but I also don't think having a guided linear experience is inherently bad. Now that everything is open world hunting for icons, replaying UC4 felt almost refreshing and I'm enjoying it more than I did back then.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am replaying this right now.
4k30 mode because it looks so fkn good and the 30fps in this game is perfectly fine with good responsiveness and impressive motion blur.
The HDR in this game is INCREDIBLE. Using Hgig mode on lg c1.
The graphics and animations are still unmatched aside from TLOU2.
I swear, this game looks like it has real time ray tracing. The flashlight sections are so impressive. You can see grain accumulation like with current ray tracing solutions as you move the flashlight. Light bounce off the surfaces exactly like if it would with ray tracing. So good.
The animations, gameplay, story, characters. Kicking out Henning was the best idea they ever had. This game is close to perfection. I actually really enjoy climbing. it is dynamic, you move the hand separately. Driving sections are very chill too.

Ps5 captures HDR images but then poops them out when you copy to usb sticc. Goes from 5mb to 1mb and converts to sdr.
Why can't we have HDR viewer on windows? Why are we still taking "hdr" but sdr pictures on smartphones too. Why not proper hdr.
Anyway. Look, it even illuminates area behind the board, on a separate wall behind!
fEud1nj.jpg

SYrP7Ev.jpg
nFyxJmo.jpg

e5bnKkG.jpg

nZluGST.jpg

SRr1Sdm.jpg

lA6HgoF.jpg

H9hfa2H.jpg

TqJizrX.jpg

edit: And it's length is perfect too! 15-20 hours. I am walking so slowly around every room. Looking at everything, took almost 100 screenshots now :p And I am playing this game for 4th damn time lol (about once a year)

Last edited:

Rea

4k30 mode because it looks so fkn good and the 30fps in this game is perfectly fine with good responsiveness and impressive motion blur.
I swear, this game looks like it has real time ray tracing. The flashlight sections are so impressive. You can see grain accumulation like with current ray tracing solutions as you move the flashlight. Light bounce off the surfaces exactly like if it would with ray tracing. So good.
The animations, gameplay, story, characters. Kicking out Henning was the best idea they ever had. This game is close to perfections. I actually really enjoy climbing. it is dynamic, you move the hand separately. Driving sections are very chill too.

Ps5 captures HDR images but then poops them out when you copy to usb sticc. Goes from 5mb to 1mb and converts to sdr.
Why can't we have HDR viewer on windows? Why are we still talking "hdr" but sdr pictures on smartphones too. Why not proper hdr.
Anyway. Look, it even illuminates area behind the board, on a separate wall behind!
fEud1nj.jpg

SYrP7Ev.jpg
nFyxJmo.jpg

e5bnKkG.jpg

nZluGST.jpg

SRr1Sdm.jpg

lA6HgoF.jpg

H9hfa2H.jpg

TqJizrX.jpg
Oh geez, you're making me wanna buy for this Remastered version. I have both games in my acc, how much is it to upgrade?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oh geez, you're making me wanna buy for this Remastered version. I have both games in my acc, how much is it to upgrade?
I think it was... 10$ ?
The 1440p60 mode looks good too. no drawbacks. just resolution

• Strength
Reactions: Rea

DukeNukem00

Banned
The animations, gameplay, story, characters. Kicking out Henning was the best idea they ever had. This game is close to perfection. I actually really enjoy climbing. it is dynamic, you move the hand separately. Driving sections are very chill too.

Why can't we have HDR viewer on windows? Why are we still taking "hdr" but sdr pictures on smartphones too. Why not proper hdr.
fEud1nj.jpg

SYrP7Ev.jpg
nFyxJmo.jpg

e5bnKkG.jpg

nZluGST.jpg

SRr1Sdm.jpg

lA6HgoF.jpg

H9hfa2H.jpg

TqJizrX.jpg

edit: And it's length is perfect too! 15-20 hours. I am walking so slowly around every room. Looking at everything, took almost 100 screenshots now :p And I am playing this game for 4th damn time lol (about once a year)

A developer from ND actually explained how they're working the visuals in their games, including the flashlight:

Dynamic Lights:
Things like torches, flood lights or lanterns that cast light and would effect the players shadow are simple run time lights. These are of course expensive compared to pre computed baked lighting but allow for real time shadows and fog interaction from Players and NPCs.

Dynamic Sun Light:
If the level has sunlight in it we are using a single Dynamic Sun Spotlight that has Cascading Shadow detail. We can control the range from the Player and the detail quality of the shadows. Say for up to 20 meters away from the Player we want full rez shadows, maybe at 50 meters we drop to half rez shadows and shadows beyond 80 meters are 1/4th resolution. (note, since many levels are overcast we actually have the sun entirely disabled as its an extra expense that is not needed. You wouldn't have shadows appear in a fully overcast day)

Precomputed Lighting:
The majority of our games are precomputed baked lighting that is stored in Lightmaps. This gives us great soft shadows, the ability to have a lot of bounce light color effect the scene all the while keeping the frame rate hit low as this information is baked into the lightmaps. It of course means shadows cannot change dynamically and a scene would need to be rebaked for any light adjustment.

It also means when working on these levels you have to wait generally between 2 to 5 hours depending on the size of the level for lighting to be calculated and stored in lightmaps. Changes to the level geometry can and often does break the lightmaps and they must be rebaked. Again using lightmaps gives you great shoft shadows and keeps performance running great. Dynamic lights are extremely expensive and you can only have so many.

Skyboxes, Cubemaps and LUTs also effect the Render Settings that are used to give us our overall lighting look. Hope this helps
:)

In terms of what "engine" we use I guess we call it the Naughty Dog engine? ha Like many studios we just have proprietary tools that are integrated into Maya (or whatever software package you use). We don't have a separate editor like Unreal where scenes are built in. Everything is built inside of Maya and we have custom made stand alone tools like a Shader program that directly interfaces with Maya. I build my environments in Maya and basically hit a "build" button and all the levels data is compiled and sent straight to our Dev Kits.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The animations, gameplay, story, characters. Kicking out Henning was the best idea they ever had. This game is close to perfections. I actually really enjoy climbing. it is dynamic, you move the hand separately. Driving sections are very chill too.

Why can't we have HDR viewer on windows? Why are we still talking "hdr" but sdr pictures on smartphones too. Why not proper hdr.
fEud1nj.jpg

SYrP7Ev.jpg
nFyxJmo.jpg

e5bnKkG.jpg

nZluGST.jpg

SRr1Sdm.jpg

lA6HgoF.jpg

H9hfa2H.jpg

TqJizrX.jpg
I think they use pre-baked GI like AC Unity. Another gorgeous game.

D2DLwpvWoAAJbrO.jpg

assassin%27s%20creed%20unity%20pc%20ps4%20xbox%20one%2012.png

kyliethicc

fEud1nj.jpg

SYrP7Ev.jpg
nFyxJmo.jpg

e5bnKkG.jpg

nZluGST.jpg

SRr1Sdm.jpg

lA6HgoF.jpg

H9hfa2H.jpg

TqJizrX.jpg

Yeah it’s such a great game. Fun, beautiful, and replayable.

A developer from ND actually explained how they're working the visuals in their games, including the flashlight:

Dynamic Lights:
Things like torches, flood lights or lanterns that cast light and would effect the players shadow are simple run time lights. These are of course expensive compared to pre computed baked lighting but allow for real time shadows and fog interaction from Players and NPCs.

Dynamic Sun Light:
If the level has sunlight in it we are using a single Dynamic Sun Spotlight that has Cascading Shadow detail. We can control the range from the Player and the detail quality of the shadows. Say for up to 20 meters away from the Player we want full rez shadows, maybe at 50 meters we drop to half rez shadows and shadows beyond 80 meters are 1/4th resolution. (note, since many levels are overcast we actually have the sun entirely disabled as its an extra expense that is not needed. You wouldn't have shadows appear in a fully overcast day)

Precomputed Lighting:
The majority of our games are precomputed baked lighting that is stored in Lightmaps. This gives us great soft shadows, the ability to have a lot of bounce light color effect the scene all the while keeping the frame rate hit low as this information is baked into the lightmaps. It of course means shadows cannot change dynamically and a scene would need to be rebaked for any light adjustment.

It also means when working on these levels you have to wait generally between 2 to 5 hours depending on the size of the level for lighting to be calculated and stored in lightmaps. Changes to the level geometry can and often does break the lightmaps and they must be rebaked. Again using lightmaps gives you great shoft shadows and keeps performance running great. Dynamic lights are extremely expensive and you can only have so many.

Skyboxes, Cubemaps and LUTs also effect the Render Settings that are used to give us our overall lighting look. Hope this helps

In terms of what "engine" we use I guess we call it the Naughty Dog engine? ha Like many studios we just have proprietary tools that are integrated into Maya (or whatever software package you use). We don't have a separate editor like Unreal where scenes are built in. Everything is built inside of Maya and we have custom made stand alone tools like a Shader program that directly interfaces with Maya. I build my environments in Maya and basically hit a "build" button and all the levels data is compiled and sent straight to our Dev Kits.

Nice find, will read.

Would be cool if they could add RT to their dynamic lights in a TLOU2 remaster. Like the flashlights.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Dynamic Lights:

Dynamic Sun Light:

Precomputed Lighting:

Thanks! The effect they achieve with these "simple" methods is crazy. And it does not feel precalculated at all.
The shadows form the clouds, intensity of the sun changing, the haze. Then, the flashlight looks like the future!

One thing I forgot to add and I think it was added in this remaster - the 3d audio.
There is no toggle for this in the settings, so I presume it takes the system level 3d headphones toggle into account.
The sound is incredible. The reverb, directionality, room size. Great stuff. Pulse 3d really shines here.
3d audio and fantastic Dualsense support will be big missing features in the pc version. But I look forward to playing this 4k120

• Strength
Reactions: Rea

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I like your setup. Nice and clean, warm feet. I hope to have my own gameroom one day too, because right now I'm in the attic where I can barely stand up straight.
Thank you! Warm feet are important haha.
best of luck mate!

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’ve got the platinum in Uncharted 1-4.

I own a digital edition PS5.

Is there no way at all for me to play the original Lost Legacy that comes with its own platinum trophy?

I’m reading that the Legacy of Thieves update has a shared trophy list with Uncharted 4 and just one shared platinum. I can’t import my Uncharted 4 save as I’ve not had Plus for years. There’s no way I’m platting U4 again just so I can play Lost Legacy.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’ve got the platinum in Uncharted 1-4.

I own a digital edition PS5.

Is there no way at all for me to play the original Lost Legacy that comes with its own platinum trophy?

I’m reading that the Legacy of Thieves update has a shared trophy list with Uncharted 4 and just one shared platinum. I can’t import my Uncharted 4 save as I’ve not had Plus for years. There’s no way I’m platting U4 again just so I can play Lost Legacy.
Anyone?

Top Bottom