• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Review Thread

Gbraga

I was replaying Uncharted 2 just this morning, don't know how many times I've played through it at this point. I think that means it did some things right with the gameplay. I'd just rewatch the cutscenes on YouTube if that was all it had to offer.

IKizzLE

Okay I could have worded that better, I have no problem with people enjoying them or even considering them their favorite games or whatever.. its just this being hailed as some near perfect masterpieces across the gaming media when so much of the game consists of semi-automated jumps and completely mindless "puzzles" that spell out the solution you.. those only seems to be there to waste time and not challenge the player in any way. Now they have improved on the gunplay a great deal and the story, characters and presentation is great and deserve praise. Just don't know why the shortcomings don't get more critizism by .

I do enjoy the series enough to have played through them all except the 3rd installment.. To me CTR and the first Jak games are still the most fun things Naughty Dog ever developed, but yes that's completely subjective.

From everything you just said, I'm curious to hear what have been your favorite games of the past 5 years.

Zweisy1

I'm not sure why that's an issue, though. These aren't platformers but those sections don't feel like a waste of time either.

I think the issue is that coming out and slagging a series and suggesting that reviewers are being too kind is going to rub people the wrong way when, in reality, it's just a matter of tastes.

I mean, there are a lot of popular games that I do not like at all. I genuinely hate MOBAs, digital card games, Minecraft and the like...but I would never suggest that they are bad games or even less than great games. Same deal with the critically acclaimed Witcher 3 - just a tedious thing that rubs me the wrong way. All the empty space between areas feels like busy work to me - I don't find running across large open worlds to be even remotely enjoyable. I don't like it but I wouldn't question reviews in the 9/10 range either as I can tell that it's very well made.

Uncharted is an incredibly well made series but, like anything else, the type of experience it provides doesn't appeal to everyone. I can enjoy games like Uncharted and even less interactive games like Tacoma just as much as stuff like Bloodborne or Sonic Mania. All super different but all interesting.

That's completely fair, I didnt mean to insinuate that Im some kind final word on wether Uncharted series deserves it's scores or all the praise it's getting, obviously it's greatly loved and usually things are for a good reason.

It's just doesn't really do much for me personally and I dont find the gameplay interesting at all, maybe part annoyance that Naughty Dog doesn't cater for my tastes as they're a ridiculously talented group of people, especially their coders are some of the very best in business.

Zweisy1

From everything you just said, I'm curious to hear what have been your favorite games of the past 5 years.

Hmm there's loads of things I love, Housemarque's work is really close to my heart, play Resogun least a couple of times a week to this day.. Thimbleweed Park I truly love but then I am a bit of a Ron Gilbert Fanboy, Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild lived up to the hype for me after the let down that was Skyward Sword..

AKyemeni

So, anyone who disliked Uncharted 4's pacing got their hands on it yet?

Getting Jak tempts me greatly to preorder.
Yeah, I disliked UC4s pacing, but really dug the pacing in TLL. I think it being a shorter game really helped it not drag out as much as UC4.

So, anyone who disliked Uncharted 4's pacing got their hands on it yet?

Getting Jak tempts me greatly to preorder.

GAF users AKyemeni, ronaldthump and Creamium have praised LL's pacing and (I think) action/downtime while saying they didn't like those aspects of UC4.

blurr

I'm mostly interested in its representation of Indian mythology and India in general, sounds good going by the Gadgets 360 review.

I'm not a fan of UC2 style action focus if any and have preferred set piece predominant 3 and 4 over the other UC games though. However, I guess with the new protagonists, given their presence and impression through the previous games, notably different from Drake, it could be a different sort of experience.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
So I preordered this now and I'm pleasantly surprised at the Jak and Daxter: Precursor Legacy bonus. Loved those games so much.

Ricky_R

That's completely fair, I didnt mean to insinuate that Im some kind final word on wether Uncharted series deserves it's scores or all the praise it's getting, obviously it's greatly loved and usually things are for a good reason.

It's just doesn't really do much for me personally and I dont find the gameplay interesting at all, maybe part annoyance that Naughty Dog doesn't cater for my tastes as they're a ridiculously talented group of people, especially their coders are some of the very best in business.

Now compare this post with your first one and reflect. ;)

DigSCCP

My pre load is not working.
When I enter PS Store and search for TLL it shows me that game is avaible on Tuesday but the download tab dont exist neither the game is downloaded.

Tyaren

I'm mostly interested in its representation of Indian mythology and India in general, sounds good going by the Gadgets 360 review.

I learned a few things from the game about Indian mythology and history. :) Chloe tells Nadine some really interesting things from time to time. I also love Indian art and architecture all the more now. The environments, buildings and pieces of art in this game are breathtakingly beautiful.

silva1991

Just finished the game.
My review: Awesome! :D

UC4 awesome(aka shit) or UC2 awesome? huge difference here j/k

With my DS3 not working properly, I might drop Folklore and start this one today.

I missed that ass so much

tumblr_lzs6tai3w71qlwea0o2_500.gif

A lot of reviews mention that the character interactions and dialogue are great as usual, but I'm really curious about how compelling the actual story is. By Uncharted 4 I had grown pretty tired of the gunplay; the story and characters are what made it great for me. (Regardless, I'm sure I'll be happy with the increased focus on puzzles/exploration here.)

CHC

Preload complete. Something (good) has happened with PSN in terms of download speeds - 45 GB overnight was unthinkable for me a few months ago.

Either way, excited as all hell for this. Love a good cinematic, linear game since my typical diet consists of big, heavy RPGs.

AKyemeni

A lot of reviews mention that the character interactions and dialogue are great as usual, but I'm really curious about how compelling the actual story is. By Uncharted 4 I had grown pretty tired of the gunplay; the story and characters are what made it great for me. (Regardless, I'm sure I'll be happy with the increased focus on puzzles/exploration here.)
I liked the antagonist more than in UC4, but that's not saying much. As a isn't really that fleshed out and he feels like a "been there, done that" sorta villain. But he is a cool guy.

Also, there are a couple of nice suprises that ND manage to hide from the public :)

I still don't like Nadine, tho.

I'd argue that besides elements of 4, all the stories in the Uncharted series have been boilerplate adventure pulp. It's the characters and their interactions that elevate the plots. Which is why I never mind the criticism about how generic the villians are across the games

Gurish

A little off topic but I've never played the Jak and Daxter game that you get for free with the game, how is it? still worth my time in 2017?

Tyaren

A little off topic but I've never played the Jak and Daxter game that you get for free with the game, how is it? still worth my time in 2017?

Now that you mention it, I got a code for that game with UCTLL, but haven't used it yet... Is this an HD remaster? I'm sure sure they won't just give us PS2 Jak and Daxter.

Harmen

Do you like Mario 64/Rare-esque collecathons? I think it is an evolution of those titles (seamless world, permanent world states, a bit more involved story) and I think the gameplay still holds up.

Now that you mention it, I got a code for that game with UCTLL, but haven't used it yet... Is this an HD remaster? I'm sure sure they won't just give us PS2 Jak and Daxter.

I believe it is the ps2 version, just like any ps2 title on the PS4 that is released as a ps2 classic. So HD resolution and trophies, but still the original version running on an emulator.

Gurish

It's better than the HD remaster, it's a port but at 1080P instead of the 720P of the remaster, there are trophies as well.

Do you like Mario 64/Rare-esque collecathons? I think it is an evolution of those titles (seamless world, permanent world states, a bit more involved story) and I think the gameplay still holds up.

Honestly the only platformer I've ever played was R&C on PS3, I quite liked it, but it's not open world so I don't think I have a good enough experience with this genre. Maybe I should give it a try if you are saying it's still good.

F34R

This game is one tenth from being perfect. That's my take on it, and we haven't even finished it yet! Awesome game.

Zweisy1

Now compare this post with your first one and reflect. ;)

Fair enough, I can see I came off as bit obnoxious there..

Not sure how it's held up but It's a kind of an open world "collecthaton" kind of platformer which are quite rare nowadays. It was a fun and a solid game.. definitely worth playing. Was super impressive for PS2 at the time.

It's better than the HD remaster, it's a port but at 1080P instead of the 720P of the remaster, there are trophies as well.

Honestly the only platformer I've ever played was R&C on PS3, I quite liked it, but it's not open world so I don't think I have a good enough experience with this genre. Maybe I should give it a try if you are saying it's still good.
You need to rectify this. :p

I have nothing to do today. Considering playing UC4 again before starting this up. Would it be beneficial to my enjoyment of the story of Lost Legacy if I went into it with UC4 being more fresh in my mind, or should I just hold off and maybe play UC4 again after I play Lost Legacy?

Neith

Banned
To be fair, peanut butter is awful.

Yowch. This is another of those objectively bad opinions.

It's a PS2 Classic.

Hence, jaggy as all hell because they refuse to put ANY AA in there. PS2 classics are unplayable to me right now.

I have nothing to do today. Considering playing UC4 again before starting this up. Would it be beneficial to my enjoyment of the story of Lost Legacy if I went into it with UC4 being more fresh in my mind, or should I just hold off and maybe play UC4 again after I play Lost Legacy?

There is no reason whatsoever to replay that whole game to enjoy this lol.

Watching footage I think one of my faceourite little touches is the sweaty hair around Chloe's neck. Women in video games are very rarely permitted to look "natural" and it's a very natural touch.

Hey! Is this a good starting point for the series? I'd love to play as them first rather than Nathan. Nothing against him tho!

Not really, since it takes place after 4, it's most likely going to reference events from that game, I'd recommend starting at the first one and working your way up.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Watching footage I think one of my faceourite little touches is the sweaty hair around Chloe's neck. Women in video games are very rarely permitted to look "natural" and it's a very natural touch.

Hah I noticed that too! Those strands of loose hair sticking to the skin... ND's attention to detail is nuts.

Any opinions from people who didn't think much of Uncharted 4?

Yeah if you scroll through the thread a bit you can find my impressions and comparisons to U4.

Gurish

You need to rectify this. :p

To be fair I did play 8 bit Mario, 16 bit Sonic games and the old Crash trilogy, but my experience with modern platformers that started with Nintendo on the N64 is limited due to the fact that I've been a Playstation only (and PC at times) player since PS1 :)

To be fair I did play 8 bit Mario, 16 bit Sonic games and the old Crash trilogy, but my experience with modern platformers that started with Nintendo on the N64 is limited due to the fact that I've been a Playstation only (and PC at times) player since PS1 :)
Fair enough!

Alienous

Yeah if you scroll through the thread a bit you can find my impressions and comparisons to U4.

Thanks.

As I've said a few pages back, I'd definitely rank it above 1 and 4. It has a great mix of all the typical Uncharted elements and there aren't chapters or segments that feel padded out. Also there is little to no crate/gimme a boost! bs aside from the opening. It has a cool intro, but it's not long before you're in the West Ghats. Pacing is pretty brisk.

This game has the perfect length at 7-8 hours. I'm currently replaying it, so I think that says enough. I never felt like replaying Uncharted 4.

EucIfYY.gif

That touches on all of my concerns, following U4. Thanks for the impressions.

I bought the Explorer's Pack (Season Pass) for UC4 ages ago and Lost Legacy is showing up as Free, does that mean I get Jak and Daxter too or no? It's not in my library so I would think not but just asking if anyone knew.

Fury451

Banned
I was replaying Uncharted 2 just this morning, don't know how many times I've played through it at this point. I think that means it did some things right with the gameplay. I'd just rewatch the cutscenes on YouTube if that was all it had to offer.

I think it was the most well-rounded game the series, from the narrative standpoint, the action and crafting of the set pieces, finely tuned gameplay, and especially the multiplayer which was just outstanding.

The fourth game probably comes closest to almost getting all of that right, but had way too many pacing issues and a few other things that I personally didn't like about it that keeps it back.

I know a lot of people on here really love the third game, but that was easily the weakest from basically every standpoint, and when they introduced pay to win hats it completely broke the multiplayer which was already kind of a cluster to begin with.

Top Bottom