• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncovered FFXV Event page source hints at PC (maybe boilerplate code) [Up: Removed]

prudislav

Oh good, hope it's day one on PC cause I don't have much faith in the PS4 version running well.

higly unlikely ,but i am pretty sure it wil end up on PC one day , judging by the rate of Squeenix is releasing the FF games on steam and from some of their interviews, iirc i read some where they even said its a possibility but they need to ship console version first and then decide, also there was recent leak showing video of some beta build running on PC ... its just matter of time, i guess we will get FFX and FFXII first on steam

TheTux

higly unlikely ,but i am pretty sure it wil end up on PC one day , judging by the rate of Squeenix is releasing the FF games on steam and from some of their interviews, iirc i read some where they even said its a possibility but they need to ship console version first and then decide, also there was recent leak showing video of some beta build running on PC ... its just matter of time, i guess we will get FFX and FFXII first on steam

Leak of the game running on PC? They said multiple times that the game is running on PC at the moment and that they started optimizing the console versions.

UrbanRats

Leak of the game running on PC? They said multiple times that the game is running on PC at the moment and that they started optimizing the console versions.
Yeah, and i mean, every game is running on PC, since that's what you use to develop them.

UnrealEck

Maybe it's a copy and paste or a starter template of code from one of their other sites.
That'd probably be lazy, but I'm sure it's plausible. But I'm not a web developer so I can't say for sure.

What pisses me off is that many developers are treating the PC platform as a secondary market in that it's a place they can use to release their games after they've released them on a console platform solely to eke out more money from people.

Mivey

I could see SE deciding that a PC port is not viable: It's clear that they are having troubles with the Luminous Engine, and the only reason that FF XV seems to be doing fine is because the engine team is basically acting as their technical programming team, from what I understood.

It could be a lot of work to get a PC version running well and stable on most PC, much more so than for the XIII trilogy, and since Japanese developers are known for having high standards for their PC ports, Koei Tecmo is a leading example here, this would just be unacceptable to the higher ups at SE.

Heartfyre

I'm guessing it'll be about a year or so after the console versions before we see XV on PC. It's almost certainly going to happen, considering their frequent Steam Final Fantasy releases, but the chances of them doing it for launch seem really slim at this stage.

I could see SE deciding that a PC port is not viable: It's clear that they are having troubles with the Luminous Engine, and the only reason that FF XV seems to be doing fine is because the engine team is basically acting as their technical programming team, from what I understood.

It could be a lot of work to get a PC version running well and stable on most PC, much more so than for the XIII trilogy, and since Japanese developers are known for having high standards for their PC ports, Koei Tecmo is a leading example here, this would just be unacceptable to the higher ups at SE.

What ? Sales wise, its more than viable.
Port wise ? The game is developped for PC. And not in the same way as some people says, as every game is developped on PC environnement. This is developpement for Windows and DX11 API then downported. Luminous Engine support Windows out of the box.

The work required would be trivial and is actually more difficult to bring it to consoles.

As for the port quality, Type-O HD was good.

artsi

Maybe it's a copy and paste or a starter template of code from one of their other sites.
That'd probably be lazy, but I'm sure it's plausible. But I'm not a web developer so I can't say for sure.

I am and I can confirm, code gets reused a lot, not because of laziness but efficiency.
This particular JS code was also on the Rise of the Romb Raider website.

(What was lazy is that they didn't remove the unused Steam references before publishing, which led to this thread coming to existence.)

I am and I can confirm, code gets reused a lot, not because of laziness but efficiency.
This particular JS code was also on the Rise of the Romb Raider website.

(What was lazy is that they didn't remove the unused Steam references before publishing, which led to this thread coming to existence.)

To be fair, they did more than that. What they removed is basically nearly everything. It wasnt a simple copy and paste, there was informations on the file that implied a section for the livestream and such and it got remove. The retailer PS4 and One things werent on the TR file either.

artsi

To be fair, they did more than that. What they removed is basically nearly everything. It wasnt a simple copy and paste, there was informations on the file that implied a section for the livestream and such and it got remove. The retailer PS4 and One things werent on the TR file either.

Of course you modify whatever boilerplate you are using to suit the project needs, but it's still boilerplate and sometimes unnecessary stuff gets left in.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Floody

I honestly thought it was already announced for PC, I guess not. Anyways hopefully it's a simultaneous release or at least same year release, people have waited long enough as is, it'd suck if some have to wait even longer.

Whompa02

This reminds me of the time Roen had Final Fantasy 15 on their website for projects they worked on, back before the e3 re-reveal.

Hopefully a PC version is planned.

roytheone

I honestly thought it was already announced for PC, I guess not. Anyways hopefully it's a simultaneous release or at least same year release, people have waited long enough as is, it'd suck if some have to wait even longer.

If waiting longer means a better pc port, I will gladly wait a bit longer.

Lazaro

I wonder what the Windows 10 bit means? Sounds like it will have Dx12 features and Nvidia Gameworks stuff.

It's also probable that like RotTR there will also be a Windows Store version.

Back when they showed "Witch Chapter Cry" Square mentioned getting technology support from Nvidia And Microsoft. Sounds like the PC version will be godly.

Floody

If waiting longer means a better pc port, I will gladly wait a bit longer.

True, though aren't Square pretty good with their PC ports? Saying that, I suppose it's better safe than sorry, people would get mighty pissed if they waited 10+ years for a broken game.

artsi

I wonder what the Windows 10 bit means? Sounds like it will have Dx12 features and Nvidia Gameworks stuff.

It's also probable that like RotTR there will also be a Windows Store version.

Back when they showed "Witch Chapter Cry" Square mentioned getting technology support from Nvidia And Microsoft. Sounds like the PC version will be godly.

From that block they removed the Windows 10 store related stuff but didn't bother to remove the conditional itself. They also left one empty commented line inside, because of... reasons?

I just would not read too much into it.

c4n3swR.png

No way this will stay out of Steam forever but people expecting a simultaneous release are gonna be really disappointed lol

It'll have a long enough console-only period to make people want to double dip the PC version.

KupoNut

Is there really much "porting" needed for FFXV on PC? Seems like the game is fully functional on PC and then gets ported down to consoles. Their engine shots always shown PC options and they've outright said that some footage (like TGS last year) ran on a PC.

They'd only have to add PC keyboard bindings and Steam support at minimum, which should be relatively easy. I don't think a PC version would eat away at their time or budget, but I guess they want people to double dip by releasing a PC version after the PS4/X1 version.

No way this will stay out of Steam forever but people expecting a simultaneous release are gonna be really disappointed lol

It'll have a long enough console-only period to make people want to double dip the PC version.

And why should we happy with that kind of business decision?
Are people happy with how they treat Rise of the Tomb Raider as well?

Famassu

The biggest hurdle with Luminous Engine seems to be that it has not been used to develop a full game until FFXV, so it wasn't quite fully equipped to handle such a thing and not to do something stupid like develop several games using it simultaneously even when the engine wasn't ready, they opted to use the engine for a single game & use that game to get it into a state where it could maybe be used in the future again. From past demonstrations, it seems to be a fairly adequate & easy to use engine for a lot of things, but it simply wasn't finished enough to be used as an engine for many of their games. FFXV is the game they are using to make it into something that is fit for game development in every way and that is why the Luminous team is so integral to the game's development, because the game itself is also so integral to "finishing" Luminous, making it into something they could maybe use in future projects. Paying for UE4 for a massive AAA game like FFXV isn't cheap, so unless Luminous really is a total & utter disaster to use, you'd imagine they might want to keep Luminous around if they get good results out of it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Is there really much "porting" needed for FFXV on PC? Seems like the game is fully functional on PC and then gets ported down to consoles. Their engine shots always shown PC options and they've outright said that some footage (like TGS last year) ran on a PC.

They'd only have to add PC keyboard bindings and Steam support at minimum, which should be relatively easy. I don't think a PC version would eat away at their time or budget, but I guess they want people to double dip by releasing a PC version after the PS4/X1 version.
No, they still need to optimize for home PCs. It's not like they hit a button and generate a magic consumer PC version.

Lazaro

From that block they removed the Windows 10 store related stuff but didn't bother to remove the conditional itself. They also left one empty commented line inside, because of... reasons?

I don't really think there will be a Windows Store version either and I don't think Square Enix will voluntarily do a Windows Store port unless Microsoft is willing to give development treatment similar to the RotTR Windows Store port.

But I believe a FFXV Steam version will be available at some time in the future with Windows 10/Dx12 features. If this quote from Hajime about last year's tech demo actually means anything.

Hajime Tabata said:
As a part of the technical development, we created this demo using world-class, real-time CG technology with generous support from leading-edge software and hardware providers – Microsoft’s Windows10/DirectX 12 and NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX. The efforts from this project will power future game development as well as FINAL FANTASY XV, currently a work in progress.”
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/en/news/2015/html/a93a3c090564558110139d9502dcf566.html

Who said anything about being happy about it? And what does RoTR have anything to do with it? FFXV is not announced for PC.

We know that PC version is coming, we just don't know when. What I mean is, people are expecting a late PC release as it's the right thing to do.

We know that PC version is coming, we just don't know when. What I mean is, people are expecting a late PC release as it's the right thing to do.
We expect a PC version is coming, big difference there. It's not about being right or wrong, you guys are counting your chickens before they hatch and being pissed about getting yolk, you were never guaranteed a simultaneous release so don't act like Square owes you one.

Parsnip

Too late.

Personally, while I don't think this little js bit means anything, I'm about 50/50 on our changes for a simultaneous PC release. They have been slowly catching up with the FF catalog on the PC platform, I could certainly see it culminating in simultaneous release for FF15 for the 2016 holidays.
And it would make most sense from marketing perspective, get that one big push for the game for all platforms. Instead of the usual almost zero effort marketing that their pc releases get.

Top Bottom