• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under 100k copies of Street Fighter V were shipped (incl dig) from April to September

Ōkami

ow9osJw.png

Made a similar thread back in July, SFV ships less than 100k units in 6 months.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1254126

According to that less than 100k units of Street Fighter V were shipped on the whole semester (that's from April 1st to September 30th), it shows it's LTD as 1.4m which is the same exact number they gave back in May.

This includes physical copies sold to stores and digital copies sold through PSN/Steam, both combined ammount to less than 100k units

Capcom wanted to sell 2m units by March 31st.

You can see data accurate as of June 30th here
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html
And you can see data accurate as of March 31st here
https://web.archive.org/web/20160602...e/million.html

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think these are some of the worst legs in the history of Capcom.

Stuff like Operation Raccoon City was holding up much better than this.

Zalman

It had an awful launch. They need to completely relaunch this game. Super Street Fighter V with everything so far plus more.

Pretty terrible performance to be honest. It's a shame because the core mechanics ate fantastic but the game should have never launched in the state it did. It hurt the game badly

That is abysmal. I think it's a shame if Capcom blames the model and not their shitty handling of it and go back to yearly releases that split up the community.

Tizoc

It had an awful launch. They need to completely relaunch this game. Super Street Fighter V with everything so far plus more.

Technically, buying SF5 does that, or the Season Pass.

Honestly it baffles me how they couldn't just go the usual simple route with this game:
Traditional Arcade mode has to be the easiest thing to do ina fighting game and they just...omit it.
My brain will forever be baffled at the decisions they went with launching the game the way it was.

Platy

The only people who did not expect this was the ones at Capcom.

Appeal to the EVO playing crowd and you get EVO playing numbers =P

And no, the "dead or alive"zation of dlc skins and designs didn't help because once again we are proving that sex does not sell

MrDaravon

They really need to re-launch it both on disc and digitally in some sort of $40-50 package that includes everything to date (characters, stages, story mode etc). Don't do it as a completely separate game because you don't want to split the userbase etc, but give people access to everything currently out under a rebranding.

If the game had launched in the state it is right now (minus maybe some/all of the DLC characters) the entire conversation around this game would be radically different. There's some percentage of people that they're never going to get back, but repackaging what they have currently as a new "complete" thing will probably go a long ways honestly.

I'm curious how active the userbase is; streams do well viewer-wise, and I've never had the slightest problem getting matches pretty much immediately (well, outside of the first few months when matchmaking and netcode were shit). Wonder if it just has a really strong core base but it just completely whiffed outside of that, or if even that core base is super small.

Menitta

Wow, that's bad. With the way they've handled it, I don't see any way they can salvage this game. Especially with the method they want to do.

DR2K

Banned
On the plus side I'm sure capcom is making money off of it. Consider the lower budget, DLC, and Sonys assistance. But they need to officially lower the price and start a F2P version. Follow DOA5s lead.

zashga

The bad news never stopped for SF5. Personally, I went from "some day" to "never" after the rootkit debacle.

But hey, at least the competitive scene is happy.

Perhaps they should of finished it before they put it out.
That's the lesson here not that I think Capcom will really learn anything. The stunted momentum at launch is always nearly impossible to overcome. People who have moved on are not going to in great numbers be like OMG now there is a story mode and pick it up in June, their attention has already moved to other products. See also Driveclub

And no, the "dead or alive"zation of dlc skins and designs didn't help because once again we are proving that sex does not sell

The sexy costumes are not supposed to sell the game, they're supposed to sell the DLC

It's not as easy as saying "sex sells" or "sex doesn't sell"

Pretty sure a sexy DLC bikini sells better than a jeans and shirt costume. Also I'm pretty sure the Hot Ryu/Hot Chun Li costumes are the most attention the game has ever gotten

BlizzKrut

Banned

Really out of place comment, besides, this isn't talking about DLC, it's game units.

Tizoc

The bad news never stopped for SF5. Personally, I went from "some day" to "never" after the rootkit debacle.

But hey, at least the competitive scene is happy.

Eh I'm gonna grab it if the Deluxe Edition goes for a decent price this Winter Seal on Steam.

What's interesting is despite the abysmal sales for franchise norms I'm willing to bet this game broke even. Development couldn't have been hugely expensive considering how bare bones it was at launch. It seems Sony paid for a portion of the cost, and they probably made decent sales of Season Pass / Costumes.

But still regardless this kind of performance makes justifying a sequel very difficult and I don't anticipate we will see another Street Fighter for a long time

Top Bottom