• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under 100k copies of Street Fighter V were shipped/sold digitaly from April to June

Ōkami

ow9osJw.png

Capcom did their FY2016 Q1 report today and with that they updated their list of million sellers.

According to that less than 100k units of Street Fighter V were shipped on the whole quarter (that's from April 1st to June 30th), it shows it's LTD as 1.4m which is the same exact number they gave back in May.

Does this means the game stop selling entirely?
No, it just means Capcom barely shipped any copies, and that by June 30th they still haven't sold what they shipped by March 31st.

Capcom wanted to sell 2m units by March 31st.

Keep in mind this is well before Evo.

You can see data accurate as of June 30th here
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html
And you can see data accurate as of March 31st here
https://web.archive.org/web/20160602110608/http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

kewlmyc

Well you can easily find the game on sale for 50%+ off, so most stores probably have too much in stock and aren't ordering any more.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Neoxon

I know they were trying to avoid putting out a Super SFV disc or whatever but at this point they pretty much have to in order to soft-relaunch the game, don't they? This is SFxTK levels of anti-momentum.
  1. This was before the Cinematic Story Mode Update & EVO, so we don't know how much those helped the game's sales (we know there was some increase in sales thanks to Steam for both, but we don't have any specifics).
  2. Capcom could easily do a disc that just contains the base game & all of Season 1's DLC, call it "Street Fighter V: Season 1", & achieve a similar result. No need for Capcom to go back on their word.

Perhaps once they get all the characters and mode in the actual game they can relaunch it.

CAPCOM done fucked up.
All the characters may take 5 or so years, but all the modes may be in by the end of this year.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Since Capcom is basically finished with DLC characters for 2016 (Urien is ready to go) this would be their chance to put more generalized work into the game for the rest of the year and try to gain back some mindshare.

Neoxon

Since Capcom is basically finished with DLC characters for 2016 (Urien is ready to go) this would be their chance to put more generalized work into the game for the rest of the year and try to gain back some mindshare.
Keep in mind that they'll likely also be working on Season 2 characters as well to get a jump start on them.

Teletraan1

Banned
I know they were trying to avoid putting out a Super SFV disc or whatever but at this point they pretty much have to in order to soft-relaunch the game, don't they? This is SFxTK levels of anti-momentum.

I would actually buy the game with a Super SFV release. I have no interest in the game as it currently stands unless it is heavily discounted. I rarely buy DLC on principle and prefer content complete games or versions.

I'm honestly interested in seeing what they do with the franchise in the future. Super? I mean, something gotta be done. I think the Evo hype is limited to current owners moreso than getting new owners. I hope current owners are buying DLC also.

Tenki

That's what happens when you release an broken unfinished game and your communication with the community is basically non-existent. Word of mouth has been horrible since launch, and it's all Capcom's fault.

Unknown?

I get that the game launched bare bones and people wanted more but I don't get people constantly bashing this game because they want more to this day. You don't like its lack of content? Okay just say so, don't say it's a terrible game because it's not. I also don't get people's obsession on pointing out how little it has sold for a household name.

But OT I hope it gets a boost now that the story mode is out and more characters.

Neoxon

I would actually buy the game with a Super SFV release. I have no interest in the game as it currently stands unless it is heavily discounted. I rarely buy DLC on principle and prefer content complete games or versions.
By that logic, you may have to wait 5 or so years.

I'm honestly interested in seeing what they do with the franchise in the future. Super? I mean, something gotta be done. I think the Evo hype is limited to current owners moreso than getting new owners. I hope current owners are buying DLC also.
As stated earlier, a Season 1 collection could achieve a similar result. I doubt that Capcom's sitting on 6-8 more characters right now (at best, they're just starting to work on them as they put the finishing touches on Urien), & part of the reason why Capcom ditched doing Super versions is because they don't want to split the player base.

Baleoce

I wonder if the sales will #RiseUp after evo

Diminishing returns at this point. But yeah, you'll probably see the odd spike after things like evo and capcom cup seen as that's what most of the marketing is aimed at (pro tour etc). But it won't be anything tide turning unless there's a business model shift and a wealthy ecosystem.

Zalman

Super Street Fighter V is inevitable. They won't force existing owners to upgrade, but they'll release a more complete package to attract newcomers.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Fighting games are dead. Capcom knew this and thats why they didnt want to make a new one until Sony stepped in.

It didnt help that it looks exactly like SFIV which came out nearly 8 years ago. I am pretty sure that kept the casuals away.

I like to think that, just like me, a lot of people is waiting for a "super" edition with all content included...
still, they overstocked, so it's ok, still selling

Neoxon

Super Street Fighter V is inevitable. They won't force existing owners to upgrade, but they'll release a more complete package to attract newcomers.
Again, "Street Fighter V: Season 1" would achieve pretty much the same result (just throw in the Season 1 characters, stages, costumes, etc. into one package & call it a day). Naming it Super would just give people the impression that Capcom went back on their word. If you mean something like a Complete Edition, we'll probably have to wait until 2021 or so for that.

Fighting games are dead. Capcom knew this and thats why they didnt want to make a new one until Sony stepped in.

It didnt help that it looks exactly like SFIV which came out nearly 8 years ago. I am pretty sure that kept the casuals away.
This game was gonna happen either way, Sony only sped up the process.

Also, lol at the bolded part.

I like to think that, just like me, a lot of people is waiting for a "super" edition with all content included...
still, they overstocked, so it's ok, still selling
As stated earlier, have fun waiting 5 years.

depths20XX

Hahaha.

They need to get versus CPU in pronto. That and lower character prices.

I don't know why people think versus CPU is gonna get a bunch of people to buy it. I doubt story mode did much for the game even though a bunch of people whined that it was delayed for a few months. I really doubt those people came back to buy it later.

Ushay

Lack of characters is probably the biggest reason for this. Combine that with the initial lack of features and limiting platforms too.

Im sure things will be better once more favourite characters are released.

KingBroly

Banned
I get that the game launched bare bones and people wanted more but I don't get people constantly bashing this game because they want more to this day. You don't like its lack of content? Okay just say so, don't say it's a terrible game because it's not. I also don't get people's obsession on pointing out how little it has sold for a household name.

But OT I hope it gets a boost now that the story mode is out and more characters.

It's not that the game launched barebones, and still is (albeit less so), but that the content provided simply isn't that good.

Neoxon

Lack of characters is probably the biggest reason for this. Combine that with the initial lack of features and limiting platforms too.

Im sure things will be better once more favourite characters are released.
But that may take a while, especially at Capcom's current 6-characters-per-season trajectory (which may go up to 8 next year since they don't have to worry about getting the base game out the door).

Nah, a botched launch and bad WoM hurt this game way more than the 'current state of fighters,' which BTW is far from dead.

And go back and play SFIV, even on Ultra settings it looks and animates terribly in comparison to SFV.

Top Bottom