• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Under Kamala Harris, California fought to limit parole so immates could fight wildfires for $2 a day

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006

Lawyers for California also argued that allowing certain inmates to be paroled early would deplete a program that allowed prisons to fight wildfires.
Ordered to reduce the population of California’s overcrowded prisons, lawyers from then-California Attorney General Kamala Harris’ office made the case that some non-violent offenders needed to stay incarcerated or else the prison system would lose a source of cheap labor.

In 2011, the Supreme Court ruled in Brown v. Plata that California’s prisons were so overcrowded that they violated the Constitution’s prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment. Three years later, in early 2014, the state was ordered to allow non-violent, second time offenders who have served half of their sentence to be eligible for parole.

By September 2014, plaintiffs in the class-action lawsuit were back in court, accusing California of slow-walking the process, which lawyers for Harris’ office denied.

According to court filings, lawyers for the state said California met benchmarks, and argued that if certain potential parolees were given a faster track out of prison, it would negatively affect the prison’s labor programs, including one that allowed certain inmates to fight California’s wildfires for about $2 a day.
So Kamala Harris' subordinates prevented people who were scheduled for released from prison from being released, and then gave them the option to fight fires (and do other dirty, dangerous jobs) for less than what Chinese sweatshop slave laborers make a day.

Obviously this is old news (and apologies for TDB, but I think that emphasizes how insane this is), but this woman has run a campaign on intersectional politics, decrying Drumpf's racism and bigotry, and using her race as a shield for criticism. Meanwhile, she held (statistically) poor minorities in prison so that they could protect the homes of (relatively) wealthy Californians, clean the parks wealthy Californians utilize, and clean the cities that decadent Californian politicians allowed to be filled with shit and needles.

This same California just destroyed a section of their economy because people who were demonstrably making good livings and supplemental income were not making "fair wages".

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Dang I'm really glad she was fighting the good fight against the gig economy.
If she is ever AG again, she will probably just kidnap imprison a couple hundred potheads dangerous felons and institute public taxis to make up for the loss of Uber. Imagine all the Silicon Valley employees calling up the Harris Taxi Service as they head for a working lunch at the hip local vegan pizzeria, smiling and laughing and tweeting about Drumpf as the inmate drives them about for $2 a day. That's the Democrat way.

Come to think about it, people who leak information against the DNC would also make good drivers. That seems kind of, ah, odd, now that I think about it. Like Kamala tried to make a system where dissenters could be imprisoned and forced to do labor.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Amazing how all these holier than thou left wing democrats aren't so righteous the more you peel the onion.
That's not a unique feature of the Democrats, though.

Please don't misunderstand this as trying to play Republicans Too™. It hints at a more fundamental problem with oversized blocs of political power, which is why I advocate for smaller government when it's sensible.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
She needs to combat this claim with a hearty, full-throated denial. I mean, she can’t let this go down unchallenged; they’re trying to bring her to her knees. She needs to stand up and tell the world this sucks and that she isn’t gonna take it lying down.

Last edited:

FMXVII

Banned
Aug 27, 2019
She needs to combat this claim with a hearty, full-throated denial. I mean, she can’t let this go down unchallenged; they’re trying to bring her to her knees. She needs to stand up and tell the world this sucks and that she isn’t gonna take it lying down.
It really, truly blows.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
I'm all for it. Put inmates to work instead of them costing us money. Don't release them just because there's too many of them.

Reactions: mayl3