• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] announced for PS4, PS3, and PS Vita

rockx4

What is it with some of these japanese game titles. Almost seems like they flipped through a dictionary and picked random words.

What is it with some of these japanese game titles. Almost seems like they flipped through a dictionary and picked random words.

I can handle the seemingly random words. Even English titles can sound strange or disjointed or be a collection of words that verge on nonsense (The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Horizon Zero Dawn). So it doesn't matter to me if a Japanese game has a name like "Kingdom Hearts" because that's not a strictly Japanese convention.

What is a Japanese convention is the aggressive misuse of grammar, syntax, and symbols. Semicolons, brackets, hashtags, and hyphens are thrown in, along with arbitrary capitalization, to create something that looks more to me like a 2003 screen name than a video game title.

This game, for as good as it apparently is, has a title that verges on parody. I wonder if titles like this prevent these games from being taken seriously by potential players. I know I didn't want to play Firefly Diary because it was called htoL#NiQ.

But for certain players, bizarre titles seem to be part of the "charm." I don't get it myself, but I also don't play many of these games.

I'm currently really enjoying Yomawari: Night Alone. If the game was called ~NiGHT[moon]; Re:Lost Girl DX~, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

And none of this is to say I evaluate my likelihood of a game strictly and explicitly on titles, but it's still your first impression of many games. This is apparently a really cool fighter, but from the title, I would think it was a visual novel or something.

StereoVsn

I question that they will sell more on Vita and PS3 then PC. Yes, they didn't sell well for the first version but day to day on Steam can't possibly do worse then PS3/Vita. Can't see those two charting in Japan and western sales for those are even worse.

Astarte

melty hd when

Though I'm glad to finally get a way less stupid version of uniel where almost the entire cast is usable now and meme wind gkrl and angry electric man aren't garbage

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I never actually got around to playing this thing, but I'll pick up the new version on PS4.

I would kill for a new MBAA release on PS4, too.

Because it's a dumb as fuck title.

This one is CLEARLY genious tho. They already have a version with a title ending in "Late", so now just add "st" and the title announces itself as the Late[st] version of the game

Not serious but the Latest thing amuses me lol

This one is CLEARLY genious tho. They already have a version with a title ending in "Late", so now just add "st" and the title announces itself as the Late[st] version of the game

Not serious but the Latest thing amuses me lol

what happens when the 2nd update comes out though?

melty hd when

Though I'm glad to finally get a way less stupid version of uniel where almost the entire cast is usable now and meme wind gkrl and angry electric man aren't garbage

Yeah. The Hilda matchup as Nanase is what ultimately made me quit the game pretty quickly. Especially since Hilda's were EVERYWHERE

I'll give it another shot though with this version. PS4 + new game should get people playing again.

Not sure if I'll resume where I left off with Nanase or try Whip girl tho

Kumubou

French Bread has been doing all-world Engrish since the dawn of time. I mean, this is the team that used such titles as Melty Blood and Drill Milky Punch.

As an aside, I would imagine a PC version is coming (Japan is actually the second biggest market for UNIEL and the biggest market for Melty Blood on Steam, per SteamSpy) but they're probably leaving that to ArcSys. I would imagine that most of their staff is working on whatever their new arcade game is (which is probably a new Melty Blood -- that is, if Nasu can stop counting money from F/GO and finish the script).

there have been an update, as the game will will launch on July 20 in Japan. It will cost 6,800 yen at retail and 5,370 yen via download on PlayStation 4. The PlayStation 3 and PS Vita versions will be digital-only and cost 5,370 yen.

I hope we don't have to wait that much for the English version.

can't wait to play my Hilda, I hope she doesn't get nerfed that much

LordKasual

Banned
UNIEL is legit one of THE most solid fighting games ive ever played.

But i can never bring myself to play it because, jesus christ, just release the game overseas already.

Is this the latest version? Will we get this 2 months before they announce a successor edition?

How are fighting games on Vita? Seems like such a weird type of game to play portably but if it's not that much effort to port it I guess it makes sense to just put it out there.

i-Jest

If all three versions come to the west, then I'll buy all three. PS3 vanilla version was fun so I don't mind supporting the name, after all it needs all the support it can get. The enemy of solid niche fighters is always obscurity.

Tagavaka

Neo Member
The name is a bit odd but that's to be expected.

Nice to see the Vita still getting some titles

I haven't played anything like this in a while so looking forward to it

Heck yesssss

I've been waiting so long for this to come over and now it's happening! I get buffed Nanase, and hopefully Phonon and that new dude are fun to play. Can't wait! I'll probably get the digital version, but physical is a dream, even if there's no physical Vita version.

No one has mentioned it but there's going to be 19 characters. So far there's 17, with Enkidu. So that is 2 more characters.

So basically that's the 2 arcade characters (Phonon and Mika) and 3 new characters (Enkidu and 2 others). I think 5 characters and a PS4 version are enough to warrant a purchase from me.

joe2187

Banned
Yoooooooooo! VITA!

2728264-5447345914-4fcXO.gif

WarRock

I've had given up on home versions of Late[st], so, fuck yes! Maybe I'll be able to play Seth now.

ps.: Gordeau is the one true boonga

Mista Koo

By normal i mean a title that's not just a bunch of random foreign words and symbols, i mean such a title looks like a mess even to me that English isn't my language, i would prefer real Japanese titles(danganronpa, oreshika and so on for example).
I was half joking but it could mean something from a Japanese POV.
I believe I heard Danganronpa wasn't an actual word but it sounded cool (the interview video is too long and I can't easily look that part up). And Oreshika is an abbreviation.

Imagine if the next Halo game was called Konichiwa Oyasumi Sugoi: 29-4/tuski-desu or some shit.

This is on the same level.
Not really. You are assuming that the target audience can't read nor understand these words.

Korigama

Already heard a bit earlier that this was happening, and even though I'm still interested, they took entirely too long to port it.

True Fire

Jesus, even Under Night would've been a bad title. Under Night In-Birth would've been a contender for worst title of all time. But the full title? My brain can't even process it fully.

petran79

Banned
I was half joking but it could mean something from a Japanese POV.
I believe I heard Danganronpa wasn't an actual word but it sounded cool (the interview video is too long and I can't easily look that part up). And Oreshika is an abbreviation.

Title is also a part of the game's plot development. Gears, In-births, Blazblues, whatever....

For anybody wondering what the appeal of this game is, here's my GOTY entry for 2015 below. I got interested in the game from old Arturo Sanchez streams, started playing it and still do some matches now and then when I have time.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190769238&postcount=1472

d3MShsN.jpg

1. Under Night In-birth Exe:Late[st] ; Frenchbread Arcade An anime fighting game, on your top 10? Skipping to the next list! No, I know. There's so many of these nowadays aren't there? What makes one more compelling than the other?

Under Night In-birth is the first major fighting game release from the French Bread studio, and one that for all intents and purposes I ignored when it was debuted back in 2012 in the arcade. It seemed like yet another generic anime fighter, complete with a kid in a high school uniform using a sword, a black winged demon...thing, and a loli space fairy. Basically it didn't do much for me at first.

Three years later and I’m playing it three times a week and I consider it probably the best fighter out there at the moment. “UNI” as regular players call it, has been steadily updated over the past three years to achieve a pretty solid balance among its characters. Really, the best version of this game is probably the PS3 version (soon to be on Steam) called Exe:Late. It has some balance issues (read: pirate-esque character Gordeau beats everyone), but it is all around a fantastic fighter. Simple enough to play with any of your friends, once you get any deeper in, the gameplay systems are impressively complex. You not only have "supers" but can also use the same meter to boost the damage of your combos, and unleash a desperation move with the "Veil Off" system. There's also a "GRD" meter in the middle of the screen that essentially rewards you for either hitting your opponent, or blocking well. These two systems create a fine tension between offense and defense that can lead to incredible comebacks.

The strength of UNI is also in its characters (though not visually IMO). The "puddle" and "floor spike" placements of Carmine for instance make him, for me, one of the more compelling fighting game characters of this gen. Most characters are really fun to try out, although there are a couple I wish didn't exist (like Vatista and Eltnum). That said, there's probably about 4 characters in the game that I would like to play hardcore if I had the time, which is more than I can say for most fighters.

So all that info out of the way, Exe:Late[st] is the (latest) arcade version and it was released this year in the arcades. It adds in new whip-based character Phonon, web-based fighter Byakuya, as well as the ability to cancel into the "Veil-Off" state mid-combo for huge damage (CCVO=Cross-Cast Veil-Offs). The result is that you have a game with more merciless combos, and slightly better overall balance than the previous installment. Characters like Chaos, who uses a pet dragon to do his attacking, have been boosted, and previously top tier Gordeau has largely been downgraded.

As a whole, I still prefer the PS3 version, especially since this is an arcade exclusive at the moment and it tends to eat my wallet since I’m not the greatest player. That said, not only in terms of play time but also in terms of watching tournaments, it’s definitely the game I spent the most time on this year, and I really love it.

While we're waiting for the Famitsu news to drop, here are my predictions for changes to character balance (if there will be any):

1. Nerfs on Akatsuki and Seth. While UNIEST had a great character balance, these two were just simply overpowered. There's stuff that Akatsuki can do that the rest of the cast just can't really respond to, and while Seth is beatable, fighting him is currently pretty overwhelming. Would imagine we'll see tweaks to key moves to bring these two back into a more averaged range.
  2. Buffs for Mika and Linne. Mika was the new character added in the latest version, but she hasn't really lit up the scoreboard yet. She seems to be a case where if you get used to the attack flow, she's on the weaker side of the tier list so I imagine we'll see a buff here. Linne still seems pretty strong to me in UNIEST but I think they'll just buff her a little bit because she's one of the main characters.
Otherwise, it's hard to say. I could see a nerf for Vatista and Phonon as well, in fact I would recommend them if anything since these characters' lock-down is pretty crazy, but that's not an issue French Bread has ever seemed much concerned with lol. Thankfully, the base balance of UNIEST is really strong, so all they need to do is really carry that over onto next gen to get me on board.

Incidentally, I will probably be going DL version for this one because I imagine I'll be playing it a lot! Depends on if they do an LE though.

It's nice to see that the game has a somewhat positive reception on gaf, I'm a big fan of Under Night and I'm glad more people are exposed to it.

It would help also if you guys bought Exe:Late on Steam so maybe it'll improve our chance of getting this ported to pc in the west just saying hint hint

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
http://gematsu.com/2017/04/night-birth-exelatest-first-details-screenshots

Arc System Works has released the first details and screenshots of the recently announced PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PS Vita version of French-Bread-developed fighting game Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st].

The console version includes a new playable character named Enkidu, an additional 10-hour story, Training Mode and Misison Mode, balance adjustments, and more.

Under-Night_04-27-17_002.jpg

■ New Character: Enkidu
■ 10-Hour Story Added
■ Tutorial Mode and Mission Mode Added
■ PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 Cross-Play
■ Early Purchase Bonus: Original Soundtrack

Noice.

Top Bottom