• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated N64 games.

krizzx

Duke Nukem: Zero Hour

The last great duke nukem game.

Duke_Nukem_Zero_Hour_box.jpg

gfs_85036_2_9.jpg

NINTENDO64--Duke%20Nukem%20%20ZER0%20H0UR_Jun2%200_16_17.png

Almost none of the games posted in here are "underrated".

Most of them were liked then and now.

I was thinking the same thing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Many of these are not underrated. Jet Force Gemini was a huge Rare title at the time. I also think it's a bit shit, but that's besides the point. Blast Corps is also pretty popular in the hardcore circle.

There is a VAST C-tier library on N64 that goes largely unappreciated. Games like Buck Bumble, Battle Tanx, Hybrid Heaven (incredible cinematic presentation for the time), etc. Those were some good fun.

Striker

Always played and loved Battletanx. It may have sold fairly well since it got a sequel. I don't think that one fared too well, though. Had to be one of my favorite local MP games on the system.

jC00dsRwExoJ7.jpg

Sojiro

Goemon's Great Adventure / Mystical Ninja 2. One of the best 2D platformers in the universe. Including couch co-op. Oh my god I'm gonna play this game right now.

My Man! I would kill for this to hit Wii U VC sometime. Going to throw out Gauntlet 64, its a fun game, especially the more players you have. Also a shoutout to mischief makers, because the game is so awesome.

leakey

Shadows of the Empire was fantastic. The sewers always creeped me out. That, Hoth, Speederbike racing on Tatooine. So great.

freddy

Banned
I had some fun with Shadowman but it hasn't aged well after playing it on Steam. Also there was a game called Winback that was good.

Hybrid Heaven was amazing. Dat suplex!

4301_front.jpg
Fighters Destiny. Because who doesn't like instant death at the hand of a single unblockable throw from the CPU in a vs fighting game.

Suddenly, I'm 12 again. ;_

I'll add this:

WinBack.jpg

The game was influenced by Metal Gear Solid and, in turn, WinBack's cover system eventually went on to influence several later shooters, including Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2001) and Kill Switch (2003), which in turn influenced games like Gears of War (2006). The cover system has since become a staple of third-person shooters.[1][2] WinBack also featured a laser sight mechanic that was later incorporated in action games such as Metal Gear Solid 2 and Resident Evil 4 (2005), and in turn would also become a staple of third-person shooters.[2]

Top Bottom