• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated or Underappreciated Games more people should play.

Marvel14

Banned
I am amazed there isn't a thread repository for bigging up Games that passed most people by regardless of platform.

The Playstation nostalgia thread is here:

So here is the place for the rest.

I am going to focus on just a couple games with a quick blurb on what it is and why people should play it:

1. The Touryst (switch exclusive). Simple to control puzzle quasi platformer with lovely visuals. A satisfying 7 hour adventure with some great in-game 8/16 bit nostalgia. Something familiar that's a bit different.

2. A Short Hike(multiplat). A simple trek up a mountain with plenty of distractions, makes for an innocent , heartwarming, little 2-3 hour adventure. It soars the more you play.

Hope folk like the format.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Prey remains the greatest FPS of all time. Be kind to yourself and give it a whirl. You can play it on PC, or on Xbox 360, One, or Series X, with their handy backwards compatibility. Don't confuse it with Prey though, that's a completely unrelated game.

STALKER is super mega cool. If you like FPS, STALKER's just about got the greatest mechanics to play with. A nice dark atmosphere and wonderful lore as well.

The Witcher. The first one. You all know about it, but so few of you gave it a fair shot. Only the weak can't handle the jank. With the first game's story, music, quests, dialogue, as well as the general atmosphere, it still remains my favorite Witcher game. Wild Hunt is right behind, naturally.

HEYYY. HEY. WHY DO ONLY I TALK ABOUT FAR CRY PRIMAL. I was not prepared for that game. I expected Ubisoft to be lazy. I expected to see modern-day humans chucking spears and speaking English. A CONSTRUCTED LANGUAGE? Convincingly authentic prehistoric anatomy? A free patched in survival mode to up the difficulty and add and remove features? Dude. Unexpected. Ubisoft did good by me.

Hey, have you seen this game, Scanner Sombre? Shit's tight. The whole world is entirely black, untextured and unlit, and so to see, you shoot out these particles that stick to surfaces. You can control the density of the particle beam, as the more particles around any spot, the greater the detail you can perceive.

From this last generation, two that immediately jump to mind are PREY and Nex Machina.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves, filthy incels.

When we all thought that the Vita store was going to shut down, I panic-binged on games. One of them was:

A Rose in Twilight

It's actually a really good game and I'd never heard of it before! It's a puzzle-platformer - usually I grow tired of that type of game and don't finish them, but this one actually had a very intriguing story and some pretty imaginative mechanics.

It's apparently currently on sale on steam for $4, so there's that too.

Guilty_AI

the list is reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaally long y'know.

Well, my vote currently goes to Enderal, free total conversion mod for Skyrim that has its own story, map, lore, game systems, etc.
While its smaller in scope than Skyrim, it feels much more fleshed out with better writing, characters, more insteresting skillsets, etc.

Another one is Crosscode (also on GOG, and pretty much every console). People often dismiss the game for being a "2D indie pixelated game", but this is easily one of the best action-adventure-rpg games out there. Great story and characters, charming main character, excellent combat and progression, glorious level and world design, huge amount of actual content (not just copy and paste bullshit). Game has everything you could ask for in the genre and does all of it well.

Last edited:

Aldynes

Primal and Ghost Hunter both exclusive to PS2 super underrated games.
Ooooh this made my day ! 100% agree, the atmosphere in both, gameplay, completely insane graphics for PS2 Ghosthunter looks like a early PS3 game when you see how much detailed the main character is when viewing it closely, the deformations, the dynamic lighting, a DF RETRO on theses two MUST be done!

Kimahri

Banned
Left Alive by Square Enix.

People hated it and said it was broken and horrible etc etc, but it wasn't. It had issues, but it just plopped you into this incredibly dangersou world and you died a lot, but it had such intensity, was fucking awesome when you figured out how to survive it, had brilliant music and an actually great story.

The character design and voice acting was also up there.

Fuck me, now I feel like replaying it again. That's the thing though. Once you beat it, you get to turn on some shit that should have been there from the start. Like one shot from the gun kills the enemy. Perfect. They can kill you with barely a shot, so why not go the other way too? Anyways. I'm off, time to replay Left Alive.

Prey remains the greatest FPS of all time. Be kind to yourself and give it a whirl. You can play it on PC, or on Xbox 360, One, or Series X, with their handy backwards compatibility. Don't confuse it with Prey though, that's a completely unrelated game.
now I'm confused

arvfab

Banned
1. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PS4). Really well told story. Loved the mix between visual novel and strategy gameplay.

2. Doshin The Giant (GameCube). I... really do not remember WHY I liked it, only THAT I remember liking it a lot.

3. Tombi/Tomba 1&2 (Playstation). Hilarious platformer/adventure game.

4. Clock Tower (Playstation). A mix between point&click adventure and horror. Very bad graphics, but story and atmosphere a lot more "terrifying" than most modern day horror games. Never managed to finish the SNES prequel and part 2 on PS1, but played and beat part 3 which was ok, but unfortunately not as good as the first one.

Last edited:

Terenty

Rain World.

It's like it came from another dimension or timeline - hardcore, brimming with creativity, and featuring the best AI in video games period.

The amount of adrenaline you will get from it is only comparable to Dark Souls games

Personally, i put it right next to and sometimes above all time classics like Deus Ex, Resident Evil 4, mgs series, Zelda lttp, Demon/Dark souls etc.

I will forever shill this game

Very cheap on Steam

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Easily....
bIsL7LdWIVw9V46oHJ0PIwZv.png

Ogbert

Wizard of Legend is a great rogue like. Loads of combat arts to discover. Loads of builds. Great combat. Excellent aesthetic.

The exact opposite or Returnal, which has
superb mechanics but is a bloody awful rogue like.

fart town usa

Gold Member
As someone mentioned above, Singularity.

Silent Hill: Homecoming - Been updating a RTTP thread the last few days, I'm absolutely loving this game right now. I really think more people should go back and revisit it.
RE: Code Veronica X - For years I thought this game was underwhelming, a few years back I revisited it and realized how wrong I was. The story is meh but the gameplay is absolutely top notch.
T.R.A.G: Mission of Mercy (Hard Edge in Europe) - Anime style action/adventure game. Has fixed camera angles and pre-rendered backgrounds like RE. This game was trashed by reviews but it's honestly a really cool game. Multiple characters you can switch to on the fly, tons of puzzles, beat 'em up elements, guns. Developed by Sunsoft.
Ratchet & Clank Series (A Crack in Time)- Yes the franchise is massive but I'm including it because some people still seem to think that it's a dumb kids game. It definitely is marketed to kids but these games are for everyone. I really can't stress how much fun they are, especially A Crack in Time on the PS3, it's seriously one of the best game I've ever played.
Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding - 2 games on the xbox, 1 on the 360. The first is still the best though, fantastic graphics with impressive draw distance, easy controls and a fantastic OST. Tons of songs from indie bands that really capture a snowboarding movie vibe. It's like Skate but with snowboarding. Just super chill and relaxing if you want it to be, difficult if you want to complete all the objectives. The game is cheap as hell, less than $5 usually. Highly recommend checking this game out.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I am amazed there isn't a thread repository for bigging up Games that passed most people by regardless of platform.

I am going to focus on just a couple games with a quick blurb on what it is and why people should play it:

1. The Touryst (switch exclusive). Simple to control puzzle quasi platformer with lovely visuals. A satisfying 7 hour adventure with some great in-game 8/16 bit nostalgia. Something familiar that's a bit different.

2. A Short Hike(multiplat). A simple trek up a mountain with plenty of distractions, makes for an innocent , heartwarming, little 2-3 hour adventure. It soars the more you play.

I played the touryst on xbox, its great. Runs at a super high res as well

1.) Shadow of the tomb raider: i think its the best of the nu raider games. It strikes a great balance between fun explosive set piece action and a fantastic, genuinley creepy atmosphere. There are a lot of optional tombs and crypts, and they were all really great. Some of them where creepy as fuck as well. Seriously some parts in this game gave me the same sense of dread that tombs in the original ps1 games did. Its also really great looking as well. If you have an xbox series x its 4k 60 fps

Last edited:
On DS:

Ghost Trick

(it's now on iOS now too)

It's a murder mystery where you're solving your own murder - and have like the 4 minutes before someone else's murder to stop them from being killed. It's surprisingly touching, especially if you love cats and dogs. Really clever puzzles, and fantastic rotoscoped hand-drawn animation.

If any of you are into the stylish shooty-bang-bang genre then I fully recomend considering giving both WET and NeverDead a chance. Especially, the latter. It got completely wronged by an incompetent media clique.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

I can't remember if this is a PlayStation exclusive, but it is a really fun adventure game from Hello Games, the small team that made No Man's Sky. I loved every second playing this game, it was my second platinum, and I never hear or read people talking about it. It is like the perfectly paced adventure.

Fredrik

I can't remember if this is a PlayStation exclusive, but it is a really fun adventure game from Hello Games, the small team that made No Man's Sky. I loved every second playing this game, it was my second platinum, and I never hear or read people talking about it. It is like the perfectly paced adventure.
No it’s everywhere I think, played it on Xbox through Gamepass, it’s stellar 👌

I don't think the Touryst is exclusive to the Switch. It's on Gamepass.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Almost all Front Software games pre Demon Souls. You know, stuff like Echo Night, King's Field, Lost Kingdoms, Otogi. Some of those are a little rough at first, but once you get used to them they are very fun and interesting games.

• A Boy and His Blob Wii (also available on other platforms)
  • Punch-Out!! Wii
  • Ghost Squad on Wii
  • Full Auto on Xbox 360
  • motherfucking Blur
  • Driver San Francisco
  • The Saboteur
  • Vanquish
  • Shox on PS2 is quite fun
  • Shinobi PS2
  • Sega Saturn library of games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Atelier Ryza 1 & 2. The whole series are niche but I’ll give a special shout out to those two games in the series as they are, if anything, good feel good stories.
Definitely agree with this Ryza was my first game to Atelier series and I was surprised how much enjoyed the game and I immediately got the sequel and was not disappointed.

capsule_616x353.jpg

Sayonara Wild Hearts is an absolute gem which should be lauded alongside other indie giants like Hollow Knight and Hades. I'll die on this hill.

Super arcadey game, very short, but full on content in its message and plenty of challenge for those who like chasing high scores and getting everything a game has to offer.

Almost all Front Software games pre Demon Souls. You know, stuff like Echo Night, King's Field, Lost Kingdoms, Otogi. Some of those are a little rough at first, but once you get used to them they are very fun and interesting games.
I was going to specifically mention

taccover.jpg

Such incredible atmosphere. Yeah, it plays slowly, but once you synchronize with its rhythms, it's so easy to get lost within.

And I never miss a chance to mention this gem:

capsule_616x353.jpg

I know it was favorably received, but with so many games on PC, P&C and otherwise, it's easy to get lost in the shuffle. One of the best games I've ever played with such amazing atmosphere and a lovingly hand-touched feel, both in terms of story and music/aesthetics. (only made by 2 people - a Swedish couple) And the narrative is so deep and has tons of room for interpretation. I think about this game often. A genuine work of art. If you love Alice in Wonderland or the ilk, and have any tolerance for point n click, you should definitely play it.

81mhSeVIH3L._SX385_.jpg

If you love Platinum and/or beat-em-ups like God Hand, this is criminally underappreciated imho.

So many more, but that's a little contribution.

Last edited:
The Age of Wonders series- turn based strategy,
Dawn of War 2- real time strategy,
Elex- RPG,
Kingdom Under Fire- hack n slash tactics,
Quantum Break- third person shooter,
and more recently Wasteland 3- tactics RPG.

junguler

Banned
mad max was that for me, it captures the look and feel of post apocalypse perfectly and it's the only instance of a game where resource scarcity actually made sense imo for the story and gameplay.

Top Bottom