• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated PSP Games - UMD or PSN

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
So I have a PSP that I've mostly been using for emulation, but I'm starting to wish I was taking advantage of the power the little machine offers. I've been through a dozen "Top 25 PSP games" lists and none of them really appeal to me. I couldn't get into Patapon or Loco Roco, I've played both of the God of War games for the system...I need something different.

Good JRPGs or Action/Platformer or weird quicky Katamari style games are my jams.

Also, I've been hesitant to get into the Persona series, but those games are so highly rated, I don't know how much longer I can resist. Anyone out there a Persona convert that can convince me to get them?

DiscoJer

Pangya Golf

Legend of Heroes trilogy from Bandai (people complain about the translation, but it's no worse than SNES era Square)

Steel

Banned
Persona 1-2 are completely different from 3 if you want to get into it.

As for underrated, check kingdom of paradise. There are quite a lot of gems on the psp.

leakey

JRPGs.. Tactics Ogre, Jeanne d'Arc, Trails in the Sky, Ys, ChronoTrigger, Xenogears, Chain of Memories...

Half Minute Hero - best game on the psp for me. kind of an arcade action rpg.
Growlanser : wayfarer of time - brilliant branching rpg with a fairly unique battle system
Hexyz Force - rpg where you can fast forward battles
Mega Man Maverick Hunter - remake of megaman x with a cool new mode where you play as vile, which is lots of fun
Kenka Bancho Badass Rumble - run around a town on a school trip to try and beat up the strongest people from other schools or have fun on the trip with your friends. Not really sure how to genre it. simulation/action?

Star Ocean 2 & BOF3 are good if you didn't play them on the psx. BOF3 is only available in europe though

Jucksalbe

Banned
PoPoLoCrois and Brave Story seem like good games (JRPGs), though admittedly I didn't play them for very long yet.

Edit: And I haven't looked at any Top 25 lists, but I bet most of them forgot Corpse Party.

Beth Cyra

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X is amazing. Not quite as good as the original, but still super fucking awesome.

Metal Gear ACID 1 and 2 are both great. 2 Is the best thing to have the name Metal Gear since the release of MGS 1 on PSX.

Dracula X Chronicles is also really great. Some don't like the remake, personally I loved it. The new art is top notch and the addition of SOTN in the package make it well worth it.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Ridge Racer, Tomb Raider Legend, Tomb Raider Anniversary, GTACW and Burnout Legends. Metal Gear Ac!d 1 in addition to 2 (I really need to finish 1 and play 2 as well).

Cave Story is available unofficially.

Persona 3 is an absolute must. Don't even think about it, just forget everything else and play that because that'll last you the equivalent of all the games listed if you complete it to the end.

khaaan

Tokobots is a fun little platformer that was also on the PS2. Gameplay revolves around commanding these little robots that follow you around to get into different formations which in turn give you access to different traversal and/or offensive attacks.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hot Shots Tennis made up for the disappointment that was Mario Tennis Open.

Was just about to mention that. I don't see it recommended very often, but it really is a lot of fun.

Edit: Also, I really enjoyed "What did I do to Deserve this my Lord?" games.
And I don't know if it's usually underrated, but take a look at Z.H.P.

dankir

Patapon and its Sequel!

Musical sidescrolling strategy game!

oh wait I just read what you wrote..... umm Wipeout on the PSP was great and Lumines too!

UberTag

Good JRPGs or Action/Platformer or weird quicky Katamari style games are my jams.
You said the magic words. If you haven't played Trails in the Sky, you haven't played every good JRPG that's worth playing.

250px-Loh6_The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_in_the_Sky.jpg

I know I just need to push Trails in the Sky in any PSP related thread.
Until everyone that has a shred of interest in JRPGs has at least tried Trails in the Sky for themselves, it REMAINS underrated. Even on GAF. Where it is rated higher than anywhere else.

Goli

Unchained Blades. It's a first person dungeon crawler with awful animu characters but the gameplay itself adds a lot of little things to the mix as far as first person dungeon crawlers go.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The best game on the system is the Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles. A remake of the fabulous Rondo of Blood that came out on the Turbografx 16-CD, and it also includes both the original game and one of the best game ever in Symphony of the Night. I bought my PSP for this, and it was worth it only for this game.

You might think Daxter is a shitty spin-off, but it's an excellent platformer that is reminiscent of Jak 1 more than any ND game since.

The Badman games rock hard. Weird dungeon ecosystem management games where you need to defend against invading heroes. Hard as balls, complicated, quirky, very funny. Feel free to start right from the third game, No More Heroes!

phants

Gaf has my taste in PSP Games. Although nobody has mentioned Gripshift yet.

Love your work <3

In addition, my list would include - but not be exclusive to - the following (in no particular order):

• Ridge Racer
  • Jeanne d'Arc
  • Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
  • Puzzle Quest
  • Space Invaders Extreme
  • Valkyria Chronicles II
  • Fieldrunners
  • Field Commander

m0t0k1

That's one I actually did play. Interesting concept that I felt was hampered by poor pacing.

Yeah the pacing was a bit off. But just for the cool concept i felt the need to add that one to the list. Got it for like €10 in the budget bin so didnt expect much but was pleasent surprised so it kinda stuck with me.

X-Men Legends 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance are both very good and fit perfectly on a handheld.

I wish both of them were on PSN so I could play them on my Vita, my PSP is really crappy and I'd love to use the Vita sticks instead of the PSP nub. :(

Tomb Raider Anniversary is actually a really good port for the PSP if you're into platform/adventure games. It's a really beefy game and looks pretty darn good too. never really had an issue with the camera.

EMT0

Banned
All Persona fans are converts OP. And most people that play Persona games called Persona 3 or Persona 4 seem to stick to being fans like glue.

Phantom Brave, Brave Story and Popolocrois all come highly recomended from me in terms of PSP games I never hear mentioned on here (Outside this thread at least).

Ape Escape, Ratchet and Clank and the Prinny games are pretty good platformers, and the two Capcom Collection releases are pretty great value as well.

If you like Katamari, there is actually a PSP Katamari spinoff I think...

Aerocrane

Others have already mentioned Ridge Racer PSP, but I'd say get Ridge Racer 2 if you can find the UMD for cheap. It adds 9 more courses and some new songs (some from older games) and remixes. If you like WipEout games, WipEout Pulse is a great portable version of the series. If you have played WipEout HD you will have seen most of the tracks, which originally appeared in WipEout Pure which also was a PSP game. Also Lumines is a great puzzle game for PSP.

Malreyn

Kencho Bancho Badass rumble. I thought this game was pretty funny and had a quirky charm to it. Certainly not a great game, but its not overtly horrible.

Top Bottom