• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated PSP Games - UMD or PSN

batbeg

Locoroco 1&2
everybody loves Patapon, but his little brother is poor talked about. I can assure you that behind the simple controls there's a deep and involving games. Also both my wife and my daughter like it and that means always something good.
locoroco-01.jpg

No love for Midnight Carnival? MC might very well have been my favorite platformer last gen, with super satisfying mechanics, changed level design, INSANE challenge and all the awesome charm of the other locoroco games.

koh.jpg

Its called Kingdom of Paradis in the US. And the cover is even worse in he US.
But its a good game with a deep combat system and beautiful environments.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
after dangan ronpa comes out and i beat that i will FINALLY play Trails in the Sky

people won't shut up about it

Tayaya

I have still not played Trails in the Sky. Given my love of Falcom games I really need to get on this bandwagon. Maybe after I finish replaying Xenogears again and Y's Celceta.

There was a Carnage Heart game for the PSP!?!?!?!? I really, really, really need to find a copy of that. Had no idea at all!

My personal recommendations would be:
Ridge Racer 2 - I think you have to import this one. It's basically a re-hash of the first PSP Ridge Racer (same engine, same intro movie, same menus), but instead includes the tracks from pretty much every good RR game - All tracks from Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer Revolution, Rage Racer, Rave Raver, and R4 are here. As Ridge Racer games go, it really is the best one - only flaw is that it lacks R4's yellow-ass menus and style.

Ace Combat: Joint Assault - Great portable Ace Combat game with co-op multiplayer (even online if the server still exists).

Phantasy Star Portable 2 - Like a portable version of Phantasy Star Universe. Loads of content, lightning fast load times if you install to memory stick, and online play (again, if the server's still there).

Gods Eater Burst - Like a story-driven Monster Hunter but a bit more forgiving gameplay-wise, and with the inclusion of AI teammates, which is a boon when you don't have friends around.

There are other games that I'd highly recommend, but most of them have already been mentioned in the thread.

daoster

Man, if Sony of Japan made games like Loco Roco for the Vita, instead of trying to get console-lite games on it...I would be so happy. Loco Roco 1 and 2 were some of my favorite games from the PSP. So simple, so colorful, so cheery, so FUN!

Think I'm going to rebuy it for Vita.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I post some images for my suggestions:

Archibald's Adventures, extremely awesome puzzle games with 192 levels(Minis)
archibalds_screenshot_psp_07.png

Crystal Mines, 300 levels for the remake of a old Boulder Dash clone
0_825_04.png

Dracula Undead Awakening, awesome twin stick shooter(Minis)
dracula-undead-awakening-2.png

Why, I've never even heard of Guided Fate Paradox. What am I missing out on?
It's the official spiritual sequel for ps3, different story, characters and setting, same monsters, equips and gameplay.
ZHP seems to be more inspired though.

depward

Eye of Judgment Legends is a TERRIFIC CCG game. Had some really fun online play (shut down now I believe). Had a "story mode" which was pretty good.

Mecha

Mawaskes
A puzzle game with a great learning curve, the easy levels are just right to get you in the game, then it goes to really really difficult challenges if you dare. Also you can customize your avatar with strange shapes, i enjoyed it but i don't know why.
puzzle-guzzle-20.jpg

I never knew this game was localized, I enjoy the Japanese version quite a bit. The game at higher levels can get extremely fast paced.

Warhammer: Battle for Atluma was a very faithful adaption of the WarCry (Warhammer Fantasy) card game.

Dungeons & Dragons Tactics was a tactical, turn-based RPG which strictly adhered to the v3.5 ruleset.

Tayaya

Brandish

Everyone please run to XSEED HQ and beg them to localize this masterpiece.

*Hugs Japanese retail copy*

Oh yes I forgot all about that. I own it too... the Japanese slows me down a bit, but the gameplay's fantastic. It's the best interpretation of Brandish by far, and the music's excellent.

Wild Arms XF got some poor reviews (has a 68% average on Gamerankings) but it's seriously great. Cool FFT-esque class system (with lots of weird classes) and a great soundtrack. The main complaint that reviewers had was that you actually had to change up your party & strategy from situation to situation since they give you lots of different goals besides just "Kill anything" like avoid being detected or escape the map within X turns. Yes, that's right; there were actually reviews that complained that a Strategy/RPG required actual Strategy.

jdkluv

Oh yes I forgot all about that. I own it too... the Japanese slows me down a bit, but the gameplay's fantastic. It's the best interpretation of Brandish by far, and the music's excellent.

dat Fortress

Have you tried Brandish 2? It's even better and much varied than Brandish 1, plus bigger and better soundtrack. It's fucking awesome.

It's the official spiritual sequel for ps3, different story, characters and setting, same monsters, equips and gameplay.
ZHP seems to be more inspired though.

Darn, no PS3 =P

Wild Arms XF got some poor reviews (has a 68% average on Gamerankings) but it's seriously great. Cool FFT-esque class system (with lots of weird classes) and a great soundtrack. The main complaint that reviewers had was that you actually had to change up your party & strategy from situation to situation since they give you lots of different goals besides just "Kill anything" like avoid being detected or escape the map within X turns. Yes, that's right; there were actually reviews that complained that a Strategy/RPG required actual Strategy.

You just reminded me that I have this game, and it's Vita compatible too. Really need to play it at some point.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am actually surprised just how vast the PSP library is and this thread will help me with my PSP collection.

Already mentioned, ZHP: Unlosing Ranger VS Darknight is an awesome, underrated roguelike game:

zhp00.jpg

zhp-unlosing-ranger-vs-darkdeath-evilman-1.jpg
QnjPM.jpg

Holy hell that looks amazing.

Some great choices in this thread, keep 'em coming folks!

I'd personally support Jeanne D'arc as well for the list. It's criminally underrated for what it is, and a solid choice for any PSP owner. It also looks really nice when uprendered in PPSSPP where it's begun to work properly (the chracters were previously invisible until recent builds)

1080p screenshot with 2xSSAA (8x rendering resolution) from PPSSPP:-

Kuro

Some great choices in this thread, keep 'em coming folks!

I'd personally support Jeanne D'arc as well for the list. It's criminally underrated for what it is, and a solid choice for any PSP owner. It also looks really nice when uprendered in PPSSPP where it's begun to work properly (the chracters were previously invisible until recent builds)

1080p screenshot with 2xSSAA (8x rendering resolution) from PPSSPP:-

What kind of hardware you need for that?

xPhinehas

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is a great game. Better translated dialogue makes it like an old time novel with really cool art style cut scenes. Also any of the Monster Hunters if you haven't played them.

Not really under rated but meh.

Coxy

Get Mana Khemia off PSN, it sucks on UMD because of the bad load times but the download doesnt have that problem. Fantastic JRPG, really great battle system, story and characters

What kind of hardware you need for that?

Really low/middling stuff. I took that shot from my laptop which has 08/09' era hardware:-

Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8 GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670
8 GB RAM

Basically any PC (with an integrated Intel HD 3xxx/AMD/NVIDIA card) built in the last 4-6 years can handle PPSSPP. Heck the emulator was built for mobile devices (phones/tablets) in the first place.Have a look at the dedicated thread to learn more.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Get Mana Khemia off PSN, it sucks on UMD because of the bad load times but the download doesnt have that problem. Fantastic JRPG, really great battle system, story and characters

It's still worse than the PS2 version, though. So if you have the choice, go for that one.

What about Wild Arms XF?

Up a few posts:

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
What about Wild Arms XF?

Wild Arms XF is a great SRPG - it's fast paced and often requires of you to reroll your characters to overcome specific scenarios.(which do get varied) You often can't just strongarm your way through. The music is top notch too.

Bassun

If you're looking for underrated, I'd have to go with Jeanne D'arc and Crimson Gem Saga.

Two games that I wish had been released on the EU PSN store (along with God Eater)

cj_iwakura

Prinny is a must-have.

Came to post this. Best platformer on the system, if not of the generation. So full of content and challenge.

Also, the DJ MAX games, especially Clazziquai and Portable 2. Avoid Portable 3.

Another great import is Initial D: Street Stage. $15 or thereabouts, arcade racer drifting on the go. Solid port of the arcade V3.

yurinka

Action platformers:
Ultimate Ghosts & Goblins
Mega Man Powered Up
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X

Bonus: Killzone Liberation, Wipeout Pure, Wipeout Pulse, Ridge Racer 1 or 2, Afterburner Black Falcon, Lumines, Lumines II, Motorstorm Artic Edge.

Top Bottom