• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated PSP Games - UMD or PSN

cj_iwakura

I still need a copy of that game, since it was probably the last SMT-ish game Cozy Okada ever did.

Here's another one:

Brsgamecover.jpg

(lol saviors of the JRPG)

qUw2pcr.jpg

Very fun action RPG. Fast and furious combat, interesting story, quite a looker too.

eYZoLRC.jpg

Colocho

Banned
Thanks to this thread I decided to finally check out Z.H.P UR vs DE and I gotta say it's pretty damn fun. I've never been a huge fan of rougelikes, but I like the humor in this one and it's not so difficult (so far at least).

Essay

Maybe not what you were looking for, but I found Guilty Gear Judgment to be a great time-killer whenever I had to kill time.

Yuterald

This thread reminded me that I haven't downloaded/played Patchwork Heroes. Just bought it on PSN, playing it on my Vita now, my god, what have I been waiting for! So good!

Dr Dogg

Mega Man Powered Up has to be one of my favourite PSP games. Real shame it never got a digital release. I'm holding on to my 2000 and the UMD as I can't see anything coming close to it.

Art style isn't to everyone's tastes but it's more than just a re skin it reworks a lot of the levels and with the ability to play as the Robot Masters (and a few new ones) make it quiet unique. Though the real depth comes from the level editor. Don't know if the service is still running but you could upload and download levels as well.

A really good all round package that has a lot of replayability.

This thread reminded me that I haven't downloaded/played Patchwork Heroes. Just bought it on PSN, playing it on my Vita now, my god, what have I been waiting for! So good!

Yeah, Patchwork Heroes is a really good one that I don't think many people have played. A fantastic modern variant of the old arcade game, Qix (but actually fun & interesting).

cyborg009

Banned

Yeah, Patchwork Heroes is a really good one that I don't think many people have played. A fantastic modern variant of the old arcade game, Qix (but actually fun & interesting).

It was free once on PSN(not a PS+ freebie too).

Eh Black Rock Shooter has been released? damn that fell under my radar.

Damn it's PSN only

Pursuit Force: EE and 3rd Birthday are good action games that suit the PSP rather naff controls

G0523

I wish Sony would have put up all the PSP games digitally because there are just some UMD-only games that would be so much better that way. Games like Gitaroo-Man Lives!, Mega Man: Powered Up (this isn't up there but Maverick Hunter X is?!), N+, Namco Museum Battle Collection, and Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast are the last UMD games I own since they're not up on PSN. I definitely recommend playing them though.

Yuterald

I still need a copy of that game, since it was probably the last SMT-ish game Cozy Okada ever did.

Here's another one:

Brsgamecover.jpg

(lol saviors of the JRPG)

qUw2pcr.jpg

Very fun action RPG. Fast and furious combat, interesting story, quite a looker too.

eYZoLRC.jpg

Good luck finding Jewel Summoner for a decent price. Complete NA copies on eBay are going between $70-100. I finally decided to download Black Rock Shooter yesterday with Patchwork Heroes too and I'm really digging it! Game's got a really interesting one-on-one combat system. Aside from the environments being relatively bland and corridor-like, the enemies/bosses, so far, seem interesting/fun to fight. It's cool that you can time your skill shots/moves too depending on the positioning of the enemies (like waiting for a group of dudes to get close before firing your Charge Shot skill). I'm just wondering if the game will keep up the variety in enemy design, etc. Interesting game though!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What are those first three Legend of Heroes games like compared to Trails in the Sky? I never knew there were three more of them...

cj_iwakura

Good luck finding Jewel Summoner for a decent price. Complete NA copies on eBay are going between $70-100. I finally decided to download Black Rock Shooter yesterday with Patchwork Heroes too and I'm really digging it! Game's got a really interesting one-on-one combat system. Aside from the environments being relatively bland and corridor-like, the enemies/bosses, so far, seem interesting/fun to fight. It's cool that you can time your skill shots/moves too depending on the positioning of the enemies (like waiting for a group of dudes to get close before firing your Charge Shot skill). I'm just wondering if the game will keep up the variety in enemy design, etc. Interesting game though!

The bosses don't disappoint in that regard. The enemies suffer from a little palette-swapping, but I think they stay interesting enough.

It's just a solid game all in all, especially the Huke-art aesthetics meshed into the UI.

Jucksalbe

Banned
What are those first three Legend of Heroes games like compared to Trails in the Sky? I never knew there were three more of them...

There are quite a bit more. The Trails in the Sky series is actually Legend of Heroes VI, the other games on PSP are LoH 3, 4 and 5, I think. The series is quite old, actually. But there's probably a more thorough explanation on Wikipedia or something, I don't actually know that much about it.

cj_iwakura

There are quite a bit more. The Trails in the Sky series is actually Legend of Heroes VI, the other games on PSP are LoH 3, 4 and 5, I think. The series is quite old, actually. But there's probably a more thorough explanation on Wikipedia or something, I don't actually know that much about it.

I've heard the ones localized by Bamco are essentially direct translations with no charisma whatsoever. If you can overlook that, they're supposedly very good games, if not as good as Trails.

jdkluv

I've heard the ones localized by Bamco are essentially direct translations with no charisma whatsoever.

They also changed the battle system of the original PC-98/Windows games for a Lunar-esque battle system, except it sucks. They also butchered the music by replacing some tracks like rocking battle tunes for shitty orchestrated equivalents (like this one) or to the point of removing kickass music.

Bottom line: The only Legend of Heroes games in English that are worth playing are the very first one for TurboGrafx-CD and Trails in the Sky. The other three on PSP are terrible remakes by Bandai of old Falcom PC RPGs. They're really messed up, with bad translations and boring combat, among other problems.

If you can overlook that, they're supposedly very good games, if not as good as Trails.

Ew, I've heard people claming LoH IV as Falcom's best turn-based RPG.

mothball

I wish Sony would have put up all the PSP games digitally because there are just some UMD-only games that would be so much better that way. Games like Gitaroo-Man Lives!, Mega Man: Powered Up (this isn't up there but Maverick Hunter X is?!), N+, Namco Museum Battle Collection, and Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast are the last UMD games I own since they're not up on PSN. I definitely recommend playing them though.

Capcom's excuse for Powered Up was that there was some sort of issue with the game after they converted it to be digital.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
So, a couple things:

1) I picked up Trails in the Sky on PSN and am about 5 hours in and really enjoying it.
2) I went to GameStop to see what they had in the PSP department - and the answer was "plenty for cheap" I got Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, Dexter and Killzone Liberation for $9 total. Daxter was 0.99.

I know they're not underrated games, but I was pleasantly shocked at the prices. Seems like the next must-play is Jeanne D'Arc and Persona 3.

Alric

Was going to make my own thread but I saw this and will revive this 2 month old thread instead.

So lately I've been going back and playing PSP games I missed either on my Vita through the PSN or through UMD when I can't buy it for my vita. Here is a few that I honestly wasn't even aware of during the PSP years that i'm having a blast with now.

Tenchu Shadow Assassins - UMD only

I've not really played a Tenchu game I liked since Tenchu 1-3 so thank you From Software for letting me have a blast with Tenchu again.

TENCHU.jpg

Gladiator Begins - PSN or UMD

What a blast this game is. It's basically just a Gladiator Sim but oh is it so much fun. Tons of weapon and armor custimization with endless hours of gameplay if it's your sort of bloodfest type of thing.

Gladiator_Begins_US_Cover.jpg

Dragonball Z Shin Budokai 2: Another Road UMD only

I knew the first game Shin Budokai was out because I had it for the longest time but I had no idea they made a sequel and it's so much better. It's the best portable Budokai experience you could want with a fun if lacking alternate timeline story of Future Trunks dealing with Buu.

16868-dragon-ball-z-shin-budokai-another-road-old-full.png

Dragonball Tenkaichi Z Tag Team UMD only

You like the more grandious battles of of the Tenkaichi games and the ability to have 2 v 2 battles then yeah, this is your DBZ game. Fusing actually causes your two playing character to fuse into one with sometimes hilarious results and the game is just all around great.

Tenkaichi_Tag_Team.jpg

Armored Core 3 Portable PSN or UMD

Second entry from "From Software" and probably the last time I played Armored Core since Armored Core 2 for PS2. Nice customization but I hear the other titles for the PSP have a lot more but I have not played them yet.

957980cd78085446b5fbf24a715_prev.jpg

tearsofash

I'm glad to see everyone mentioning Brave Story.

I'd suggest Work Time Fun, Star Ocean, Ys Oath in Felghana, but I'm not surer how underrated they are.

dukeoflegs

No one liked Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman, What Did I do to Deserve This?

I got it for cheap during a sale on PSN, I think it was $3?

cwistofu

Wild Arms XF got some poor reviews (has a 68% average on Gamerankings) but it's seriously great. Cool FFT-esque class system (with lots of weird classes) and a great soundtrack. The main complaint that reviewers had was that you actually had to change up your party & strategy from situation to situation since they give you lots of different goals besides just "Kill anything" like avoid being detected or escape the map within X turns. Yes, that's right; there were actually reviews that complained that a Strategy/RPG required actual Strategy.

i can't believe it took 4 pages for someone to recommend this game.

Alric

It's safe to say the PSP has a TON of great games that even us that have had it since day one have not played yet.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Confirms what I've thought all along; the PSP was awesome.

I've been trying to add more games to my DS collection lately which actually lead me to the conclusion that PSP has more games I have played or want to. What a great system.

It's not even that dated looking, which is really amazing. The resolution is still higher than 3DS and there are some nice looking, albeit simple, 3D games on the system that hold up well.

Unchained Blades. It's a first person dungeon crawler with awful animu characters but the gameplay itself adds a lot of little things to the mix as far as first person dungeon crawlers go.

It's strangely compelling in that the production values are janky but actually playing the game it has a nice balance and flow. I like it.
I can't recommend Hexyz Force. Dreadfully boring to me. I've never been able to finish it.

I'll also add I had a lot of fun with Brave Story back in the day

My pick:
nbqCyZDm.jpg

Can't go wrong with Snoopy! All the UMD only-games makes me want to buy another psp. Sold mine years ago and the vita's library is missing some true gems

VLiberty

It's safe to say the PSP has a TON of great games that even us that have had it since day one have not played yet.
It was my main console for 5 years and I'm realizing I actually missed a bunch of games.

Best handheld ever by a landslide. Vita is good and all but probably won't top nor be even close to what PSP was

Moofers

Guilty Gear Judgement is like $5 on PSN and it's a solid side-scrolling beat-em-up. I really enjoyed it as a fan of final fight, castle Crashers, etc. and the soundtrack has some Godly tracks on it!

Alric

It was my main console for 5 years and I'm realizing I actually missed a bunch of games.

Best handheld ever by a landslide. Vita is good and all but probably won't top nor be even close to what PSP was

I love my vita but yeah I probably play more PSP / PSX games on it than anything. I wish they could get more PSP games on the PSN for the Vita because I'd play them on there. Dungeon Siege, Valkyrie Profile and the DBZ games i'd love to play on my Vita but they aren't on there so PSP it is.

Moofers

When the fuck is Silent Hill Shattered Memories going to get cheaper? I had the ps2 version and really loved it. I want the PSP version for my vita but it's $30 which is too much when I do t know if the port is good or not.

Also, second the praise for

Brave Story New Traveler
Valkyria Chronicles 2

Top Bottom