• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated SNES Games

Voliko

Actraiser 2 gets shit on only because it doesn't have the pedestrian sim segments of the first game. Actraiser 2 throws that out the window and instead presents a much more competent action game.

There are quite a variety of moves, including a a shield for blocking projectiles, a down thrust, several directions of sword slashes, and you can even glide and dive bomb. The environments are really varied and look quite nice. I like the sunken city stage with the petrified townspeople in particular. The music isn't as catchy as the first game but Koshiro manages to make excellent use of the SNES hardware again by bringing a orchestral, sometimes moody soundtrack. I love the game personally, it is better than the first game. It seems quite challenging at first, but you have to master your moveset and know the nuances and it really isn't that bad.

For my money, one of the best action games on the platform. I don't know how underrated it is, but I don't see it brought up nearly as much as it should be. It's basically Mega Man with RPG elements, sprawling non-linear levels, and gorgeously macabre art design.

Demon's Crest to me is the epitome of style over substance. The mechanics were incredibly wonky and made the game frustrating. It also didn't feel very fun to play, like Super Metroid or the Mega Man X games, just cumbersome. The worst part is you can easily "beat" the game and never know you're less than half done because it barley even hints that finding more secrets unlocks entirely different content. Even WITH that content, the game is super short.

Soundtrack and graphics are incredible, though. The game had some of the best atmosphere of the generation.

-KRS-

To add something to this topic I'll recommend The King of Dragons, Capcom's hack & slash side-scroller. It's a pretty good port of the arcade game, although you can only play 2-player co-op instead of 3. It looks good, controls well, has quite a few cool bosses, is pretty challenging, and the music is really great.

Another good Capcom hack & slash side-scroller in the same vein is Knights of the Round. I haven't played that one a lot though.

These might not be "underrated" per se, but they aren't talked about a whole lot.

793YrEt.jpg

This game made me feel really uncomfortable for some reason. Surprised to see somebody else played it.

Actraiser 2 gets shit on only because it doesn't have the pedestrian sim segments of the first game. Actraiser 2 throws that out the window and instead presents a much more competent action game.

The marriage of the two genres is why a lot of us loved Actraiser. We would have been just as disappointed if the action segments were removed.

Demon's Crest to me is the epitome of style over substance. The mechanics were incredibly wonky and made the game frustrating. It also didn't feel very fun to play, like Super Metroid or the Mega Man X games, just cumbersome. The worst part is you can easily "beat" the game and never know you're less than half done because it barley even hints that finding more secrets unlocks entirely different content. Even WITH that content, the game is super short.

Soundtrack and graphics are incredible, though. The game had some of the best atmosphere of the generation.

Yeah I think Demon's Crest is a weaker game than Gargoyle's Quest 1 and 2. The aesthetic was on point though.

Pretty much the only awesome Super Scope 6 game. I was hoping that Nintendo would remake the game for the Wii since it would benefit from motion pointer controls.

Battleclash_boxart.png
Christ I forgot this game. Spent so many hours playing this with that super scope with my family, so many good memories

super-smash-t.v.usa.png

This game with co-op was really fun

Super Smash TV Speed Run TAS
Was this considered to be underrated? Anyway great game.

Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose as a game is surprisingly varied and difficult in places. The one really bad part IMO is that you can't complete the game unless you play at the hardest difficulty setting (which can be really hard in this case).

tinytoons-snes-scrn.png

TinyToonAdventures-BusterBustsLoose_00019_(1)acme_bowl.png

Troddlers is a game that has made a lot of lists, but as far as I know remains relatively unknown. It's a little like Lemmings, but IMO is the better game.

Troddlers_1.png

Troddlers_SNES_ScreenShot4.gif

Pieces is a really great puzzler as well, think of Puzzle Fighter crossed with a jigsaw puzzle. The game has you completing a series of jigsaw puzzles before your opponent can and both of you have powerups that you can use to help yourself or harm your opponent (automatically match or remove, pieces, reverse control direction, slow the cursor, place an outline of the completed puzzle behind it, etc.)

There are single-player, vs CPU, and multi-player modes so it has a lot of replay value.

Pieces_SNES_ScreenShot4.gif

SNES_Pieces_Screen_1.jpg

Finally, Super Alfred Chicken has a ton of levels and secrets to enjoy and is almost never mentioned, but is IMO a great platformer with a lot of good things about it.

Super_Alfred_Chicken_SNES_ScreenShot4.gif

Super_Alfred_Chicken_SNES_ScreenShot3.gif

Celine

There are quite a variety of moves, including a a shield for blocking projectiles, a down thrust, several directions of sword slashes, and you can even glide and dive bomb. The environments are really varied and look quite nice. I like the sunken city stage with the petrified townspeople in particular. The music isn't as catchy as the first game but Koshiro manages to make excellent use of the SNES hardware again by bringing a orchestral, sometimes moody soundtrack. I love the game personally, it is better than the first game. It seems quite challenging at first, but you have to master your moveset and know the nuances and it really isn't that bad.
Well, I will know for sure in a couple of days :)
Cannot wait to play it!

The marriage of the two genres is why a lot of us loved Actraiser. We would have been just as disappointed if the action segments were removed.
Like in Quintet's Solo Crisis ;-)

To add something to this topic I'll recommend The King of Dragons, Capcom's hack & slash side-scroller. It's a pretty good port of the arcade game, although you can only play 2-player co-op instead of 3. It looks good, controls well, has quite a few cool bosses, is pretty challenging, and the music is really great.

Another good Capcom hack & slash side-scroller in the same vein is Knights of the Round. I haven't played that one a lot though.

These might not be "underrated" per se, but they aren't talked about a whole lot.

Yep, both solid games. King of Dragons in particular is a lot of fun.

I'll back up anyone who said Sunset Riders, found for $2 at a thrift store, thought about flipping it but had way too much fun to part with it

Rikkun

In a perfect world I'd be able to play any SNES title paying 2€ per game for its VC version on my Vita everywhere I go.

For now, subscribed.

so there's been a fair amount of talk in this thread about how the releases in certain regions are the superior versions of games. it would be cool to build a website that has all of that information in one place. i live in the states, but just recently bought a super famicom. it's been hard to find info on which super famicom games are english friendly and also which version (region-wise) of a game is the best.

i'd be willing to pay for the cost of hosting the site as well as do all of the coding if anyone is interested. i really just need a person or people who are knowledgeable about such things and interested in working on this. feel free to shoot me a pm.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Finally, Super Alfred Chicken has a ton of levels and secrets to enjoy and is almost never mentioned, but is IMO a great platformer with a lot of good things about it.

Super_Alfred_Chicken_SNES_ScreenShot4.gif

Super_Alfred_Chicken_SNES_ScreenShot3.gif

I'll never forget when I was little, calling the promotional 800 number for this game just to hear the cheesy pre-recorded message (bok-bok-bok-Alfred CHICKEN!), and thinking it was the funniest shit ever. Never played the actual game though... there were heaps of mascot platformers in that era, and even though I'm a big fan of that genre, separating the wheat from the chaff is a pretty time-consuming process.

TalOrtRal

Huh, I disagree, but maybe I just haven't played it recently enough. I was obsessed with this game as a kid and loved the gameplay and exploration.

To me, the non-obvious content was amazing. After I first beat it, I knew to keep playing because the inventory screen made it clear there was so much more. I had no internet back then, so finding everything (and then getting a new boss battle and ending for it) was soo satisfying.

If it hasn't yet been mentioned, Eiji Aonuma's first game, Marvelous: Another Treasure Island, is quite good and a welcome look at his sense of humor and Zelda influences.

maxcriden

If it hasn't yet been mentioned, Eiji Aonuma's first game, Marvelous: Another Treasure Island, is quite good and a welcome look at his sense of humor and Zelda influences.

I'd really like to play this game. Killer Yakuza B had a great write-up of it recently:

Released in 1996 near the end of the SNES's life, Nintendo's Marvelous never made it out of Japan, like so many other wonderful games at the time. While a lot has been said about some of those other games, Marvelous remains relatively unknown even among enthusiasts, sometimes relegated to a passing mention as Eiji Aonuma's first directing job and often mistaken for a Zelda clone, something it doesn't try to be. Had it been released outside Japan, I have no doubt that it would be a cult classic fondly remembered and talked about. Playing it for the first time earlier this year, I couldn't help but think how much I would have loved to play this game as a child.

Marvelous has its roots on Zelda and the similarities are obvious from the get go but not as many as some people seem to believe. While it moves and looks similar to a Zelda game (some of the graphics wouldn't look out of place in ALttP), it doesn't play very much like one. A mix between action RPG and point-and-click adventure game sounds more like it. While there's definitely some of the classic Zelda style puzzles (specially so in the later parts of the game), the way the world is designed and is relatively unconnected, and even the most basic way the game is played, are different from Zelda. You control three characters at the same time, each with different abilities and item inventories. A push of a button changes who the leader is and another button separates the trio, allowing you to control each one individually in turn. As you can probably imagine, this makes for some very well thought-out puzzles and some fantastic "dungeons" and it's no wonder Aonuma ended up as directing the dungeons in Ocarina. There's a point-and-click adventure element to the game, with a cursor to move through the screen in order to further investigate the background or interact with the characters. The game is divided in chapters, each one set in a different location with a different theme. Very rarely you'll have an enemy to beat or a boss to fight; those are definitely not the norm. Aside form the puzzle solving, there are NPCs to talk to in every chapter, with sidequests to complete, items to find, etcetera. At the end of the game, your completion rate for each chapter is shown and it's very possible to not find every secret on a first play-through. All of this makes for a very varied, entertaining game.

Thankfully, by the grace of God Almighty and someone who took the job to themselves, there's a translation patch. The version that I played had a couple of lines left unstranslated here and there but it was well made and perfectly playable to the full. That I remember, only one puzzle had Japanese text left but it was such an obvious one that the line or two that were missing weren't necessary to figure out the solution. The chapter titles and the credits were also in Japanese. All of this might have changed by now since I haven't checked for an update in quite a while and the version I played, while absolutely playable, wasn't the final version. I wish more people knew about this translation patch so that they could also enjoy Marvelous as much as I did.

Marvelous1.png
Marvelous4.png
Marvelous5.png
Marvelous6.png

This is a good looking, very well designed game that has excellent music and a funny story with lovable characters, pirate treasures, pirate ships, pirates and a wonderful sense of adventure. It has all the ingredients of a great videogame in a style that seems to be out of fashion. There's nothing to shoot at, there are barely any bad guys at all and the word "epic" in its current meaning doesn't even enter into it. All you'll find here are some awesome puzzles, lots of imagination and a wonderful adventure. Marvelous is available on Wii U's Virtual Console in Japan and I recommend giving it a try if you have a Japanese console and are knowledgeable enough to understand the language. If you are ignorant like me, the fan translation patch was made for us.

Music samples: Prologue / Pirate Village / Gina / Christopher Henson / Marvelic's Crystal

Voliko

This game made me feel really uncomfortable for some reason. Surprised to see somebody else played it.

The absence of the sim parts in part 2 certainly is disappointing. The formula in Actraiser 1 is practically one of a kind because of the interesting genre blend. However, I have seen a lot of people dismiss Actraiser 2 solely because it doesn't have the sim parts. Or because they think it's terribly hard :p

Honestly, after playing Actraiser 1 so many times, the sim parts are really, really basic and often boring. It would have been nice to see a better, expanded version in Actraiser 2, but it is what it is.

Well, I will know for sure in a couple of days :)
Cannot wait to play it!

You have a Quintet avatar and haven't played Actraiser 2?? Come on!

Huge bump, but I actually have something to contribute to the thread. That something is Wario's Woods.

250px-WariosWoodsCover%28USA%29.png

It seems like people only ever know about the NES version, but the REAL version is a superior game. It's got simplistic yet clean, colorful visuals, and the OST is fantastic (you even get voice samples). It's a falling block puzzler like Tetris or Dr. Mario, but you get a much higher level of interactivity. Controlling Toad, you move around the levels and place bombs on like colored creatures. You'll also get a diamond every so often that will clear everything f the same color. Sometimes Wario will even show up to be a dick and send a Thwomp your way. It's really fun. There are plenty of modes to enjoy, and the two player is addictive as hell. This is my personal favorite puzzle game of all time.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
True Lies

ImJQida.jpg

lAz5AjZ.gif
2WtJYkv.png

It's a movie licence so naturally most people run screaming from it. Anyone with experience of movie licenced games form this era will know that a good game with a movie tie in is a rare thing... and yet, this is one such example.

An overhead shooter with surprisingly good gameplay, it's one of those hidden gems that most people will never try. Had it sitting in my collection for years and never touched it but was eventually persuaded to give it a go.

I'm just going to link into a Youtube vid which does a far better job of presenting it than I can:

vixlar

I will mention some games others had listed, but here we go.

Top Gear 1 & 2: Fantastic racing games. Both with fantastic music. The problem with the first one is that you must play on split screen even on single player. The second one improve that, better animation and the ability to customize your car, but everybody use the same car and the password is really atrocious. I didn't have the chance to play Top Gear 3000, but I've seen is pretty good too.

Zero, the radical squirrel: It was a side story of Aero the Acrobat, by Sunsoft. I think he was Aero's nemesis in one of those games. I don't know, I couldn't play Aero. But I really enjoyed Zero. Iy has a good difficulty, and a mechanic of flying too fun. The stages are really good.

Civilization: I know is not the better port. I remember it lacked two civs. But in that time I didn't have a PC, so I knew this game on SNES. What a shock! The "just one more turn" is real!!! Thanks to this game now I'm a Civilization fan.

Soccer Shootout: This football game (soccer for Americanos) was made by Capcom. In a time where everybody was playing International Superstar Soccer, we were playing this fantastic game with multitap. I can't really say what makes it so great, but we really had fun with it. When you scored a goal, you can see ads for Megaman and Street Fighter II.

Desert Strike: In this game you use an Apache (the helicopter). You must save missing soldiers and destroy enemy bases. What I like of this game is that you have limited resources, so you are not going throwing hydras to every single soldier on the field.

gioGAF

Have to go with Demon's Crest as well. Really enjoyed that game and have been hoping for a modern version. An RPG in which the protagonist is a gargoyle that you level up into badassery instead of a warrior/rogue/mage. Seems like a simple concept that would be a great deal of fun and would provide some variety.

Last edited:
Top Bottom