• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale is currently the highest rated PC game on Metacritic, beating Half-Life 2

DNAbro

BiggNife

I'm sure it won't stay that high forever, but it's a fantastic game and definitely deserves the attention.

Honestly think it might be my GOTY and I had no expectations going into it.

Nzyme32

I'm literally picking it up right now because I am that excited for it and what it does.

There have been several of the Earthbound-esque RPGs that challenge conventions and tell an amazing story, most recently including LISA and its expansion. However this is one of the few that also really does something unique and innovative.

It's such a good game. The score will probably go down a bit with more reviews, but not by much- it is just that excellent.

Just reminding people that are curious about this game that there is a demo available for free that showcases the first segment. It's only half an hour, so check it out.

d9iMB36.gif

Will check it out.

It has 11 reviews...hardly enough to take that score conclusively. I am playing through this game myself, and while charming...I do not exactly understand the seeming ridiculously high amounts of praise. I'm guessing there's some crazy reveal or change that happens that I haven't yet experienced yet? For reference, I'm currently in the following region of the game:
Hotland

I don't know if I'm missing something. The whole time I was playing it I kept thinking it was Frog Fractions 2 or something and awaiting some giant moment that so far hasn't arrived yet.

I have to take a LITTLE issue with games that receive insane praise because of a crazy twist or gimmick change later in the game...if the rest of the game pales in comparison to said twist. Portal was an exception to this because the base game was so great and fun, that the twist came out of such a left field that it blast it into space.

I don't exactly like the mentality of "no dude, you gotta play it till THIS point to really get it...then it's awesome!"

Again, not saying what I've played so far is mediocre or anything. It's a great little Homeworld-like that has lots of great characterization and writing. I seem to be at a similar mindset that Austin Walker had before he finished the game and wrote up his 5 star Giant Bomb review. It hasn't exactly clicked for me yet.

klaushm

Will try it eventually.

Only after playing it, will see if it's a 10/10.
Graphics only matter for gameplay, IMO.

But yeah. The score will go down. It ever does.

Darkroronoa

Fantastic game, enjoyable and memorable.
Sometimes i think it might be overated, 97 is really high, but then i think its actually that good.

Nzyme32

11 reviews vs 81.

Yeah I agree with this, but also the uselessness of Metacritic as a meaningful aggregator. The scales for scoring are all far too different to be reliable in anyway. The binary nature of Steam Reviews ends up providing a far better aggregation of overall reception for a game, but forces you to look to the thorough reviews of both positive and negative reviews to see what you think.

As far as Steam Reviews go - Undertale - Overwhelmingly Positive - 98% Positive (3022 Reviews) - which is in the top 20 of highest reviews

Fireblend

Banned
I'm picking it up as soon as I'm done playing VLR. Game looks fantastic and as a huge Mother fan I'm itching to play it.

DNAbro

I kind of go by user reviews over official.

I wrote a review for this game and gave it 5 stars, but the developer reported it (along with creating a lot of fake accounts and writing fake reviews) so now I'm going to give it 0 stars. This game will put you to sleep and is not entertaining at all

Yeah I don't particularly think most of the user reviews are worth it.

Darkroronoa

Yeah I agree with this, but also the uselessness of Metacritic as a meaningful aggregator. The scales for scoring are all far too different to be reliable in anyway. The binary nature of Steam Reviews ends up providing a far better aggregation of overall reception for a game, but forces you to look to the thorough reviews of both positive and negative reviews to see what you think.

As far as Steam Reviews go - Undertale - Overwhelmingly Positive - 98% Positive (3022 Reviews) - which is in the top 20 of highest reviews

Also lots of people rating it low haven't finished it (or played it at all, but thats common on all metacritic games). I think only after getting the whole experience, and maybe replaying it, you can really understand why this game is great.

Just give it a chance to become nearly universally beloved, then some bottomfeeders will give it a 2/10 just for the clicks. It's a really annoying flaw in the system, especially for the devs that work so hard on these games.

szaromir

Banned
HL2 and GTA4 having ridiculously high scores shows there's something inherently wrong with the scoring system in the gaming press.

NotLiquid

Even if it's on account of few reviews, there's no other game like it and the game deserves all the love it gets. More people should play it, especially considering how many Earthbound fans there are on here.

It's easily bound to end up as my GOTY this year. Indie games often resonate in some sort of emotional capacity but I'm not exaggerating when I say that Undertale's multifaceted player evaluation is the most unparalleled one I have seen in a video game. Ever.

It has a massively low amount of reviewers compared to Half-Life 2, but I found the game itself a very enjoyable surprise when I bought it due to word of mouth about it from my internet friends. Money well spent.

Harpuia

It has 11 reviews...hardly enough to take that score conclusively. I am playing through this game myself, and while charming...I do not exactly understand the seeming ridiculously high amounts of praise. I'm guessing there's some crazy reveal or change that happens that I haven't yet experienced yet? For reference, I'm currently in the following region of the game:
Hotland

I don't know if I'm missing something. The whole time I was playing it I kept thinking it was Frog Fractions 2 or something and awaiting some giant moment that so far hasn't arrived yet.

I have to take a LITTLE issue with games that receive insane praise because of a crazy twist or gimmick change later in the game...if the rest of the game pales in comparison to said twist. Portal was an exception to this because the base game was so great and fun, that the twist came out of such a left field that it blast it into space.

I don't exactly like the mentality of "no dude, you gotta play it till THIS point to really get it...then it's awesome!"

Again, not saying what I've played so far is mediocre or anything. It's a great little Homeworld-like that has lots of great characterization and writing. I seem to be at a similar mindset that Austin Walker had before he finished the game and wrote up his 5 star Giant Bomb review. It hasn't exactly clicked for me yet.

The game is designed in a way that the second playthrough is when you see what makes the game so special.

Dunkley

Well of course, it's a new release.

Give it the time of Half-Life 2 since its' release and then look at where it stands.

And I mean that isn't to say Undertale isn't fantastic. While the plot isn't anything to write home about, the metacommentary about players and how it fuses its' gameplay with its' lore is simply very unique and creative. It's definitely something people should have played, but overall I feel once the hype has settled in and more people have played with, it'll drop below it eventually.

woopWOOP

I honestly thought this one was released last year. I guess that was a beta of sorts?

I suppose I'm gonna have to play this before the end of the year to see if this'll get somewhere on my GOTY list. (As an Earthbound nerd, it probably will get somewhere up there anyway)

Harpuia

Basic gameplay is special enough imo. But I knew a bit about the game going in order to get the best ending.

I definitely feel that Undertale uses the gameplay mechanics to tell a story in a way that very few games do. There's so many great uses of the mechanics and the game takes them to all of their extremes.

I feel like most people playing it like a traditional RPG are the ones getting thrown in for a loop, like they aren't "in" on it, or they're missing something. Though if you read anything about Undertale (hell even if you watched the trailer), there is a specific instruction that is given that dictates how you play the game; either like a regular old RPG, or the way Undertale wants you to play it: unconventionally.

I honestly thought this one was released last year. I guess that was a beta of sorts?

Demo, actually. It's free and it's like the first hour of the full game.

Anyways, I don't really give a damn about what the order of review score "should" be. I just want the game to get more press cause it's real good.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
lol come on OP, is this thread for real?

11 critics vs 81 critics

xRaizen

11 reviews vs 81.

That (people praising it as the highest reviewed PC game that only has like 15% of the review counts against HL2) along with reports of the creator supposedly making fake accounts/deleting reviews is turning me off from the game.

I guess I'll look at it later but.. nope.

Top Bottom