• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unholy Night: New fighting game by ex-SNK... for Super Nintendo???

v0yce

This doesn't make any sense.

If it's on the SNES how will they fix it with gigabytes of downloaded patches?

Hilarion

So...the largest games on the SNES were Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean, both on 6 MB carts.

This game is on a 32 MB cart.

I've often thought that you could've gotten a lot more out of the SNES with larger files. Let's see if that's the case!

Het_Nkik

More pictures.

%E9%AD%94%E7%95%8C%E7%8B%A9%E4%BA%BA_04.jpg

%E9%AD%94%E7%95%8C%E7%8B%A9%E4%BA%BA_05.jpg

Does this TV have a built in SNES/SFC? Those controllers ARE plugging straight into the TV, right?

lo zaffo

I'm perfectlty fine with this new cartridge release. I follow some of 8-bits retro scene and cartridge releases (in small small lots) are there all the times.

orioto

Good Art™
Wait, what?

That's what i was thinking to. Of all platforms out there why would you choose the snes i mean.. It doesn't really scream fighter game dream... Except if you want small sprites with not a lot of animations and really small resolution...

Should have chose Saturn! It's the GOAT fighting machine.

post.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/90sGames/permalink/712202415613112/

Unholy Night is a new FG from "ex-SNK staff who worked on Kizuna Encounter and KOF98, 2001 and 2002" on display at yesterday's Hong Kong Retro Game Expo '16.

The really WTF thing about this news is that Unholy Night is for Super Nintendo, and will be available in february 2017 on a 32MB cartridge.

More info (in Chinese, is someone can help...) here.

OMG I still have that SNES Street Fighter fightstick they're using in those photos

spekkeh

Banned
So...the largest games on the SNES were Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean, both on 6 MB carts.

I've often thought that you could've gotten a lot more out of the SNES with larger files. Let's see if that's the case!
I guess technically Super Road Blaster has it beat, but you need special hardware.

Tain

The SNES choice is weird, even for using old hardware in 2016. I guess it's probably the most popular of the old consoles, but the hardware itself isn't really geared toward making a great fighting game.

I'd love to hear why they chose it. Maybe they had experience with developing for the hardware or something, or maybe it's just for the novelty.

That's what i was thinking to. Of all platforms out there why would you choose the snes i mean.. It doesn't really scream fighter game dream... Except if you want small sprites with not a lot of animations and really small resolution...

Agreed! I can't think of any fighters ported to the console that weren't worse than their original counterparts.

Ports, sure; but games like TMNT Tournament Fighters, Gundam Wing Endless Duel, and the Sailor Moon fighter still hold up fine.

I guess, but I'm not sure they hold up well when compared to 2D fighters on other platforms like neogeo, cps-3/2, saturn. That's why the choice seems a little strange to me.

lazygecko

32MB seems kind of low. With a larger rom they could do a lot more to push the system, and I don't think cost differences would matter much at all within the sub-gigabyte range today.

I'm bummed over the artistic direction as well. With a retro fighter I would have prefered it to be more in line with the early to mid 90's style as well instead of the anime weirdness SNK and the genre as a whole eventually fell into.

Cart sizes are traditionally measured in bits instead of bytes (1 bit is 8 bytes) and I'm pretty sure it's the same here. A 6 megabyte rom file means 48 megabits.

32MB seems kind of low. With a larger rom they could do a lot more to push the system, and I don't think cost differences would matter much at all within the sub-gigabyte range today.

I'm bummed over the artistic direction as well. With a retro fighter I would have prefered it to be more in line with the early to mid 90's style as well instead of the anime weirdness SNK and the genre as a whole eventually fell into.

Cart sizes are traditionally measured in bits instead of bytes (1 bit is 8 bytes) and I'm pretty sure it's the same here. A 6 megabyte rom file means 48 megabits.
I'm not sure what you mean about the art direction. Looks plenty 90s to me from what we can see in those tiny pics.

HotHamBoy

It looks like it's the Super Famicom Naizou TV SF1 that Sharp released in 1990.

latest

DO WANT.

The game looks phenomenal.

Something I noticed about the game is how detailed and early 2000s the UI looks, especially the health bars.

Super Nintendo fighting game health bars were always dirt simple. Was that just an evolution thing? I always figured there was a technical reason but I guess that doesn't really make sense.

Backgrounds are gorgeous. It will be interesting to see how many frames of animation they can squeeze into it.

I'm not sure what you mean about the art direction. Looks plenty 90s to me from what we can see in those tiny pics.

No, I see what he means. It looks more early 2000s.

This is 90s anime fighting games:

voltage-fighter-1.jpg

2016-02-12-15-53-02-galaxy_fight_universal_warriors_02v3.png

mollipen

FTFY

No need to thank me.

I would say that if any older console was getting a new 2D fighter, it should be the Saturn. That will forever feel like the "fighter's system" to me—I mean, outside of the obvious choice NeoGeo.

But, it is kind of cool for it to be on SNES, if for no other reason than to do a project like this on a system that might not otherwise get that kind of love. Or, actually, maybe PC Engine would have been even better. *heh* I guess my one concern here though would be controller options. I can't remember how good/bad a standard SNES pad was for fighters, I've got zero experience with Capcom's stick, and I don't know what else you'd have easy access to at this point.

And I like the character designs, from what I can see! They seems totally fitting for a project like this. Maybe not exactly era-appropriate, but still.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It looks like it's the Super Famicom Naizou TV SF1 that Sharp released in 1990.

latest

Man I wonder how much do those cost these days? Just checked varying prices depending on the overall quality but not a lot around.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
This looks rad. Not sure I'll be able to afford a cart, which is a shame. I hope it gets a digital release somewhere down the road.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
No video yet, eh? Doh. I wanna see how it moves! And more of the characters.

I'm always up for start-up fighters with a small, focused, yet hopefully diverse list of new characters. Hope this fares better than whatever happened to Yatagarasu (which I'd still love to see get a polished Console release.)

lazygecko

I mean stuff like KoF94-95 which has a bit more grit to it and characters that look like they are actual martial artists, rather than fashion models with supernatural powers. From 96 and onward KoF leaned progressively more in the latter direction, and the genre at large soon followed.

Backgrounds are gorgeous. It will be interesting to see how many frames of animation they can squeeze into it.

Not really digging the backgrounds either to be honest. They look like they are pre-rendered complete images that were just downscaled and color reduced wholesale for easy implementation, rather than having individual assets created and optimized manually. They look pretty out of place when juxtaposed against the character sprites. I doubt they are even animated if that's the case.

Also I noticed the resolution of the direct feed screens is kind of odd. 256x187 while the standard SNES resolution is 256x224. I guess the game has black bars they cropped out for the screens?

NateDrake

Damn. Even the SNES will have more third-party support than Wii U in 2017.

Are there any gameplay videos? Would love to see how the game looks in motion.

It might have been part of the challenge for the developers.

Top Bottom