• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNIQLO UTGP '17 Winning Nintendo Shirt Designs Revealed

Guevara

16,000 entries and those were the best selected.

There seems to be a very garish design taste for the people who choose these T-shirts so it seems designers go for that look. It's a shame as their UT pop culture T-shirts used to be so good. But they all been infected by obvious tacky designs for the last few years.

Yeah, these are unfortunate.

I wish some were more subtle, and didn't feel the need to fill the entire space.

MLH

My favorite is Yuki Azechi's Pikmin shirt, easy to look at & somewhat understated, shame it's women's only.

170501-utgp-pikmin-item01.jpg

Don't several of these break the rules from the FAQ at the start of the contest? I think the starman one is about as "lifted from the internet" as you can get.

Was thinking the same thing. Lots of them are using non-original assets, the Mario sprite one could've been ripped from anywhere, its rather unoriginal. Disappointing that won.

Galang

Banned
Mess. The ones I want are all either set as kids or women. I don't get why they didn't make all versions available in each.

Faiz

Large garish designs seem to be where it's all going again, and for the last several years now. Not for me either, but there it is. That's fine, I should have more normie clothes in my wardrobe anyway. 😂

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Been waiting on these since the contest was announced since UniQlo usually has rather tasteful designs for hobby tshirts.

Thought of entering but couldn't think of a good idea, though I thought one had to use original artwork rather than using pre-existing art so surprised but all the sprite usage.

The first place winner is a clean design, but I agree with others that it's a bit disappointing that it's another SMB Mario sprite design, so in that regard, the Splatoon one is more refreshing.

I rather like the DK and Mario pipe pocket ones. Being playful with the Tshirt is a rather Nintendo like thing to do.

Well, if I recall, UniQlo's designers will also have some designs, so I'll have to see what they're like.

Tesser

Probably speaking out of personal preference over objective quality, but the Super Mario World alphabet is definitely among my favourites simply because I drew/made this kind of thing - forming letters and numbers out of objects - as a kid...and still do from time to time.

Entropia

No One Remembers
That grand prize winning shirt is awesome! I'd definitely pick that up.

A lot of those shirts are pretty well done. I'll have to keep my eye out for them when theyare out.

Mandelbo

Really like the look of the Splatoon one and the Pikmin one, womens only be damned. That Mario one where the shirt's pocket is a pipe is kinda nice too.

Well, if I recall, UniQlo's designers will also have some designs, so I'll have to see what they're like.

Oh, didn't realise that! Looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
While I like the second place design, it being white is a real bummer. I like to have interesting colours. Heck, overall, the selection is a bit too black and white. I have to give props to the winner for going with a different colour.

Also, I feel that pipe pocket design would have been better if the pipe stretched all the way to the bottom. It's a bit odd just floating in a white void. Also black outlines would have helped so the "lip" of the pipe was clearer.

Oh, didn't realise that! Looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

I could be completely misremembering things mind, but I'm sure I read that the contest T-Shirts weren't going to be the only designs.

PMS341

I submitted multiple shirt designs myself (as did my girlfriend). We are both graphic designers, and we both found it a little odd how many of the winners used stolen assets or straight up ignored the rules. Guess we should have been more open with our ideas.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I submitted multiple shirt designs myself (as did my girlfriend). We are both graphic designers, and we both found it a little odd how many of the winners used stolen assets or straight up ignored the rules. Guess we should have been more open with our ideas.

Yeah, I too thought assets had to be original, partly cos I assumed the non contest designs would probably use those.

tsundoku

Something tells me the first place winner used to be split red and blue

also there are some really terrible ones in there and some good designs marked for kids only

UNIQLO is like asian walmart for clothes though so beggars cant be choosers
there is always KOG imports if you want real hot fire

impirius

If that Kirby shirt comes in a 4T, I'll pick one up
Well, now you pretty much have to post your entries

I love the clean ones, like the winner.

The line Picachu is fabulous and the Nintendo ending in the back is so nice!

The third one is so loud, colours are nice though.

EDIT. The Splatoon one is my favourite, all the colour condensed in that area makes it so powerful without making it loud and obnoxious.

Bii

These go on sale in Japan on May 19th. Not sure about other regions.

I'm definitely picking up the Splatoon and Magikarp shirts. On the fence with a few others, though.

Nintendo posted on their Facebook that US will release on May 19th as well.

moozoom

The one I'd like to buy is for Kids only... (Animal Crossing)
I would've bought the Resetti shirt, but without the slogan. (the font is quite ugly)

I knew there would be a massive amount of entries, so I'm not surprised my entry was ignored in an ocean of mario shirts.
Front:
qI1ALPO.png

Back:
0IBn5OH.png

Congrats to the winners, receiving a signed Switch from Miyamoto must've been a nice moment.

I would've bought the Resetti shirt, but without the slogan. (the font is quite ugly)

I knew there would be a massive amount of entries, so I'm not surprised my entry was ignored in an ocean of mario shirts.

Congrats to the winners, receiving a signed Switch from Miyamoto must've been a nice moment.

I actually like your shirt more than several they chose. It at least seems to keep the spirit of original assets. A lot of those shirts seem to have untouched art assets.

Though having Mario's pipe leading to a Fire Flower while Luigi's to the person's butt would probably immediately disqualify it from being picked.

LordZagry

Neo Member
I want the Kirby one, but it's only for kids :( the fact that they're not all for every gender/age seems pretty dumb...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
All of the ones I want, are either Women or Kids only.

Are you kidding me, Nintendo?

Also, 2nd place would be fire, on a black tee.

schlew

Wow, if you ever put this shirt up for sale somewhere let me know! Looks wonderful!

tsundoku

Every time I look at that Pikachu sprite one I cringe more. I guess they wanted to represent a diverse set of countries in the winners and that was like the only one they could find? Its absurdly bad

Considering how many other entries straight up ripped sprites

How do I purchase any of these?

Wait until the online store goes live on the 18th/19th (depending where you are in the world), but the best thing to do would be to see if there is a Uniqlo in your neck of the woods. Uniqlo Store Locator

If you live in the US, then you should be alright to order once the US site goes live; if you live in Europe, I believe there's only Uniqlo UK and there are only a certain number of places where they will ship.

Again, check the store locator and see what's your best option.

The peach one is pretty nice.

I really wish we could see larger versions of the shirts. The peach one looks neat but its hard to even see it.

The promotional video has better resolution of the shirts than the website.

Edited some screenshots from the 1 Minute Promotional Video into the OP.

A closer image of the Peach shirt and its text:
LgklOxn.png

I don't get the following statement at all:
I DON'T CARE!
I'D RATHER GET KIDNAPPED-
THAN ASK MARIO
FOR HELP!

That's... what?

Also looks like the Grand Prix Winner will also be available in White Fire Mario:
WEJs3TX.png

blamite

I like a lot of them, even if I wouldn't wear them all myself. I dunno, the grand prize winner isn't the most original maybe, but it's really well done, so I don't mind that out won! Bummer that that Pinion one is woven only though, I'd definitely get one otherwise.

Top Bottom