• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
If it goes to trial, the jury sets the punitive damage amount that he should receive. It is a lot and will most likely be a lot more than the settlement amount he will receive. Plus having this go to trial means that you'll have constant negative press about your company which will further push people away from flying with United.

Even at this moment there are many stories coming out about United's treatment of customers. They just never went as far as it did with Dr. Dao.

Yep.

A trial will result in a bigger payout than they'll ever settle for, and it puts their company through months of punishment.

They have them dead to rights so unless the doctor just wants to be done with this quick they have no reason not to go to trial.

Chumley

Banned
I've been watching the press conference and there's some interesting tidbits in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhZQeS_Kozw

- He suffered a concussion and had no memory of coming back on the plane the second time (when he was saying over and over, 'I have to go home')
- He fled Saigon when it fell in the 70s and his experience being dragged like that was more harrowing and more terrifying
- He is 69 years old. Think about that for a moment about how much more dangerous the injuries he sustained were.

It's a bit hard to watch for me because how angry it makes me

My Mom is 69. I would have to be held back from killing someone who'd do what they did to him to her. At that age any serious injury can be permanent.

Gattsu25

Banned
Reuters Top News @Reuters

BREAKING: United Airlines passenger David Dao suffered 'significant' concussion, broken nose, lost two front teeth: lawyer

I saw this video and he hit his face pretty fucking hard. Have to remember those things are like pretty strong.

Multiple Videos

I've been watching the press conference and there's some interesting tidbits in there.

- He suffered a concussion and had no memory of coming back on the plane the second time (when he was saying over and over, 'I have to go home')
- He fled Saigon when it fell in the 70s and his experience being dragged like that was more harrowing and more terrifying
- He is 69 years old. Think about that for a moment about how much more dangerous the injuries he sustained were.

I can't even imagine what he's going through right now. I hope he receives an outsized financial settlement from them. I hope those cops get charged with assault because that's exactly what they did to him.

Hero

Fuck United. Seriously, the CEO has to go. Probably high management as well. Fuck this entire company.

Renkax

neemmss

I don't know if this has been answered, but what about the airline crew that called the security/airport police? Did they ever interject while this was happening? What is their take on this?

I don't know if this has been answered, but what about the airline crew that called the security/airport police? Did they ever interject while this was happening? What is their take on this?

pretty sure the employees are under a gag order. Plus, no one will be dumb enough to risk their jobs by saying anything in public.

Customer paid for his seat. He was seated in his seat. Then they yank him out, beat him up. Then they drag him out. Did I mention that he was a senior citizen?
I am also sure the rent-a-cops thought they could get away with it, because of a smidgen and a very, very faint stench of racism thrown in there, it encouraged them.

Fucking reality. Always more chaotic and disturbing than fiction.
What a time to be alive, for sure.

What's this supposed "criminal record" stuff making the rounds? I saw some people victim-blaming and defending United on facebook while vaguely mentioning the passenger's past. I couldn't bring myself to click the link, cause usually the same individuals just keep sharing pro-Trump garbage.

Maximo

Fuck hes laying it down at the start god dam, too fucking right.

What's this supposed "criminal record" stuff making the rounds? I saw some people victim-blaming and defending United on facebook while vaguely mentioning the passenger's past. I couldn't bring myself to click the link, cause usually the same individuals just keep sharing pro-Trump garbage.

Just human shitstains trying to pull the "he was no angel!" card. Same shit, different toilet.

sirap

I said this before and I'll say it again. A head injury, or worse, concussion, is not something you should experience at ANY age.

Especially at 69 fucking years old. You don't bounce from shit like that easily. Hell, I got one in a major accident at 21 and I suffered for a long time...

Stupid people doing stupid stuff.

I'm not quite sure if it's confirmed, but we have also had quite a few posts that the person that has the criminal record is actually the wrong Dr. Dao.

sphinx

the piano man
I saw this video and he hit his face pretty fucking hard. Have to remember those things are like pretty strong.

Multiple Videos

are you guys able to see how exactly the cop attacked the passenger?

I thought the cop had deliberately smacked his face against the backseat in front of him, from the angle I really can't tell what's going on.

I am also sure the rent-a-cops thought they could get away with it, because of a smidgen and a very, very faint stench of racism thrown in there, it encouraged them.

You mean the two black cops who yanked him out?

More likely is they were told to get a passenger off and did it.

are you guys able to see how exactly the cop attacked the passenger?

I thought the cop had deliberately smacked his face against the backseat in front of him, from the angle I really can't tell what's going on.

Looks like the two cops were pulling very hard, after strong resistance they won and he flew forward and smashed his head on the arm rest.

BigAT

This story has been hard to keep up with all the twists and turns. Did they end up having the wrong person for that article that tried to smear him as a shitty doctor and pulled the "he's no angel" angle? Not that it would have mattered even if it actually was him, I'm just curious if they fucked that up too.

Korey

This story has been hard to keep up with all the twists and turns. Did they end up having the wrong person for that article that tried to smear him as a shitty doctor and pulled the "he's no angel" angle? Not that it would have mattered even if it actually was him, I'm just curious if they fucked that up too.
Nah I think they had the right person.

I love how this thread has more pages than the internet privacy thread. Can see US Gaf has its priorities straight!

Probably because most people agreed that the internet privacy thing was bad. When a conversation is one sided it doesn't usually last long.

Threads get longer if you have people coming in and shit posting about how the cops were just following orders, or that the 69 year old man was so strong that when the 3 cops were finally able to overpower him, his head hit the seat through no fault of their own.

vern

This is one of the reasons why I refuse to fly. I hope United Airlines gets the pants sued off them.

You refuse to fly in the one in a billion chance you get violently dragged off the plane?

Edit: curious to know your other reasons for refusing? Possible UFO collisions?

Gattsu25

Banned
If they had the right person, it would still be in the conservative news cycle and the CEO would still be playing the belligerence angle. It died pretty quickly because it was wrong guy.
I think it died pretty quickly because it was irrelevant. It's an obvious smear campaign and the public's reaction to traditional news sources that ran with it has been pretty scathing.

I love how this thread has more pages than the internet privacy thread. Can see US Gaf has its priorities straight!

Not antagonising you here, just, how often did news roll out more follow ups on the privacy compared to this? This thread's OP is being updated so often that it gives more info for people to discuss. Whereas the privacy law one is a pretty unanimous 'fuck that's to the law.

Finally, considering how frequent people travel by air, the now very clear indication that airlines would be willing to beat you off of flights is a pretty worrying prospect. Priorities are fine IMO.

NeOak

United PR quality post.

We had a lot of people defending United and some even linked to banned sources that doxxed the guy.

Nice drive by without knowing the context.

Patrick S.

Banned
Holy crap. But seriously, this guy is believed to receive several million dollars as compensation??? Wow USA. That's not proportional in any way. People who lost relatives on the Germanwings flight get what, hundred thousand Euro? For knocked out teeth and the stress suffered I think something like 10-15k would be more realistic... If he really gets that much, he should donate a large amount to a good cause, seeing as he's a doctor, he won't be needing for cash, anyway.

Dunlop

I said this before and I'll say it again. A head injury, or worse, concussion, is not something you should experience at ANY age.

Especially at 69 fucking years old. You don't bounce from shit like that easily. Hell, I got one in a major accident at 21 and I suffered for a long time...
I suffered a major concussion when I was hit by a car at are 10.

I was young and it still took about 5 years to fully recovery. At 69 I can't imagine

NeOak

Holy crap. But seriously, this guy is believed to receive several million dollars as compensation??? Wow USA. That's not proportional in any way. People who lost relatives on the Germanwings flight get what, hundred thousand Euro? For knocked out teeth and the stress suffered I think something like 10-15k would be more realistic... If he really gets that much, he should donate a large amount to a good cause, seeing as he's a doctor, he won't be needing for cash, anyway.

Are you fucking serious?

weshes195

Do you really want me to break down everything that is wrong with this post?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm totally cool with this guy getting paid.

Let's put aside the emotional distress and broken teeth.
He's now a public figure that was put through a demeaning act. He deserves to be compensated and paid due respect by United for this humiliating incident.

If someone lost a relative based on the negligence of an airline and only got 100 thousand euro out of it they're the ones getting swindled. I don't get why you have a boner for protecting the money of a corporation. Especially one willing to beat the shit out of its passengers and forcefully remove them for no reason other than they needed an open seat.
Err, yes. The ridiculous amounts people sue for in the US are anything but normal or justifiable. Like, millions of dollars for knocked out teeth? I'll let you knock out two of mine for the bargain price of 100k.
It was more than knocked out teeth.

Nah, I hope he takes United for all they are worth.

NeOak

Err, yes. The ridiculous amounts people sue for in the US are anything but normal or justifiable. Like, millions of dollars for knocked out teeth? I'll let you knock out two of mine for the bargain price of 100k.
You said 10k for everything, so since the concussion is what carries the biggest award money, I'll offer you a $800 United travel voucher for the involuntary destruction of your two teeth.

You can't decline. It is after all, an involuntary bump.

United gonna have cheaper flight for a good 3 months and then make back all there money from continuing Nickle and Diming customers....fuckem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom