• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick S.

Banned
If someone lost a relative based on the negligence of an airline and only got 100 thousand euro out of it they're the ones getting swindled.

I agree. But stress and two knocked out teeth shouldn't be worth millions, either. I guess I could have two tooth implants for 5k over here. Add 10k for the distress, and we arrive at the 15k I said I thought were more realistic. I realise that "suing culture" and settlements are way different on your side of the pond, but it's still amazing for someone not used to that.

Edit: forgot he had more damages, add the costs for fixing those, of course.

NeOak

United gonna have cheaper flight for a good 3 months and then make back all there money from continuing Nickle and Diming customers....fuckem

I'm flying today from a small airport. There were people joking about the United thing. Old people too.

This is everywhere.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Ultimately I think that's just a disgusting way to treat an elderly. Can you imagine something like that happened to your grandparents or parents in that age? So easy to suffer permanent injuries.

Holy crap. But seriously, this guy is believed to receive several million dollars as compensation??? Wow USA. That's not proportional in any way. People who lost relatives on the Germanwings flight get what, hundred thousand Euro? For knocked out teeth and the stress suffered I think something like 10-15k would be more realistic... If he really gets that much, he should donate a large amount to a good cause, seeing as he's a doctor, he won't be needing for cash, anyway.

It's not about the personal compensation. It's about the message it sends. United, and all corporations, need to understand that this sort of behavior and treatment of customers is outrageous and unacceptable on any level.

You're free to disagree though.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
15k for getting your nose broken and teeth knocked out, are you fucking serious? 15 fucking k? A wild idiot appears.

Sarye

Err, yes. The ridiculous amounts people sue for in the US are anything but normal or justifiable. Like, millions of dollars for knocked out teeth? I'll let you knock out two of mine for the bargain price of 100k.
It's not hard to find out how hurt he was on this very page. He suffered a serious concussion that could be a permanent injury. Especially for someone his age. 100k is not even going to cover much of his medical bills.

But even if the injuries wasn't as serious, the amount he may receive is still justified. United caused all this by their bad policies and lack of care for customers. This is just the extreme version of what happens.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i was about to book 2 flights with them but will now be going with another airline operator even if it does cost more. fuck you United.

Holy crap. But seriously, this guy is believed to receive several million dollars as compensation??? Wow USA. That's not proportional in any way. People who lost relatives on the Germanwings flight get what, hundred thousand Euro? For knocked out teeth and the stress suffered I think something like 10-15k would be more realistic... If he really gets that much, he should donate a large amount to a good cause, seeing as he's a doctor, he won't be needing for cash, anyway.

Leia would not like this post :(

Patrick S.

Banned
15k for getting your nose broken and teeth knocked out, are you fucking serious? 15 fucking k? A wild idiot appears.

No need for insults. The huge amounts people sue for in the US are what's idiotic. Sorry you live in a bubble and can't understand that the way some things are in the US may not be the standard in the rest of the world.

Patrick S.

Banned
It's not hard to find out how hurt he was on this very page. He suffered a serious concussion that could be a permanent injury. Especially for someone his age. 100k is not even going to cover much of his medical bills.

But even if the injuries wasn't as serious, the amount he may receive is still justified. United caused all this by their bad policies and lack of care for customers. This is just the extreme version of what happens.

Yeah, I do forget how expensive medical treatment is in the US of A, sorry.

Several million seems so wild to me, I'm happy that he might get that but it sounds like sooo solo much, i am from the UK and you never hear about payouts like that often if at all.

BigDug13

The concussion could also affect how well he performs as a doctor, so that is a loss of future earnings which must be considered when determining compensation. For the profession of doctor, that can add up to a substantial sum.

Squalor

You are disconnected from reality.
No need for insults. The huge amounts people sue for in the US are what's idiotic. Sorry you live in a bubble and can't understand that the way some things are in the US may not be the standard in the rest of the world.
I'm sorry you live in a state of mind where what they did to that innocent man isn't incredibly disgusting to you.

Patrick S.

Banned
The concussion could also affect how well he performs as a doctor, so that is a loss of future earnings which must be considered when determining compensation. For the profession of doctor, that can add up to a substantial sum.

Yeah, that is true. I remember reading how a car instance that covers up to a million is peanuts, because what if you kill or main a young doctor who may have earned a million a year for the next fifty years?

The point isn't mainly to benefit the person who was injured, it's to send a message to get your shit in gear to the company.

The CEO of united probably wipes his arse with 15k dollars like you're suggesting. They get sued for millions because they won't change anything if it doesn't hurt them financially, it's just an aside that someone gets a huge financial payoff for it.

Patrick S.

Banned
Hardly seem like the time and place for "LOL USA, amirite?!" shitposting when pretty much the whole world is united (heh) in support for this guy.

I'm not shitposting. I just live in a part of the world where many many things are different. Imagine that.

Edit: I do support him, of course. What happened to him was horrible. But not millions of dollars horrible, IMO. But we are running in circles. I'm out.

Squalor

I'm not shitposting. I just live in a part of the world where many many things are different. Imagine that.
Cool. Things are different where you are.

Maybe you should stay out of conversations about things you don't know if your contribution begins with something to the effect of "LOL, USA, so dumb. You guys don't know what you're doing because things are different where I am."
Millions is excessive in comparison to other control, but fuck big business, they'll be okay.
Not when, because of this situation that United caused, the Internet is fixing this man.

Gattsu25

Banned
200.webp
Not going to apologise for not believing a story until it's confirmed.

Dr. Dao was attacked by police at the behest of United after he stood up for his rights. That's where this begins for me. I refuse to read up on the smear campaign because it literally doesn't matter.

But that doesn't mean that I'll instantly start believing in a mistaken identity theory that started from an unknown twitter account and has never been corroborated, tho.

Pineapple

Several million seems so wild to me, I'm happy that he might get that but it sounds like sooo solo much, i am from the UK and you never hear about payouts like that often if at all.

Several million at a minimum. I'm sure his law team could get a settlement from United for something like $10 million if they wanted. If they do decide to take it to court, it could be two to three times that amount.

United can't win this case. They could hire the best lawyers in the world, and have a team of them working 24 hours a day until the case is over and they would still lose in court. The incident is well documented. Not a single civilian or aviation analyst would even consider siding with United on this. They can't win, so they're going to throw settlement money at Dao and his lawyers to shut up about all of this and never mention it again.

But if Dao does decide to take it to court, I'm sure they could pull in 3x the settlement money United offered them from punitive damages alone.

Patrick S.

Banned
Cool. Things are different where you are.

Maybe you should stay out of conversations about things you don't know if your contribution begins with something to the effect of "LOL, USA, so dumb. You guys don't know what you're doing because things are different where I am."

OK.

andthebeatgoeson

Can you guys, who are saying it's too much, at least, acknowledge that you are commenting on random internet speculation? Most settlements are not disclosed and so we have no idea how much he might get or will get.

Also, let's talk about how lawsuits are one of the limited options for a citizen in a capitalist society to change the behavior of a profit driven corporation.

So if capitalism isn't the bedrock of your society, large payouts may not be a thing? Is that the implication?

shiyrley

Banned
Err, yes. The ridiculous amounts people sue for in the US are anything but normal or justifiable. Like, millions of dollars for knocked out teeth? I'll let you knock out two of mine for the bargain price of 100k.
Are you actually ok with such a large company only having to pay an amount of money that whey won't even feel?

Yes, the sum should be in the millions, so that they fucking feel some loss over this.

Why are people on here who defend a corporation above a person who loss teeth because of that corporation?

Squalor

Are you actually ok with such a large company only having to pay an amount of money that whey won't even feel?

Yes, the sum should be in the millions, so that they fucking feel some loss over this.

Why are people on here who defend a corporation above a person who loss teeth because of that corporation?
Shitting on the United States is more important than empathy.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I agree. But stress and two knocked out teeth shouldn't be worth millions, either. I guess I could have two tooth implants for 5k over here. Add 10k for the distress, and we arrive at the 15k I said I thought were more realistic. I realise that "suing culture" and settlements are way different on your side of the pond, but it's still amazing for someone not used to that.

The settlement is punitive, it has to hurt, otherwise united and other airline would not have any incentives to change their policy and prevent similar situation.

An old man suffered a concussion, lost several teeth and was treated like pure garbage through no fault of his own. This ordeal will affect his privacy, job and health. At the hands of a huge corporation.

Of course he deserves more than 15k lol.

Gattsu25

Banned
An old man suffered a concussion, lost several teeth and was treated like pure garbage through no fault of his own. This ordeal will affect his privacy, job and health. At the hands of a huge corporation.

Don't let the obvious troll derail the thread. Pat's more concerned with taking Yanks down a peg than he is with the doctor's suffering or getting United to actually want to avoid this in the future through punitive measures.

See him for what he is.

sirap

Agreed. That concussion is the real downer. Sometimes you get away with nothing but a light headache, but they can also lead to CTE which will seriously impact his ability to function physically and mentally as he gets older.

Getting one at 69 just makes it more likely for the latter to happen. So yeah, 15k does not fucking cut it.

Ryuuroden

Dammaged exist to incentivis companies to be decent. 15k is not going to encourage change for a billion dollar company. Stuff that kills profits does. Imagine Volkswagen getting a slap on the wrist instead of huge fines for cheating. The lower the cost if your caught the more brazon companies are in cheating, hurting, acting unethical, and skirting laws. You can't always hope that public outrage does enough to incentive them to act decent.

Squalor

I just searched through 3 recent threads about internet privacy and couldn't find a single post from you, but thanks for taking the time to shit on this thread.
He's not from the U.S., I gather, so he doesn't need to worry about U.S. Internet privacy.

He can just focus on criticizing the U.S. to feel superior instead of focusing on anything in his own country.

nahlakhai

I love the people who try to bring up "more important things" to worry about on my FB feed. As if world hunger and the Middle East are going to be solved if we take our attention off United and what happened.

BigDug13

Edit: I do support him, of course. What happened to him was horrible. But not millions of dollars horrible, IMO. But we are running in circles. I'm out.

But you've already admitted your agreement that future earnings of a six figure profession should be considered, so now what do you think is a fair compensation for possibly losing his ability to perform your job effectively as well as the possible lifetime of pain from the injury and possible mental issues in the future?

I would take a beating to get a few million, obviously not that worth it or important to me on the money thing but to be able to eat and buy a home for the rest of my life, it's time to fly united.

it should never happen mind you

Jeffrey

I would take a beating to get a few million, obviously not that worth it or important to me on the money thing but to be able to eat and buy a home for the rest of my life, it's time to fly united.

it should never happen mind you

Heavy concussions could lead to brain damage and other stuff. Not sure if that is worth it

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I do forget how expensive medical treatment is in the US of A, sorry.
Not in the US but you're looking at this the wrong way.

This is about punishment so it doesn't happen again. These companies make billions and an amount that small is a slap on the wrist. You need to make it big to ensure they know they were wrong and warn them not to do it again. The only thing big companies and shareholders understand is money and profit - cut into that and it makes them rethink. Hell, I'm of the opinion even the banks that got away with shit should have all the profits they got illegally taken away AND then fine or jail top individuals as well.

Who are you to decide what it's worth and why is that anymore valid than someone who feels he should be awarded millions?

Gin-Shiio

This is hardly the place for a discussion of American sue culture. By American metrics, he deserves the amount mentioned. By other country's metrics, he doesn't, and he wouldn't get it either. However, he lives in the US, so American metrics apply. It's not rocket science.

kmax

Don't make me laugh. If those were limits, you'd have companies lining up to beat the shit out of their customers.

No, when it comes to corporations, they actually need to feel the consequences of their actions. The guy was publicly humiliated around the world, smeared, ridiculed and laughed at, thanks to these idiots. You honestly think he deserve to be paid peanuts for all of that? Laughable.

I love the people who try to bring up "more important things" to worry about on my FB feed. As if world hunger and the Middle East are going to be solved if we take our attention off United and what happened.

Just tell them that they have bigger things to worry about than what you're worrying about.

Where are you from? Because I think you'd really struggle to find a developed country on this Earth where this event is not worth significantly more than the equivalent of $15,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom