• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Front Games Twitter hinting at interesting news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camjo-Z

SLEEPING D-

CqiOXivWYAAIe1T.jpg

aaaaaand ya lost me

Harlequin

Well, our multiplayer only Sleeping Dogs spin-off failed, so clearly we need to just take the "Sleeping Dogs" part out of the equation!

Day never.

It's not exactly their fault if Square Enix doesn't want to bankroll Sleeping Dogs 2. Square are the IP owners, after all. (EDIT: And sure, they could try to create a spiritual successor but I'm pretty sure that an open-world game in the vein of Sleeping Dogs is quite expensive to develop and they're self-publishing this so they probably simply don't have that kind of budget at their disposal.)

I understand teams wanting to work on new projects, and things that they are passionate towards but it takes a lot of courage and self-discipline to look past personal biases towards their goals and ambitiona to consider the opportunity costs of moving forward with the project. I commend them for canning the MMO given their results with the beta. We've seen many developer that ignore negative feedback towards betas, pre-alphas or initial reveals and end up releasing a game that the majority do not care for, (The Order: 1886, Resident Evil 6 and Street Fighter V to name a few).

That being said, I would love a sequel to Sleeping Dogs, however we do have a lot of open world action-adventure games lately. They would have to do more than just add a coat of paint and a few new missions to make it relevant. Making it more like an 80s Chinese action movie would be a great start. At many points Sleeping Dogs felt more like a GTA clone rather than a martial arts movie inspired game.

Edit: Well that's disappointing.

Best wishes.

I lived just down the street from their Vancouver office for a short stint. I always looked up at their windows, wondering what they're cooking up next.

Keep in mind though that it was more than likely Square Enix who contracted United Front to make Triad Wars as opposed to another Sleeping Dogs instalment.

I'd love to see another, and I think with the open world genre at its peak it would be a good time for SE to invest in it. There are dozens of other major cities in China or Asia they could go to. How about Jakarta, and have a mission which is just like The Raid?

You're not wrong and I'd love to see another Sleeping Dogs done well, but Square Enix doesn't seem interested and as we now know, it's a self-published multiplayer game.

Heartfyre

You have a lot of people decrying the lack of new IP this gen, and then you see threads like this. Not saying that the people here are the same people, but it's an interesting thing to see people disappointed when a studio announces a new IP.

Anyway, besides the expectation that a successful game will receive a sequel, there was no reason to think that Sleeping Dogs required one. It didn't end on a cliffhanger or set up a sequel in any way. It was refreshingly self-contained in the context of an industry dependent on franchises with annual releases.

Camjo-Z

You have a lot of people decrying the lack of new IP this gen, and then you see threads like this. Not saying that the people here are the same people, but it's an interesting thing to see people disappointed when a studio announces a new IP.

Personally, I'll take sequels to my favorite games over new IPs any day. Also, Sleeping Dogs was too good to not want more.

BTA

This seems pretty boring, even ignoring how disappointed I am that it's not SD2. I get it, the money's probably not there for SD2, but this doesn't sound great.

Jeffrey

I do see the warriors vibe.

Wonder how combat works? Some of those animations do remind me of Wei shen's counter moves.

Can you even do Batman combat in multiplayer? Not with those counter windows...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll break out a new thread when the Steam page goes up and/or the official announcement happens so we have all the details.

Looks like a mish mash of Sunset Overdrive, Payday, Overwatch, and Crackdown/State of Emergency/etc.

Not bad but nothing really seems that interesting, and I'm not sure I really want to play a game where I am basically a looter, wonder if there is a cops faction as well.

I was excited about Sleeping Dogs 2 :(

From Videogamer

United Front Games' next game has been revealed - and it isn't Sleeping Dogs 2.

Heading to Steam Early Access in September, 'Smash + Grab' appears to put players in control of a gang member on the hunt for "loot, weapons and infamy". Further details have yet to be revealed, but by the look of the trailer (above) it seems to be a loot-based multiplayer brawler similar to 2002's beat 'em up State of Emergency.

Expect to hear much more on the game soon.

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/smash_...s_a_loot-based_brawler_called_smash_grab.html

What's with the kneejerk today?

It's hard to look at that art and trailer and not think that they're trying to ride the class-based multiplayer wave brought on by "hero shooters" or whatever you want to call it, just with their brand of melee gameplay. That, and it seems to have the cliched, borderline-stereotypical irreverence of a handful of other games (hell, even the logo itself evokes Sunset Overdrive). They're going to have to really sell me on why I should play this instead of any number of those kinds of games.

Hmm, people always cry about the lack of new IP, but in this thread we are whining for a sequel.

Looks exciting. I wish UF good luck with the game.

derFeef

It's hard to look at that art and trailer and not think that they're trying to ride the class-based multiplayer wave brought on by "hero shooters" or whatever you want to call it, just with their brand of melee gameplay. That, and it seems to have the cliched, borderline-stereotypical irreverence of a handful of other games (hell, even the logo itself evokes Sunset Overdrive). They're going to have to really sell me on why I should play this instead of any number of those kinds of games.

But that was before that trailer, and then the trailer certainly does not look like hero shooter.

edit: yay for 3rd person!

vypek

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
The full version will have more features and content, like maps, modes, characters, weapons, vanity items and more. We intend to publish our development roadmap for you to see and feedback on with our Early Access Launch.

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
We believe we have a solid foundation to build on. The Early Access version has 2 maps and modes, 7 playable Leaders, 13 Lieutenants, 20 different stores and vending machines to smash, and 12 base weapons with 18 weapon mods. In addition, the Leaders and Lieutenants are customizable with a base set of vanity items and perks. (And, more Leaders and Lieutenants will arrive in the weeks after our Early Access launch!) During Early Access we will continue to improve gameplay and game balance, and expand the game’s content and features. As well, we will work on hardware compatibility, networking features, optimization and, of course, bugs.

Just a couple things on the site when you read more on the "Why Early Access" page.

https://www.playsmashandgrab.com/?p=3554

derFeef

Does sound interesting imo.

Assemble Your Crew
Build A Gang For Any Situation

A gang includes a leader, a lieutenant, and 3 soldiers
Choose from a selection of melee and ranged characters
Combine your special abilities for deadly strategy
Level up characters to unlock perks and vanity items

Smash It Up
True Online Competitive Melee Combat

Fight against and alongside player and AI controlled enemies