• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal Studios Japan head says Mario attractions (and more) will best Harry Potter

maxcriden

Info from some tweets:

According to Mainichi Shinbun, the head of Universal Studios Japan says the Mario area will "exceed" Harry Potter. pic.twitter.com/jsyY3lEhgk
— Kyle McLain (@FarmboyinJapan) July 11, 2016

The head of Universal Studios Japan also says that not just Mario, but "many" of Nintendo's IPs are under consideration for the theme park.

Reaffirms the previous statement that the Nintendo area of Universal Studios Japan will be open by the 2020 Olympics.

While it took $400 million to build the Harry Potter area at Universal Studios Japan, Nintendo Land may cost "beyond $500 million".
— Kyle McLain (@FarmboyinJapan) July 12, 2016

MULTIPLE attractions/restaurants/stores are being jointly developed between Nintendo and Universal Studios Japan.

Looking like there is a possibility that Nintendo Land will be "officially announced" (unveiled?) to the public sometime before year's end.

(via GoNintendo.com)

--

So, what kind of attractions, themed areas, restaurants and shops do y'all want to see?

Jintor

If they don't have some kind of Splatoon paintball arena or water attraction or something they will be kicking themselves

thefro

I would suspect we'd get a similar announcement about the Orlando park around the same time (and that the investment will be a similar $$$ amount).

It's going to be pretty impressive with a $500 million budget. Probably at least a couple big-ticket rides and great theming/restaurants/shops, alongside some smaller stuff.

Jackano

Good to see how much they are investing, half a billion is serious.
Although the "beating Harry Potter" sounds a bit like PR talk, as in "our national IP will be the best in town".

Universal Studios Florida's Diagon Alley is legitimately one of the very few times a theme park has made me feel like I was in another world.

I remember some people were complaining "Why did Nintendo go with Universal and not Disney?" but I'm pretty damn sure Ninty made the correct choice here.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They'll just add exclusive Pokemon GO stuff to the park.

Raw64life

Just visited Japan for the first time a couple of weeks ago and knew right away that I'd be visiting again. I guess I now know when I'll be going back.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I want a ride where Kirby eats people then hurls them back up over large distances or like a water slide.

Good to see how much they are investing, half a billion is serious.
Although the "beating Harry Potter" sounds a bit like PR talk, as in "our national IP will be the best in town".
It certainly has the potential.

So, what kind of attractions, themed areas, restaurants and shops do y'all want to see?

I want a flaming cocktail called the Falcon Punch and for the area to play Song of Storms anytime it rains.

I'd like to see some recognition for some of Nintendo's "lesser" series like Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus, but I presume it's mainly going to be the "mainstream" stuff like Mario, Animal Crossing, and maybe Pokemon if The Pokemon Company agrees (They probably won't).

JaggedSac

Universal Studios Florida's Diagon Alley is legitimately one of the very few times a theme park has made me feel like I was in another world.

I remember some people were complaining "Why did Nintendo go with Universal and not Disney?" but I'm pretty damn sure Ninty made the correct choice here.

Agreed. None of the Disney areas were even close when I went to both earlier this year.

Agreed. None of the Disney areas were even close when I went to both earlier this year.
That has a lot to do with the fact that the trend of theming lands to a single IP started largely with Universal. Cars land is definitely comparable but Disney's land theming is cohesion through multiple IPs until recently. DisneySea is a good example of this. But I do think Universal is a good fit for Nintendo.

I dream of a day when I can take my daughter to an amusement park and ride Yoshi, see Mario and luigi, and go on a 3D coaster with link! Then, after a long day, go home and play Mario kart with my family...that would be some kind of special.

Nintendo is starting to win me back over. Can't deny, I love there franchises

Jeels

That's cool, I wanted to visit Japan either slightly before or slightly after the Olympics.

Between the FFXIV Eorzea Cafe and this, it'll be a gaming filled trip. :eek:

adj_noun

Guests can buy interactive wands in Harry Potter to make things happen in special locations in the park.

Universal, do that again for this, but with an interactive NES (or whatever) controller. Easy money.

A Mario Kart mega attraction is rumored to be the headliner. I have absolute confidence that Universal will knock it out of the park.

That's cool, I wanted to visit Japan either slightly before or slightly after the Olympics.

Between the FFXIV Eorzea Cafe and this, it'll be a gaming filled trip. :eek:

It may very well open in Orlando around the same time, or maybe a bit sooner. We'll see.

Jonm1010

Banned

Yeah it's a shame universal doesn't have more land like Disney because there theming has been top notch.

I would love to see what they could do with the space equivalent of one more park using their modern philosophy and committment to great theming.

I have absolute confidence that Universal will knock it out of the park.

Hopefully not...we want these attractions in the park!

....I'll see myself out.

In all seriousness though, I wish this wasn't years away from coming to fruition. I've wanted Nintendo-themed attractions my entire life.

Yeah it's a shame universal doesn't have more land like Disney because there theming has been top notch.

I would love to see what they could do with the space equivalent of one more park using their modern philosophy and committment to great theming.

They just bought 475 acres in Orlando

Then you'll be happy to know they recently bought enough land in Orlando to build a 3rd park!

It really is too bad they sold all their excess land they had years ago; so much room for expansion squandered!

In all seriousness though, I wish this wasn't years away from coming to fruition. I've wanted Nintendo-themed attractions my entire life.

Theme park stuff is super expensive and takes a long time to build. It sucks, but it is what it is. At least Universal tends to build relatively quickly in the theme park space, unlike Disney who takes fuckin' forever.

The Harry Potter thing is the first time Universal Orlando got even close to the immersion that Disney World brings. Though they'll always have the problem of being in the city and thus you'll never be able to completely shut out the outside work like you can if you stay on property at Disney World.

Theme park stuff is super expensive and takes a long time to build. It sucks, but it is what it is. At least Universal tends to build relatively quickly in the theme park space, unlike Disney who takes fuckin' forever.

Yeah, but it's a lot faster to construct mostly unthemed warehouses.

I quite like Universal, but they certainly halfass some things at times.

Eradicate

Guests can buy interactive wands in Harry Potter to make things happen in special locations in the park.

Universal, do that again for this, but with an interactive NES (or whatever) controller. Easy money.

Oh man...

There is/was a place in Myrtle Beach kind of like this but slightly different. You'd buy your base wand (along with other accessories and things) and took it around to play games, earning experience points. I believe you could then turn those points into "tickets" like at an arcade for extra merchandise, or to upgrade your wand. I'd love for that type of thing here, especially being a game-themed park!

Yeah, but it's a lot faster to construct mostly unthemed warehouses.

I quite like Universal, but they certainly halfass some things at times.

Kong and Gringotts both have excellent themed coverage for their show buildings, likely due to their placement relative to guest pathways. As long as the Nintendo attractions aren't built in areas where their buildings have numerous viewing angles like Forbidden Journey and Transformers, they'll probably be fine.

Neiteio

Man, I can't wait to see what kind of attractions they'll have

I recall hearing there were industry rumblings about Mario Kart?

Top Bottom