• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University of Missouri prof Melissa Click fired after threatening student, police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

“The board respects Dr. Click’s right to express her views and does not base this decision on her support for students engaged in protest or their views,” Henrickson said in the prepared statement. “However, Dr. Click was not entitled to interfere with the rights of others, to confront members of law enforcement or to encourage potential physical intimidation against a student.”

The statement from Henrickson cited Click’s behavior at the Homecoming parade, when she cursed at a police officer who was moving protesters out of the street, and on Nov. 9 at Concerned Student 1950’s protest site on the Carnahan Quadrangle. Her actions at the protest site, Henrickson said, “when she interfered with members of the media and students who were exercising their rights in a public space and called for intimidation against one of our students, we believe demands serious action.”

Source:
http://www.columbiatribune.com/news...cle_4b0ae653-2d61-5f3f-9ede-a129d12f0fd1.html

The protests at the flagship state university over race and other bias issues had paralyzed the campus and forced the resignation of the system president and chancellor. When a student journalist said he had a First Amendment right to be there and take photos, Click said, “I can’t hear you!” and started chanting, according to a transcript released by the university system, “Hey hey! Ho ho! Reporters have got to go!”

Click apologized, and many professors defended her and the principle of academic freedom, but the earlier image of her became a symbol for others of attempts to muzzle freedom of speech and of a public university system in chaos.

“The board believes that Dr. Click’s conduct was not compatible with university policies and did not meet expectations for a university faculty member,” Henrickson wrote.

“The circumstances surrounding Dr. Click’s behavior, both at a protest in October when she tried to interfere with police officers who were carrying out their duties, and at a rally in November, when she interfered with members of the media and students who were exercising their rights in a public space and called for intimidation against one of our students, we believe demands serious action.

“The board respects Dr. Click’s right to express her views and does not base this decision on her support for students engaged in protest or their views.

“However, Dr. Click was not entitled to interfere with the rights of others, to confront members of law enforcement or to encourage potential physical intimidation against a student.”

The university system released material collected, including Click apparently urging reporters to cover the protest earlier, a statement signed by many faculty members expressing strong support for her and for her First Amendment right to protest after the controversy erupted, police reports, a written apology from Click in response to a letter from the provost, and an interview in which she says she saw student protesters in November and was moved to lock arms with them, and that when she sees that video, she feels embarrassed, “and very sorry for my behavior in that moment.”

Source:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ushed-reporter-away-from-protesters-is-fired/

YouTube video of student incident:
https://youtu.be/xRlRAyulN4o

----------

It boggles the mind that a communications professor, with an appointment in the journalism department would think that it was OK to try to tell journalists that they are not allowed on public property and then to threaten one with physical harm.

It's great to see that the University is standing up for the first amendment rights of its students and making it clear that such behavior is not acceptable for a member of faculty.

stufte

The most important part of this is:

“The board respects Dr. Click’s right to express her views and does not base this decision on her support for students engaged in protest or their views,” Henrickson said in the prepared statement. “However, Dr. Click was not entitled to interfere with the rights of others, to confront members of law enforcement or to encourage potential physical intimidation against a student.”

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Ah yes, the "we need some muscle over here!" crazy person.

The video of that shows how shameful the entire thing was. The way they were walking into the student reporter to push them out of their 'safe space'. Her calling for muscle. Gross mob mentality.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Would someone explain why they didn't want the media reporting on it?

The mob mentality, ignorance, and bullying was shameful. Bunch of hypocrites.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Would someone explain why they didn't want the media reporting on it?

The mob mentality, ignorance, and bullying was shameful. Bunch of hypocrites.

Political ideologies, and subsequently what is considered acceptable behavior to further them, are a circle; not opposite ends of a spectrum. See the KKK Anaheim thread for additional examples of this behavior.

Syriel

The most important part of this is:

Yeah, that's a key quote. The school didn't fire her for expressing her own FA rights. The school fired her, in part, because she was trying to prevent students from expressing their own FA rights. Plus the whole threatening thing.

There's a growing trend of anti-reporting/media sentiment in some universities and it's honestly kind of scary.

The school paper I was a part of had whole political shenanigans happen with the student union, and then they got their office moved with little reasoning given by the union.

Guys, I get it, the media can be callous and filled with the same flaws any human endeavour can have. And yeah, they may say things that you don't like. But we can't not have people reporting on what's going on, and we can't stifle the rights people have at giving their viewpoint on things.

It honestly reflects an immature unwillingness to accept the varying views of the people. As if shutting ones ears from what people say makes them not exist.

Why would you not want to allow reporters to cover your event? This makes no sense to me. "We're protesting, but we dont' want anyone to know we're protesting, we want as little visibility as possible". It's not like the guy was there with a political agenda, he was just reporting.

liquidtmd

Banned
Every single person on that video ganging up on that guy wants throwing out of the university. Disgusting behaviour from the lot of them

kirblar

There's a growing trend of anti-reporting/media sentiment in some universities and it's honestly kind of scary.

The school paper I was a part of had whole political shenanigans happen with the student union, and then they got their office moved with little reasoning given by the union.

Guys, I get it, the media can be callous and filled with the same flaws any human endeavour can have. And yeah, they may say things that you don't like. But we can't not have people reporting on what's going on, and we can't stifle the rights people have at giving their viewpoint on things.

It honestly reflects an immature unwillingness to accept the varying views of the people. As if shutting ones ears from what people say makes them not exist.
It's the flipside of what's been happening on the right. It's just been more limited since it's coming in via the younger gen (vs the older existing generation being there on the right.)

David Brooks had a good column on it this week- http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/26/opinion/the-governing-cancer-of-our-time.html

Futureman

Here's a video of the incident.

Unrelated, but Mark is a friend of mine. He was ecstatic at how popular these videos have become.

wait why is your friend ecstatic? I thought it was going to be a video your friend made and was proud it was getting views but it looks like police cam footage that was publicly released?

The end is pretty funny... after the entire segment of the police clearing people off the street, the Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobile comes rolling down the street.

devilhawk

The ridiculousness that is the Missouri protest has never stopped.

Their current demands include a giant statue to be placed in the very same park.

Madness

The video of that shows how shameful the entire thing was. The way they were walking into the student reporter to push them out of their 'safe space'. Her calling for muscle. Gross mob mentality.

Crazy it took them this long to take action. A professor actually tried to threaten/intimidate a student reporter all for reporting on the protest. I remember the video. I think they even had signs up on the grass saying 'no media, safe space' lol.

Syriel

wait why is your friend ecstatic? I thought it was going to be a video your friend made and was proud it was getting views but it looks like police cam footage that was publicly released?

The end is pretty funny... after the entire segment of the police clearing people off the street, the Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobile comes rolling down the street.

The video in the OP was filmed by Mark. He was also the student that was threatened by Click.

Yoda

Isn't she a journalism/communications Professor too? The fact someone like her gets government funding for "research" is infuriating.

Geist-

The video in the OP was filmed by Mark. He was also the student that was threatened by Click.

What he said. He filmed the first video and as an aspiring journalist it looks pretty good on his resume.

MC Safety

Isn't she a journalism/communications Professor too? The fact someone like her gets government funding for "research" is infuriating.

She was.

And her first response to a journalist was, "you need to get out" followed by "I need some muscle."

I think her publication list is kind of amusing. She's written a lot about the Twilight novels...

Selected Publications:
Click, M. A., Lee, H., & Holladay, H. (2013). Making monsters: Lady Gaga, fan identification, and social media. Popular Music & Society, 6(3), 360-379.

Click, M. A., Aubrey, J. S., and Behm-Morawitz, E. (Eds.). (2010). Bitten by Twilight: Youth culture, media, and the vampire franchise. New York: Peter Lang.

Behm-Morawitz, E., Click, M. A., and Aubrey, J. S. (2010). “Relating to Twilight: Fans' Responses to Love and Romance in the Vampire Franchise.” In M. A. Click, J. S. Aubrey & E. Behm- Morawitz (Eds). Bitten by Twilight: Youth culture, media, and the vampire franchise. New York: Peter Lang.

Aubrey, J. S., Walus, S., and Click, M. A. (2010). “Twilight and the Production of the 21 st Century Teen Idol.” In M. A. Click, J. S. Aubrey & E. Behm-Morawitz (Eds). Bitten by Twilight: Youth culture, media, and vampire franchise. New York: Peter Lang.

Aubrey, J. S ., Behm-Morawitz, E ., & Click, M. A. (2010). The romanticization of abstinence: Fan response to sexual restraint in the Twilight series. Transformative Works and Cultures, 5. doi:10.3983/twc.2010.0216. http://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/article/view/216/184

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
She was.

And her first response to a journalist was, "you need to get out" followed by "I need some muscle."

I think her publication list is kind of amusing. She's written a lot about the Twilight novels...

Selected Publications:
Click, M. A., Lee, H., & Holladay, H. (2013). Making monsters: Lady Gaga, fan identification, and social media. Popular Music & Society, 6(3), 360-379.

Click, M. A., Aubrey, J. S., and Behm-Morawitz, E. (Eds.). (2010). Bitten by Twilight: Youth culture, media, and the vampire franchise. New York: Peter Lang.

Behm-Morawitz, E., Click, M. A., and Aubrey, J. S. (2010). “Relating to Twilight: Fans' Responses to Love and Romance in the Vampire Franchise.” In M. A. Click, J. S. Aubrey & E. Behm- Morawitz (Eds). Bitten by Twilight: Youth culture, media, and the vampire franchise. New York: Peter Lang.

Aubrey, J. S., Walus, S., and Click, M. A. (2010). “Twilight and the Production of the 21 st Century Teen Idol.” In M. A. Click, J. S. Aubrey & E. Behm-Morawitz (Eds). Bitten by Twilight: Youth culture, media, and vampire franchise. New York: Peter Lang.

Aubrey, J. S ., Behm-Morawitz, E ., & Click, M. A. (2010). The romanticization of abstinence: Fan response to sexual restraint in the Twilight series. Transformative Works and Cultures, 5. doi:10.3983/twc.2010.0216. http://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/article/view/216/184

Important stuff she's writing here and the university snuffed it out, Yost like that.

MC Safety

Important stuff she's writing here and the university snuffed it out, Yost like that.

The world needs Twilight fanfiction, sure, but it also has to be rounded out by an equal amount of thoughtful, scholarly writings.

I thank academia for helping to find a nice balance.

When I was in college, English was one of the gen-eds I had to take, naturally. Since there were obviously tons of students taking these classes they had multiple teachers who all based their own class around certain "themes." I was fortunate enough to be in a class revolving around modernism and works of the Lost Generation. One teacher had a class focused on Harry Potter, ugh, I'd have probably hung myself if I got stuck in that class.

When I was in college, English was one of the gen-eds I had to take, naturally. Since there were obviously tons of students taking these classes they had multiple teachers who all based their own class around certain "themes." I was fortunate enough to be in a class revolving around modernism and works of the Lost Generation. One teacher had a class focused on Harry Potter, ugh, I'd have probably hung myself if I got stuck in that class.
Haha, that sounds unusual. I don't think we have that here at Mizzou. I know we have some lower-level elective classes for freshmen (like 1-2 credits) that cover weird "fun" topics like Harry Potter or something similar, but I can't imagine that being taught in a plain English class.

Thank goodness I never had to taken an English class to find out though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom