• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unknown and unexplainable. What the hell is this at the bottom of my Tea mug? (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
It's most definately milk thats 'on the turn.' I was making a latté this morning and when I put the espresso shot in the steamed milk, it seperated into what your pic looks like. Bleargh.
Luckily I had a new fresh milk in the fridge.

It's brain. Somebody sneezed in mug and blew out some brain matter and now there it is, at the bottom of yer mug.

Might make for some good cesos tacos.

Right, I will have to go with curdled milk. It's the only possible explanation.

I thought so paranormal shit was going on.

The other day, as I was making tea, I swear to batman, the cup moved. It like, skimmed across a few centimetres.

Dabookerman said:
Right, I will have to go with curdled milk. It's the only possible explanation.

I thought so paranormal shit was going on.

The other day, as I was making tea, I swear to batman, the cup moved. It like, skimmed across a few centimetres.

There's a good reason for that. If the bottom ridge of the cup was wet it created an air tight seal and air was trapped between the cup and the counter. As you poured the hot water into the cup it heated the air, which expanded, causing the cup to glide across the counter. It will also happen if you take a cap off a cold beverage and set it on a warm counter top, and all sorts of stuff. It's pretty neat, but it can be creepy.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
There's a good reason for that. If the bottom ridge of the cup was wet it created an air tight seal and air was trapped between the cup and the counter. As you poured the hot water into the cup it heated the air, which expanded, causing the cup to glide across the counter. It will also happen if you take a cap off a cold beverage and set it on a warm counter top, and all sorts of stuff. It's pretty neat, but it can be creepy.

:lol :lol :lol

Please, please explain your username.

KevinCow

Banned
You were having tea and biscuits with your mum? This has to be the most stereotypically British post I've seen on this board.

Pseudo_Sam said:
:lol :lol :lol

Please, please explain your username.

Just sort of popped into my head and I ran with it. I love the abominable image it sparks. It's like a cross between those aborted baby signs catholics always trot around with and a dead walrus.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:

See, I thought about that, because I said specifically how no matter how little friction there is, an object cannot move without any force pushing it.
However, and I tell you this honestly. The cup moved as I was going to get the milk from the fridge. The cup was stationary for approximately 45 seconds. As I closed the fridge door and went towards where the cup was positioned, that's when I saw it move.

KevinCow said:
You were having tea and biscuits with your mum? This has to be the most stereotypically British post I've seen on this board.

I was never having tea with her. She was having tea, I was talking to her, she drank it and basically said to me, "what the fuck is this shit".

Dabookerman said:
See, I thought about that, because I said specifically how no matter how little friction there is, an object cannot move without any force pushing it.
However, and I tell you this honestly. The cup moved as I was going to get the milk from the fridge. The cup was stationary for approximately 45 seconds. As I closed the fridge door and went towards where the cup was positioned, that's when I saw it move.

I was never having tea with her. She was having tea, I was talking to her, she drank it and basically said to me, "what the fuck is this shit".

The force is created by the heat energy effecting the air and causing it to expand. It most likely lifted up one side of the mug causing it to slide to one side, or the counter may not have been level and it was simply kinetic energy. It creates the sort of effect a hovercraft does, it's actually planing. It's happened to me before and the first time it happened I got curious and tried to reproduce it, and it worked strangely enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom