• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

News Unlock Michigan achieves required signatures for proposal

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
The group Unlock Michigan has collected over 400,000 signatures thus far, seeking to rescind some of the power granted to the Governor by the Emergency Powers of Governor Act of 1945. The Governor of Michigan has currently been operating under a State of Emergency since May 19th, and the State Legislature has had no say in the matter. Under the current law, Whitmer can operate under a State of Emergency indefinitely. Unlock Michigan seeks to repeal the
Emergency Powers of Governor Act of 1945, which would then limit the power of the Governor under the 1976 Emergency Management Act. The Governor would then be forced to receive approval from the legislature every 28 days to extend a State of Emergency.

As a resident of Michigan, I'm glad to see this moving forward. I don't want to live in a state where the leader can assume vast powers without any opportunity for checks and balances. Hopefully this can move ahead and repeal a WW2 era law that shouldn't be on the books today.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
How it works is that 350,000 signatures needed, so they are going for 500,000 to be safe. It takes about 75 days for it to go thru the proper channels and counting, and then they can out it on the ballot, or directly pass it thru the State Senate, which is Republican controlled and they have signaled they would do just that.

This is what tiny tyrant said about it;

"“So, I ask people to decline to sign if you see that out there because we know these actions have saved us. The vast majority of people in this state get it and support this.”

That should end any debate if she is for the people. She just wants power. I loathe her because she did things that made zero sense, and pissed off my wife. That's enough for me even if I view her as a complete imbecile.

EHuntingon

Gold Member
Jul 30, 2013
Michigan
ehuntington.org
How it works is that 350,000 signatures needed, so they are going for 500,000 to be safe. It takes about 75 days for it to go thru the proper channels and counting, and then they can out it on the ballot, or directly pass it thru the State Senate, which is Republican controlled and they have signaled they would do just that.

"“So, I ask people to decline to sign if you see that out there because we know these actions have saved us. The vast majority of people in this state get it and support this.”

That should end any debate if she is for the people. She just wants power. I loathe her because she did things that made zero sense, and pissed off my wife. That's enough for me even if I view her as a complete imbecile.
Whitmer used that power to shove sick patients into nursing homes. She’s no better than Cuomo. When the legislature tried to step in and tell her to put sick people in separate facilities, she vetoed it. Whitmer is an evil woman.

Reactions: cryptoadam

BouncyFrag

Feb 10, 2014
Whitmer used that power to shove sick patients into nursing homes. She’s no better than Cuomo. When the legislature tried to step in and tell her to put sick people in separate facilities, she vetoed it. Whitmer is an evil woman.
They needed that death count for their talking points against Trump.

• Triggered
Reactions: EHuntingon

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
Whitmer-Cuomo are 1-1a as far as awful governor tyrants imo. Good job Michigan, NYers are too cucked to do anything about it

JayK47

Nov 2, 2019
Old people are supposedly more likely to vote Trump. So they must die for the greater good. Trump must be stopped at all costs, even if that means killing all supposed Trump supporters.

Here in MN, we are still in a State of Emergency. I am guessing that will not stop any time soon.

Plague Doctor

Mar 23, 2015
As long as people are peacefully lighting buildings fires and smashing storefront, Whitmer will be completely cool with easing restrictions. Remember - upper middle class white 20 somethings larping out revolutionaries and destroying other people's property is the language of the unheard and all about reparations.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011

Hmm. More "The minority can go fuck themselves" rhetoric.

I'm seeing more and more of this reasoning. Funny how minorities only matter when its politically convenient to this party!

Feb 25, 2013
Indiana here. This is great news for me. I've been training hardcore for arm wrestling and Michigan's dictator has been pushing back the big tournament date over and over again. I'm ready for my first go at the amateur division. Hope this goes through.

A couple groups from Michigan came to our open practice here in Indiana. They seemed like they where pretty thirsty for some pulling.

If this keeps up much longer, wouldn't be surprised if arm wrestling peeps start organizing their own unofficial tourneys outside of the state. They'd hold just as much weight in the arm wrestling world even though they wouldn't be state sponsored. But then again, I bet they'd get snitched on gestapo style if it was televised or put on youtube...

I mean, at least let us hold it outside like other states have recently done for goodness sakes.

Oct 21, 2016
This is just one step of many to limit the governor's emergency powers. It basically just makes it so that in order to keep extending those powers she would have to get it ok'd by the legislature every 28 days. It's very important but I hope people don't too excited around here and think if this goes through that all of a sudden she will be powerless and the state will just open right back up.

Off topic but does anyone think the guy on the left in the thumbnail above has a snowball's chance in hell of winning that arm wrestling match.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018
Indiana here. This is great news for me. I've been training hardcore for arm wrestling and Michigan's dictator has been pushing back the big tournament date over and over again. I'm ready for my first go at the amateur division. Hope this goes through.

A couple groups from Michigan came to our open practice here in Indiana. They seemed like they where pretty thirsty for some pulling.

If this keeps up much longer, wouldn't be surprised if arm wrestling peeps start organizing their own unofficial tourneys outside of the state. They'd hold just as much weight in the arm wrestling world even though they wouldn't be state sponsored. But then again, I bet they'd get snitched on gestapo style if it was televised or put on youtube...

I mean, at least let us hold it outside like other states have recently done for goodness sakes.

Victory awaits you sir. Seize the day when that day comes!

• Strength
Reactions: VlaudTheImpaler

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
Some of us said long ago, when these governments "found" these emergency tyrant powers, they were not going to let go of them easily. We were mocked as tin foil hatters.

Welp.

Based and redpilled imo

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2013
This is just one step of many to limit the governor's emergency powers. It basically just makes it so that in order to keep extending those powers she would have to get it ok'd by the legislature every 28 days. It's very important but I hope people don't too excited around here and think if this goes through that all of a sudden she will be powerless and the state will just open right back up.

Off topic but does anyone think the guy on the left in the thumbnail above has a snowball's chance in hell of winning that arm wrestling match.
Guy on the left won that match breh. Size isn't something you should pay too much attention to for arm wrestling as it's hard to tell how large your tendons are under all that bulky red muscle tissue. Lot's of people, especially body builders, skip out on training and building their tendons, where much of your lasting and true strength comes from.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepEnigma

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Don't be too sure about the repeal of the the emergency powers. Sure Whitmer is in the cross hairs, but don't forget that both sides can use the powers for their own ends.
I agree; that's why I left any mention of Party out of the OP. It truly should be a non-partisan issue.

• Thoughtful
Oct 21, 2016
Guy on the left won that match breh. Size isn't something you should pay too much attention to for arm wrestling as it's hard to tell how large your tendons are under all that bulky red muscle tissue. Lot's of people skip out on training and building their tendons, especially body builders, where much of your lasting and true strength comes from.
Damn...that guy on the right was jacked, shows how much I know about arm wrestling lol.

• Strength