Unlock the "Very High" quality setting for Xbox Streaming!

Sep 9, 2008
Victoria, BC, Canada
twitter.com
Several users over on Reddit have posted about a method to unlock the "Very High" streaming setting in the Xbox app on Windows 10. I searched here, didn't see it posted- so I'd like to share the info here!

I tried this myself and it works as advertised, I'm getting 18mbps streaming quality now, was only around 9mbps before.

Simply open the "userconsoledata" file with Notepad in the Xbox App folder and change IsInternalPreview to true instead of false.

Example:
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.XboxApp_~~~~~~\LocalState

[Close your Xbox App before you begin]

Step 1: Open File Explorer, and copy/paste this location:
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Packages\

Step 2: Scroll down and open the folder that starts with "Microsoft.XboxApp..."

Step 3: Open the folder LocalState

Step 4: Right click the file called "userconsoledata" and choose Open With.. (select Notepad)

Step 5: Change this:
<IsInternalPreview>false</IsInternalPreview>
into this: <IsInternalPreview>true</IsInternalPreview>

Step 6: Now open the Xbox App, begin streaming- and in the top right of the stream window, click the ((o)) button to select Very High. See the pic below,

Edit:

Here's World of Tanks on High:

Here's World of Tanks on Very High:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jun 9, 2004
www.eurogamer.net
Tried it as well.

Seems that the resolution is increased and appears native now but the bit-rate is still a bit low (plenty of artefacts) and the frame-rate is variable.

I wrote up an article on this feature and that's the one thing that's really bothering me - inconsistent performance. Now I'm getting a constant 18mbps while, with high, I was getting 14. In both cases, performance seems to go from completely stable to ~35-45fps without any change in bandwidth read-outs.

Steam in-home streaming works perfectly but Xbox streaming just isn't smooth enough.

Just did a quick Minecraft test. You can see quite a bit a blur in the top one:

High:

Very High:
Heh, it's kind of funny that of all things Minecraft is probably one the best demonstrators for this tech, at least as far as image quality goes.

Is the feature not fully released yet? I thought it was with the launch of Win10
Xbox Streaming has launched officially, but this "Very High" mode is still in internal testing only, so it's disabled in public builds by default.

Mar 29, 2015
This is great... I just wish my computer would detect the xbox one controller when doing this... Seriously, every game notices the controller but the app claims otherwise. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jun 10, 2004
Windsor, UK
Is there a way to force the Xbox app window to the native resolution of the stream (eg 1080p)? I play on a 3440x1440 monitor and usually resize the app to 16:9 and have a browser up next to it. But that will most likely be scaling it non-optimally.

Feb 7, 2012
I was locked around 10-12mbps before. I wonder how much more bandwitch will I use with this new setting and if its worthy.

Great tip!

Aug 18, 2014
Eurogamer have done a small article on this with a quick comparison. Very High seems much better than the lower settings, crazy they would lock this off really.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-10-xbox-one-streaming-very-high-quality-mode

Locked out for now, that's normal. It probably needs more work before it goes public, you just know that people with the wrong setup or hardware will try to use very high and then bitch about the performance lol.

Sep 3, 2006
Had to go back to High. The picture quality is a little better, but the input lag increases just a tiny bit to be annoying. Pulling 15-18mbps

Jun 4, 2006
does very high bring back 60fps or is it still capped at 30?

why would they block this option?
it's a huge bandwidth strain, I would think you need a modern router and maybe some high quality cables for that speed without stutter and issues? my few years old virgin media hub has a little trouble with the normal high setting for what I can tell, on a wired connection.

Strain as in without packet loss or video playback issues, I know a lot of networks can transfer files bigger then that but while also playing the footage in real time? dunno i'm no lan expert.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Mar 24, 2015
Holy shit, the stream is 1080p now! And the higher bitrate adds so much more detail! But there's some stuttering here and there, expected as it's an internal build, then.

Edit: There is a lot more input lag now.

Nov 5, 2013
I'm liking this but can't get my thrustmaster tx steering wheel to work on xbox games through the application.

Has anybody got any xbox one controller's or peripherals to work how I want?