• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szeth

Not even Jaime and Bronn could save Dorne. They had their great fight scene in episode 4, but then the awfulness consumed them too. Maybe with the sand snakes and fighting out of the way it'll get better. Doran save us!

Also I really like eatchildren's posts in the other thread. Makes sense if this is where Theon really starts to come back.

A-V-B

Exactly what I was thinking. Given the pep talk from Baelish about "making Ramsey yours" I would have thought this scene would have played out very differently. Add in Sansa's talk to Myranda and there would have been more than enough precedent for her to seduce/control Ramsey in this moment.

Also, as Sansa, you know this is coming. You know the customs, you know Ramsey is a sick person. Mentally, tactically, logically, (post Baelish) Sansa would prepare herself. The show has not been leading Sansa to be this dumb and it sucks to just have everything thrown in the gutter.

Like Martin said, they could make the show about aliens and it'd still be a "whatever" situation.

Patriots7

Ramsay's absolute malevolence being subdued by Sansa's newfound take-charge attitude? That's verging on Mary Sue territory.

Sansa 'had' to marry Ramsay for Littlefinger to frame the Bolton's as traitors, which lines him up for a win-win-win and control of the north in the coming Baratheon-Bolton-Lannister scrap.
Or Littlefinger sits in his impregnable castle and waits until everything is played out, meanwhile scheming to marry Sansa off to the next in line to the Vale, so that Littlefinger is in position to make strong claims to the Vale, the North and the Riverlands.

I get the Vale storyline is 'boring' (oh my god, nobody get's raped!), but at least it makes sense.

But there were so many ways they could have utilized Sansa, even departing from the books. And they unfortunately chose the most disappointing.

I think what people wanted from that scene was for her to not even be there at all
I love this post.

From the unsullied thread, this post killed me:
Guys we don't know if Ramsay finishes or not....Maybe Reek will stab him in next week's episode.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I gave the Sand Snakes a pass during their first appearance, but this... this was just bad.

Lautaro

Dude, look no further than that guy saying they didn't intend it as a rape and watch everyone pile on about how the writers are terrible and derpa derpda durr. Fucking nowhere in that article did Cogman say it wasn't a rape scene.

I don't see what point you are trying to make.

So people need to silence their criticisms or they are not true fans?

That article actually proves that they don't know what they are doing with Sansa's arc.

-griffy-

Banned
Did everyone in here love that Bronn's reaction to the Sand Snakes mirrored the thread's? "Oh for fuck's sake." I can't tell if that was self aware or just general Bronn-ness. I feel like it was a bit self aware.

Dysun

In a way I'm glad the show and books have diverged almost entirely. I can enjoy the show in a "Let me see how awful this can get, and miss the point entirely" way instead of wishing it was better

The comments about it being the single worst episode to date are probably accurate. That Sand Snake 'brawl' was hilariously bad

I missed the Sandsnake's first appearance but my Seven they are awful. How can they put this in but not even JonCon, or even a supercondensed Ironborn Plot. At least the Ironborn could justify this level of bad/stupid in the terms of Victarion/Euron.

Burt

Or Littlefinger sits in his impregnable castle and waits until everything is played out, meanwhile scheming to marry Sansa off to the next in line to the Vale, so that Littlefinger is in position to make strong claims to the Vale, the North and the Riverlands.

I get the Vale storyline is 'boring' (oh my god, nobody get's raped!), but at least it makes sense.

Marrying Sansa off to Robin would be Littlefinger dealing himself out of the game. He's only lord of the Vale until Robin comes of age, at which the title is Robin's. Not that that matters, because Robin's clearly a dead kid walking, but marrying Sansa to Robin would be a waste of time and marrying her to anyone else in the Vale means putting her a step further beyond the child of his (short-lived) wife. Sansa only helps him move beyond the Vale if she marries him.

He could sit behind the walls of his castle, but then instead of manufacturing a reason for all sides to favor him, he'd be giving all sides a reason to resent him. So instead of holing up in his castle, he's turning everyone against each other and putting himself in the perfect position to demonstrate his ability, loyalty, and worthiness to rule the North regardless of who comes out on top, as long as he's there right at the end to help with the final push that shoves whoever's weaker off the edge. You're talking about him making claims after the fact, when what he's working towards is his right being self-evident and undisputed.

He's not going to sit in his castle and wait for things to play out so he can say, "But look at meeeee!" Chaos is a ladder, bro. Gotta climb it.

I doubt they'll do that...I mean, what's the point of giving the dude this much screen time and then having that shit happen to him.

It'll probably happen.

vgYpsjG.jpg

Ramsay having Theon watch is fucked up enough already without resorting to pulling the R-card.

I haven't had an issue with a lot of other things they've done in this area (at least, the ones they intentionally changed) but this was just unnecessary.

I mean, I don't see how it could have played out any other way given their characters. They aren't going to make sweet love under the stars.

carlsojo

Say what you will about Joffrey, but he wouldn't have sat there meekly. Heads would have rolled. Of course given that the royal family went there with not much protection, it might not have ended so well for King Joffrey.

There were only two of the Kingsguard in the room, but they were in full armor and would have murdered the shit out of the Faith people. Plus I can't imagine there weren't more knights outside.

Yeah, this wasn't a good episode. The Dornish stuff and the Sansa rape being bad weren't exactly surprising, I've long had reservations about those, but the rest of the episode wasn't so hot either.

Atlantis

The writer producer also confirmed that, for those suspecting Littlefinger might have known about Ramsay’s sadism, that Baelish was definitely ignorant of the situation. “The difference between the Ramsay Snow of the books and the show is the Ramsay of the show is not a famous psycho,” he said. “He’s not known everywhere as a psycho. So Littlefinger doesn’t have the intelligence on him. He knows they’re scary and creepy and not to be folly trusted and it’s part of a larger plan.”

W O W

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

I liked parts of this but Dorne wasn't very good and while the Sansa scene in a certain way makes sense it was really, really, hard to watch.

I get why they think it had to happen but man I wish they could have found a way to avoid doing something like that. Like have him be cruel to her before the wedding or something like that and she runs away beforehand.

Patriots7

Say what you will about Joffrey, but he wouldn't have sat there meekly. Heads would have rolled. Of course given that the royal family went there with not much protection, it might not have ended so well for King Joffrey.
It would have been great if that was Joffrey. I really like that we're getting more of Olenna though.

But Jesus Christ, I'm still digesting the episode. They got rid of everything I liked about Dorne in the books.

At least the set is fucking gorgeous.

LordCanti

There were only two of the Kingsguard in the room, but they were in full armor and would have murdered the shit out of the Faith people. Plus I can't imagine there weren't more knights outside.

They couldn't have guaranteed that the Queen, Queen Mother, Grandmother of the Queen, King, and High Septon weren't injured or killed in what would have certainly been a close quarters melee.

Lautaro

The North just doesn't seem like the type of place that can be ruled by decree. Even the Boltons know that they need more to rule. I hope that TV Littlefinger knows that and is part of his plan.

carlsojo

It would have been great if that was Joffrey. I really like that we're getting more of Olenna though.

But Jesus Christ, I'm still digesting the episode. They got rid of everything I liked about Dorne in the books.

At least the set is fucking gorgeous.

"Arrest the queen."

Cut to a shot of the Faith's head on a pike.

I like that they're making Cersei seem somewhat more competent because it's going to be even more magnificent once it all falls apart.

In the next book or the next season (whichever comes first) I look forward to seeing what the Tyrells do.

Holy shit, the Sand Snakes have been so disappointing. They looked like little kids, all fighting together, no one landing any real blows. Bronn and Jaime showing up RIGHT at the same time, in poor disguises...oof. Saturday morning cartoon shit.

Arya scenes were pretty good (especially liked the little lie detected when Arya claims she hated the Hound :) ) but the rest of the episode was trash.

Lautaro

I like that they're making Cersei seem somewhat more competent because it's going to be even more magnificent once it all falls apart.

In the next book or the next season (whichever comes first) I look forward to seeing what the Tyrells do.

Oh yes, this could save the season for me.

jett

D-Member
Well that was sickening. What was the point of that? This show may have high production values, but it's approaching shit-tier television.

Eh. I actually enjoyed how dumb and vulnerable she was in the books after daddy died. Because at the same time, she still thinks she's the shit and plots this whole thing just to have it completely blow up in her face. So good.

From Polygon:

The scenes in Dorne still feel like they were taken from another show entirely. Someone on Twitter joked to me that they feel like outtakes from an unaired season of Hercules, and that's kind of brutal but kind of true

SO true.

-griffy-

Banned
I thought the Arya stuff was great. Why the hate?
People are hating the Arya stuff? That legit gave me chills. The imagery and soundtrack during that whole sequence, from when she comforts the girl to seeing the faces, was amazing. Strong start to the episode for sure I thought, regardless of what came after.

Book readers sure love shitting on the show this season. Some justified, some not.

For me the only poor part was the Dorne stuff and the fact Tommen just let the Faith take Margery while he had his Kingsguard standing behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom