• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 No's and a yes make a yes?

I always looked at that scene as rape and i'm surprised by people not seeing it as such. She was groomed by her brother and basically sold off as a bride.

I don't disagree, but I think GRRM refers to that scene as the most romantic thing he's ever written. Take that as you will.

Daemul

FG39BTa.gif

suzu

The Sand Snakes and Dorne story is pretty laughable right now. I really wanted to like them.. but that fight looked terrible.

LF is a sneaky bastard.

The pillars of heads was creepy! I liked the music.

They should've left Tommen as a cute child that spends his days playing with kittens. He is a doormat. I also still haaate show Loras' arc/characterization.

The last scene made me feel so fucking awful for Sansa and Theon. :( Alfie Allen is really one of the best actors on the show. I honestly wasn't expecting any other situation to go down, because it's freaking Ramsay Bolton. He's a monster. TWOW:
Harry the Heir he is not

The Winterfell stuff in the book is set up for Theon, so putting Sansa there just screws around with her story arc. I hope she gets her revenge and Theon helps her escape.

Flare

This episode started off alright, with Arya and Jorah/Tyrion. But my god, when the writing gets bad in this show (and especially this season), it's terrible.

Ponn

Banned
He didn't have sex with her until she said yes.

That, in my book, is much less rapey than what the show gave us.

Considering she later falls in love with him (her moon and stars and all that), makes more sense for them to keep the 'mostly kind' barbarian king in the show instead of that. I was baffled at their choice.

Rape is rape, at least that's what GAF tells me (i didn't need GAF to tell me this its just ironic i'm having this discussion on GAF). Regardless given the situation she was in, the way her brother treated her, being that young with everyone around you telling you to be this guy's bride and fuck him or else. She eventually says yes, because what else she is going to do, so its ok? Honestly this is pretty fucked up. I'm going to bed.

Patriots7

It does because this is a show with 7 seasons and Ramsay Bolton is a psychopath who will probably die.

For whatever damage it did to the Winterfell plot, Sansa being there is infinitely more interesting than a character who isn't in the show already. The longer a show goes on, the less welcome new characters become.

Sansa already stood up for herself once in this episode. Now she's lost her innocence. Next, she'll learn how to outmaneuver these horrible men without anyone's help.

How would she become a better character being shielded by the knights of the Vale in seclusion? What would we gain from seeing Ramsay torture another character.

Wouldn't an easier path to Reek's redemption be through telling Sansa that her brothers are alive, and helping her escape, perhaps even killing Ramsay?

You have to understand that this show goes from point A to point G, from G to R, and R to Z. All the points that are so carefully laid out in the books are sacrificed, and so some stuff makes much less sense. However, I'd much rather them cut out ALL fake outs, resurrections, pretend characters, warging, and other stuff that takes screen time from the best characters. This Dorne storyline should have never been featured, but I don't know if I'd trade it for a bunch of people that show Ramsay would have killed already.
Then cut the marriage plot out.
In the books, Sansa's act of defiance, not bowing during her wedding to Tyrion, was removed altogether from the show. Because Show Sansa just goes with the flow.

She was curt to Myranda, and then cried afterwards. Then got raped. That's not character development. She has shown more signs of development in one chapter of TWOW than the entire season already. Jesus Christ.

They could have had Sansa work with the Northern lords and give the audience a depiction of Sansa doing ANYTHING other than being a victim. But now she's just a plot device for Theon, as opposed to a major character of the story. Hell, as someone pointed out, they could have even made Sansa/Ramsay less demeaning to her character.

Theon's redemption was even more rewarding, because it was a 'nobody' that he risked it for.

Speevy

Banned
What if Littlefinger and the knights of the Vale, Stannis' army, the Bolton army, a ragtag band of northern rebels, and the Lannister army all showed up at Winterfell at the same time?

Littlefinger would be like "Shit."

Yes, in a fictional world where guys can brutality rape their wives and everyone else for that matter, the fact that Drogo, a monster according to everyone, actually asks for consent is fucking refreshing.

Yes, in the real world, it would be rape because she was like 13 in the books. As would Tommen/Margeary. And pretty much every other marriage in the show, since all the women are groomed the way Dany was.

It would have made absolutely no difference. Stop beating the dead horse as they say.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I just want Cersei to get everything she deserves over the next few episodes.

I actually really hate that they're going this route with Lorris (?) since it's a mute point that he likes the company of men. I really wanted more of a royal brawl of Cersei vs Margery.

Drogo raping Dany makes a whole lot more sense, given that she is just an innocent girl betrothed to a freaking barbarian.

That was not a bad choice at all.

The whole point was that he was gentle to her and loved her, defying expectations.

Also, I can't even fathom what the fuck they were thinking with the sand snakes. It's all terrible.

Speevy

Banned
The whole point was that he was gentle to her and loved her, defying expectations.

Which no woman would respond to, given the circumstances.

These are not aliens. Dany is a person with feelings, not a 13 year old girl who likes grown men to touch her.

At the beginning of her story, she makes no decisions for herself. What does it say about Dany if in the first episode she lets the first man who cares a little for her into her bed?

Zabka

Drogo in the books was gentle to her on their wedding night, then fucked her until she cried every night after. He was a dick.

Szeth

Dorne/Spain reminds me of season 2-3 north of the wall/Iceland. Sacrificed quality just to get the scenery of on location shooting. I mean they had to clear out an important tourist attraction for those water garden scenes right? Probably rushed the production and limited what they could do. The sand snakes horrible acting is all on them though, at least Kit had the excuse of being frozen all the time and has since been great.

suzu

I think it's a tad better than the Stockholm syndrome thing Dany had going on the show.. which kinda got handwaved away / ignored. But whatever.

I thought it was a good episode.

All the Tyrion.Jorah talk was very good. "The dwarf lives until we find a cock merchant' is now my favorite line.

Arya was excellent as well. Dorne is just stupid. Introducing the sand snakes just to make their attempt look really half assed. They had to know about all the guards and they walk in and quit right away.

Sansa wedding scene looked great. I really didn't react at all to the rape scene. We've all been talking about it and expecting it for weeks and I really thought it was going to be much worse than that. Thinking about the context of it now is worse than the scene.

This show is terrible. Glad to see characters like Sansa getting raped because Benioff and Weiss have no idea what a plot arc is. Mormont is now Conninigton? Sure, we just liked that story beat, even though it has no connection to his arc either. Die, Barristan, die, we don't know where you fit into the future plot.

I can't wait for the continued reveal of the Emperor's lack of clothes!

Ramsay was going to consummate the marriage, not sure why people are surprised at the scene happening. The whole thing is there are 4 episodes left, it is all about what the payoff here is.

Speevy

Banned
This show is terrible. Glad to see characters like Sansa getting raped because Benioff and Weiss have no idea what a plot arc is. Mormont is now Conninigton? Sure, we just liked that story beat, even though it has no connection to his arc either. Die, Barristan, die, we don't know where you fit into the future plot.

I can't wait for the continued reveal of the Emperor's lack of clothes!

I thought Sansa getting raped was to show the difference between a gentleman like Tyrion and an evil bastard like Ramsay.

It will also help the audience understand when she flees or kills him. She seems to be okay with all the other horrible things he's done.

Speevy

Banned
Promo for ep 7 discussion

Sansa seems to be crying while Ramsay is smiling. Is it possible that Stannis is snowed in and they've received that news?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I thought Sansa getting raped was to show the difference between a gentleman like Tyrion and an evil bastard like Ramsay.

It will also help the audience understand when she flees or kills him. She seems to be okay with all the other horrible things he's done.

That's all old news though

This show has never been great, but now it's basically unwatchable.

Of course the odious rape scene was completely repellent, but the bigger problem is that the rest of the episode was just boring. It was almost putting me to sleep.

Speevy

Banned
This show has never been great, but now it's basically unwatchable.

Of course the odious rape scene was completely repellent, but the bigger problem is that the rest of the episode was just boring. It was almost putting me to sleep.

I thought they really did a wonderful job with the Arya scenes. It's probably the best I've ever seen Maisie Williams.

And rape scenes are supposed to be repellent.

kirblar

You know, for a book series that already had a bunch of rape, they sure enjoy adding a bunch of rape that isn't needed.

Danny/Drogo (wasn't rape in the book)
Jamie/Cersei (wasn't rape in the book)
and now Sansa/Ramsey (wasn't even in the book)

cz2GHOe.gif
Jamie/Cersei wasn't even supposed to be rape in the show, the director and editor just fucked the scene up that badly.

And then decided to add another deliberate scene the next season on top of it. It's like they have some historical axe to grind with the way marriage/titles/alliances were constructed and so they want to make consumnating a political marriage = RAPE literal on screen.

mantidor

Promo for ep 7 discussion

Sansa seems to be crying while Ramsay is smiling. Is it possible that Stannis is snowed in and they've received that news?

She is watching something, so my guess is Ramsay is showing her something bad, like someone's corpse.

Also loved the wedding in the Godswood, the heart tree looked great, the atomsphere with the light falling snow and Sansa in her white dress. That was beautifully done.

Kuroyume

Banned
Wow... And like that show Ramsay went from goofball caricature to evil like the book Ramsay. Great episode, although sand snake actors are really fucking lame. Dorne is just crappy all around.

Ratrat

Ramsay was going to consummate the marriage, not sure why people are surprised at the scene happening. The whole thing is there are 4 episodes left, it is all about what the payoff here is.
People were mad this plot happened to begin with. The people defending suggested Sanas would have some kind agency this time. Like, because she made the choice and that she would either: Seduce and manipulate Ramsay like Marge, steel herself to serve a larger revenge or perhaps Ramsay would actually play nice because he was apparently smitten and she is oh so important to him.

As it is, she's going to get rescued by Theon or Brienne and be a widow who might have Ramsays baby. That is pretty terrible.

People were mad this plot happened to begin with. The people defending suggested Sanas would have some kind agency this time. Like, because she made the choice and that she would either: Seduce and manipulate Ramsay like Marge, steel herself to serve a larger revenge or perhaps Ramsay would actually play nice because he was apparently smitten and she is oh so important to him.

4 episodes left. This isn't the end of the plot right.

Speevy

Banned
As it is, she's going to get rescued by Theon or Brienne and be a widow who might have Ramsays baby. That is pretty terrible.

But she'll love it because you never love anyone the way you love your children.

Guys, every scene in this show has a straight line trajectory toward its beginning. Every word is foreshadowing. Everything means something.

suzu

Wow... And like that show Ramsay went from goofball caricature to evil like the book Ramsay. Great episode, although sand snake actors are really fucking lame. Dorne is just crappy all around.

Show Ramsay's always been pretty evil though, even ignoring all the other heinous shit he does in the books.

- Kills his own soldiers just to fuck with Theon.
- Hunts that one girl with his crazy gf and dogs.
- Flays people all willy-nilly (dem taxes) that even Roose calls him out for.
- And pretty much everything he's done to Theon so far.

So I'm confused.

She weds Ramsey, and as per "tradition" doesn't a bedding tend to happen anyway?

In my mind I thought the way the scene would have unfortunately played out was she agrees to bed him, but then the "shock" part was Theon is forced to join in, or the dogs get involved. Which of course, she wouldn't have been prepared for.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dorne stuff seemed kinda silly, especially the ease at which Jamie infiltrated the Water Gardens, as well as the dumbing down of Ellaria's plan, but overall I don't hate this episode as much as a lot of the internet seems to.

There's a lot of rape in the book, too. I was a little puzzled at the Jamie/Cersei scene, but this one was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom