• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unofficial Uncharted 4 60fps Patch Enables Uncapped Framerates at the Expense of Resolution

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Just don't look too closely

Uncharted-4.jpg

No speed up and slow down tricks, no AI enhancements, this is Uncharted 4 running at an uncapped framerate that, at times, hit’s a solid 60 frames-per-second (fps) at a cost of image quality.
Fair warning, you may want to apply some eyedrops when checking out these Uncharted 4 60fps patch’s images and video.

Similar to the recent unofficial Bloodborne 60fps patch, an unofficial method had been published by scene researcher and Modder, illusion0001 to give Uncharted 4 a boost in framerate.
How? Well by lowering the game’s resolution, not to 720P, but to 540P on the base PS4 console. Here’s a few shots to show the differences:

Uncharted-4-60fps-resolution-540p-scaled.jpg
Uncharted-4-60FPS-comparison-image-1-scaled.jpg

It actually looks a lot worse when it’s in motion, but you should be able to tell the differences.
There are also many graphical glitches, one of them seen above with the artifacts appearing during 540P and not in the standard resolution.

Uncharted-4-60fps-PS4-Answer.jpg

Last edited:

Allandor

Well, so much for the myth of framerate-limitations because of the low-end jaguar CPUs ;)

But it still looks good, except for some broken effects.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, so much for the myth of framerate-limitations because of the low-end jaguar CPUs ;)

But it still looks good, except for some broken effects.
Are you serious? They had to cut down resolution to 540p to get 60 fps. If the cpu wasn't a limitation then a simple 720p downgrade to resolution would've given them 60 fps.

Bizarre post. This literally proves the opposite.

SmokSmog

Are you serious? They had to cut down resolution to 540p to get 60 fps. If the cpu wasn't a limitation then a simple 720p downgrade to resolution would've given them 60 fps.

What ? Lol. You have everything backward, resolution has nothing to do with CPU. I'm supposing that they set it at 540P because it's exactly half pixels for both axis (25%) so it's easy to implement it without problems. Probably 720p doesn't work or it needs more modding which they are unable to do?
You can see this game is CPU bottlenecked, most time is below 60FPS with drops to high 30s while running at 1/4 Full HD pixels.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

What ? Lol. You have everything backward, resolution has nothing to do with CPU. I'm supposing that they set it at 540P because it's exactly half pixels for both axis (25%) so it's easy to implement it without problems. Probably 720p doesn't work or it needs more modding which they are unable to do?
You can see this game is CPU bottlenecked, most time is below 60FPS with drops to high 30s while running at 1/4 Full HD pixels.
The gpu does the heavy lifting when it comes to hitting higher resolutions. But its insane to say that the cpu has nothing to do with the resolution. Maybe not anymore because the current gen of cpus are so much better, but the jaguar cpus are older and this clearly proves they were a bottleneck.

On current gen PC CPUs, you will double your framerate by reducing your framerate by half. In this case, that would be 720p which is 900k pixels compared to the 2.1 million pixels of 1080p. If we aren't getting 60 fps at 720p that means that the cpu is the bottleneck.

We saw the same thing with the bloodborne patch. 1080p 60 fps was not possible with 2.23x the gpu power. He had to cut the resolution to 900p or 720p to get a locked 60 fps which points to the cpu being the bottleneck.

Allandor

???
if the CPU would be limiting so much, they wouldn't have to lower the resolution to a quarter. Resolution does not really affect the CPU (only minimal e.g. because some drawcalls etc are no longer necessary). Only if a GPU (or bandwidth) limitation is present, lowering resolution will increase fps. So I really don't see a CPU bottleneck there. Yes it might be hard to reach 60fps all the time, but in general the CPU is not bottlenecking anything here.

They decreased the resolution by 75% and it runs in the mid 40s in heavy scenes. The game is very much CPU limited.
Yes, some cases there are. But still nothing a bit more optimization couldn't handle. It is just, that the studio is very graphics focused, so they would never really release a 60-fps title without a newer generation. Even if that means that the CPU is idling arround.

Actually it's 550%
You can never decrease something more than 100% (if zero equals nothing). You can only increase something by more than 100%.

Last edited:
???
if the CPU would be limiting so much, they wouldn't have to lower the resolution to a quarter. Resolution does not really affect the CPU (only minimal e.g. because some drawcalls etc are no longer necessary). Only if a GPU (or bandwidth) limitation is present, lowering resolution will increase fps. So I really don't see a CPU bottleneck there. Yes it might be hard to reach 60fps all the time, but in general the CPU is not bottlenecking anything here.
The logic is very simple. If the game was GPU limited, dropping the resolution to a quarter should at least double the performance and the game should run at a rock solid 60 fps. It doesn't, which means it's CPU limited.

Skifi28

Makes you wonder why they can't do it officially. It's a text file, press the edit button. I'm sure they can muster the resources.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
???
You might wanna go back and do some research. You seem to have a backward understanding as to what CPU bottlenecking and GPU bottlenecking actually is. This "mod" very VERY clearly shows how much work the CPU is doing to make up for the GPU.

On current gen PC CPUs, you will double your framerate by reducing your framerate by half.
I think you mean reducing your resolution...but no...that's not accurate. Double the pixels means half the framerate *in theory*...but in practice it just doesn't work like that. Many buffers have fixed resolutions and stuff like alpha transparancies can become exponentially more expensive as the pixel count increases. Alternatively some buffers may render at a higher, fixed, resolution, then downscale, either for effect quality, or because it simply breaks at lower resolutions.

SlimySnake

I think you mean reducing your resolution...but no...that's not accurate. Double the pixels means half the framerate *in theory*...but in practice it just doesn't work like that. Many buffers have fixed resolutions and stuff like alpha transparancies can become exponentially more expensive as the pixel count increases. Alternatively some buffers may render at a higher, fixed, resolution, then downscale, either for effect quality, or because it simply breaks at lower resolutions.
Yes, thats what I meant. Cutting the resolution in half *should* get you 2x more framerate if the game isnt CPU bound.

It's pretty much what I've been doing for years on PC. Even a game like Metro Exodus which is using fancy Ray Traced GI can easily go from native 4k 30 fps to 1440p 60 fps. I bought a 120 fps screen last year and was able to play pretty much every game at 120 fps at 1440p as long as I was able to get a stable 60 fps at native 4k.

Now 1440p is only 3.6 million pixels compared to the 8.2 million pixels in native 4k resolutions so there is definitely some headroom here when you drop to 1440p.

Banned

yeah I think many don't understand that this is literally 0.25x of the resolution while it's not even close to being 2x the framerate in any demanding scene.

if the game was GPU bound it should run above 100fps in this resolution

Last edited:
Yes, thats what I meant. Cutting the resolution in half *should* get you 2x more framerate if the game isnt CPU bound.

It's pretty much what I've been doing for years on PC. Even a game like Metro Exodus which is using fancy Ray Traced GI can easily go from native 4k 30 fps to 1440p 60 fps. I bought a 120 fps screen last year and was able to play pretty much every game at 120 fps at 1440p as long as I was able to get a stable 60 fps at native 4k.

Now 1440p is only 3.6 million pixels compared to the 8.2 million pixels in native 4k resolutions so there is definitely some headroom here when you drop to 1440p.
You missed my point...even if CPU isn't a limiting factor that almost never happens. CPU has almost no impact on resolution, to the point that when you're heavily bottlenecked you can raise the resolution and see no performance dip whatsoever. To this day GTA4 is so CPU bottlenecked that it runs the same at 4K as it does at 1080p. That is a CPU bottleneck.

Allandor

You might wanna go back and do some research. You seem to have a backward understanding as to what CPU bottlenecking and GPU bottlenecking actually is. This "mod" very VERY clearly shows how much work the CPU is doing to make up for the GPU.
this mod shows, that when you remove the GPU and bandwidth limitation, obviously the CPU is limiting but can still reach 60fps. Thinking a bit "forward" to a PS4 Pro, that could mean that 50-60 fps should be possible with PS4 graphics settings.

Banned
this mod shows, that when you remove the GPU and bandwidth limitation, obviously the CPU is limiting but can still reach 60fps. Thinking a bit "forward" to a PS4 Pro, that could mean that 50-60 fps should be possible with PS4 graphics settings.

the CPU isn't much better in the PS4pro. you'd get maybe 5fps more on average.

YCoCg

So now that's Bloodborne AND Uncharted 4 that modders have got running at 60fps to prove the gameplay is fine?

Banned
so ~500Mhz is nothing? It is a ~1/3 faster than the PS4 CPU. Should be enough to get the framerate to almost 60 at all the time if the GPU is not limiting.

I play Apex Legends on both PS4 and Pro, and the framerate is maybe 3 to 5 fps higher on Pro in the same scenes.
and that game is also very CPU bound.

on Olympus there's a spot called Elysium, and on PS4 if you look towards a certain direction it drops down to 30 to 32 fps.
on pro this is basically 35 to 38

an overclock doesn't always result in the same percentage of additional performance

Last edited:

Allandor

I play Apex Legends on both PS4 and Pro, and the framerate is maybe 3 to 5 fps higher on Pro in the same scenes.
and that game is also very CPU bound.

an overclock doesn't always result in the same percentage of additional performance
it does, if everything scales with it. Only if you get "new" bottlenecks (or the logic doesn't scale well with fps, also happens), you have a problem.
E.g. Memory bandwidth can get a problem quite fast.
Well an optional open FPS cap would be the best way especially for future compatiblity (e.g. running with 60 on PS5).

Last edited:

Banned
it does, if everything scales with it. Only if you get "new" bottlenecks (or the logic doesn't scale well with fps, also happens), you have a problem.
E.g. Memory bandwidth can get a problem quite fast.
Well an optional open FPS cap would be the best way especially for future compatiblity (e.g. running with 60 on PS5).

well yeah, I always advocate for EVERY game to have an option to change the FPS lock from 30 to 60 or even 120 fps

if the engine/game logic has no issue running at higher framerates, there is absolutely no reason to not include such an option!

Hugare

ND's engine is VERY CPU hungry.

Thats why they couldnt do better than 1440p with any of their games on the Pro, and why the Pro wouldnt do better than 720p in this case

Cool experiment, but playing a game with this fidelity at 540p? Nah

YCoCg

Cool experiment, but playing a game with this fidelity at 540p? Nah
It's a shame there's currently not a more powerful PlayStation out that could handle running this game at 60fps after this person showed the game works fine at arbitrary frame rates.

First of all this will be lacking optimization, and second I’m sure ND really squeezes the cpu dry so that’s holding it back.

Here’s hoping there’s a ps5 patch. Then all 4 games will be 60fps!

Last edited:
Top Bottom