• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unpopular FG opinion: DnF Duel was great

People got turned off because it's too cutthroat and has like 2 or 3 absurdly broken characters(like a lot of games...). But it really is a great game if you take the time learn the game and its systems and embrace how unforgiving it is. There are lots of stuff characters can do which seem bullshit at first but it is satisfying when you figure out how to counter them.

Looks great with it's Xrd-esque art style. OST also feels great, definitely one of the most satisfying ones to listen to in a fighting game if not the most imo. And I like how concise the UI is rather than bloating it out with unnecessary stuff like a lot of other fighting games.

Really baffled me how much that game got shat on. One of the major complaints was "B-BUT 1 BUTTON specials" but no one says anything when SF6 does the same thing with it's "modern" control scheme. I think it might amass a cult classic type of following years down the line.

Last edited:
People got turned off because it's too cutthroat and has like 2 or 3 absurdly broken characters(like a lot of games...). But it really is a great game if you take the time learn the game and its systems and embrace how unforgiving it is. There are lots of stuff characters can do which seem bullshit at first but it is satisfying when you figure out how to counter them.

Looks great with it's Xrd-esque art style. OST also feels great, definitely one of the most satisfying ones to listen to in a fighting game if not the most imo. And I like how concise the UI is rather than bloating it out with unnecessary stuff like a lot of other fighting games.

Really baffled me how much that game got shat on. One of the major complaints was "B-BUT 1 BUTTON specials" but no one says anything when SF6 does the same thing with it's "modern" control scheme. I think it might amass a cult classic type of following years down the line.
Yea it was a pretty good game and it was gorgeous thanks to that Arcsys graphical look very different to the PS4 UE4 engine look SF6 has, I hope to God SF7 is PS6/Xbox Next exclusive and pushes tech because SF6 is more of an evolution of 5 graphically than a next gen revolution.

Yea it was a pretty good game and it was gorgeous thanks to that Arcsys graphical look very different to the PS4 UE4 engine look SF6 has, I hope to God SF7 is PS6/Xbox Next exclusive and pushes tech because SF6 is more of an evolution of 5 graphically than a next gen revolution.
Right, basically just SF5 with more detail.

I just want SF to go back to the more cartoony cell shaded art style it had with SF4. Realism looks ugly.

manfestival

I really loved my time playing DnF Duel. It was the first fighter I actually bothered to try seriously. Almost hit legend before I quit playing the game. Crusader was my main but not sure if I will bother playing the game again. The devs took too long to do anything with the game

I really loved my time playing DnF Duel. It was the first fighter I actually bothered to try seriously. Almost hit legend before I quit playing the game. Crusader was my main but not sure if I will bother playing the game again. The devs took too long to do anything with the game
Ghostblade was my main. Kind of frustrating not having a DP but I eventually pushed my way to Terranite in a month. Just proves that even without a DP, the "bullshit"(as people like to put it)in this game is perfectly manageable with enough training and experience.

And the devs should have added new characters after a few months at the most. It feels like they just gave up but then oddly enough they release a huge ass patch in December and announce a new character. I'm guessing Spectre will arrive on the 28th of this month as that is this games anniversary however. If not then I think they've just given up.

I think it’s interesting how the pro scene’s needs effect the success and longevity of fighting games that will never be played at that high a level by most folks. Fighting games for me are just for couch play with friends. DnF’s combination of high power level, beautiful presentation, and easy to pick up accessibility seems like a winner. Yet, I bought Strive based on reputation and can’t even roman cancel effectively because I’m a scrub.

Calverz

My unpopular opinion:
rki3vs7.jpg

Is better than most people give it credit and is completely underrated.

I think it’s interesting how the pro scene’s needs effect the success and longevity of fighting games that will never be played at that high a level by most folks. Fighting games for me are just for couch play with friends. DnF’s combination of high power level, beautiful presentation, and easy to pick up accessibility seems like a winner. Yet, I bought Strive based on reputation and can’t even roman cancel effectively because I’m a scrub.
I hate the FGC and it's influence on the popularity of fighting games.

They always act so fucking entitled and worship the pro players. If a pro player says X game is good or bad then everyone just treats it as gospel. People in the FGC even make up this genre called "Kusoge" which refers to "shit fun game" because they aren't confident enough to stand in their opinion when they find a game enjoyable because the 3L33T pro players told them it's bad so they play off their preferences as some guilty pleasure. Brainwashed idiots. It's a cult.

Last edited:
Top Bottom