• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unravel | Review Thread

Lucifon

Tried the EA Access trial and got bored pretty quickly. Game has fantastic presentation, but it's just a bit bland from an actual gameplay perspective.

M.Steiner

Quite a range of scores there but I liked what I played of it last week (via Origin Access) so I'll definitely get it at some point in the near future, maybe after Firewatch.

Henkka

Banned
I'm guessing high marks from people who think charm and visuals make up for average gameplay, lower marks from people who don't.

Mattenth

The gameplay is just odd. Limbo was the closest thing I could compare the gameplay to, but unlike Limbo, the "difficulty" is very erratic. Sometimes it's just trivially easy, while other times it's frustratingly difficult. In the later case though, the solutions are often "oh, doh, I'm such a dumbass" (doesn't make it less frustrating though).

RK128

The scores clearly are mixed, but more so between the 70's and 90's, which is fine with me :).

The game looks to be a charming puzzle platformer with strong production values but its story could be more clear and/or stronger.

Going to get this whenever I get a PS4 and its nice the game got some good reviews :).

Grover

Banned
the large range of reviews is really suprising

this didn't seem like the type of game that would be divisive

Anteater

uh those sound like good scores to me since they're mostly above average to good

divisive is when I see a bunch of people rating it below average with some high scores

mekes

Personally some of the things noted as negative in some of the lower scoring reviews are actually the design choices I am wanting to experience. Currently has a score of 81 on Opencritic, which is perhaps a few points higher than I would have expected. I'm buying, I'm in the mood for something a little different and this game looks to fit the bill.

Linkyn

Looking at the reviews, some 7s or 6s are not out of the ordinary, and for 15 pounds, you can't really go wrong. I'm assuming it's just digital for now?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
It seems like the game is really easy until you get to a part where background and foreground objects aren't differentiated well enough, and then it is frustrating.

So did the people who found it too easy not finish the game? Wouldn't surprise me at least...

Eh, it's probably just an honest mistake. We've already sent them an email.

True, but sadly people give too much power to metacritic for purchasing decisions and a mistake on their part could lead to less sales. Granted, I just detest Metacritic as a whole.

Think I might give this a go after I finish Firewatch.
Game always looked pretty amazing visually and the puzzles seem cool.

Still isn't an "indie" game. Smaller scope? Sure.

You don't know what you're talking about.
By your weird reasoning NMS is also not an indie game.

AHA-Lambda

Still isn't an "indie" game. Smaller scope? Sure.

This point gets brought up a lot and is frankly meaningless these days.

The same thing occurs in both music and film, where artists/filmmakers are signed as part of a label or even an "indie" subsidiary of a bigger brand (see Fox Searchlight).

This is nevertheless a low budget game from an independent team that has that undefinable "indie" spirit. By my book and most other people's that's indie enough.
There are hardly any games out there now really that are wholly self published.

flkraven

Not even half way through the first page and there is already a debate about how indie this game is or isn't. Good job.

Going to download it with EA access and give the first few levels a whirl. This game looks incredible and can't wait to try it after the decent review.

wouwie

Hmm... Slightly more varied review scores than i had hoped (but by no means a bad score on average) but it still feels like something i will enjoy a lot so i'm buying this day one.

Since like 5 of your quoted me, an indie game is a game developed by an independent developer with no backing by major publishers. If this is an indie game, Destiny, Ratchet and Clank, inFamous 1 & 2 (but not Second Son), and all Platinum games are also indie games. That list goes on and on and on. Generally if a developer has the backing of a publisher it's not an independently developed game. I mean it's not really negotiable.

DOWN

Banned
Independent studio doesn't mean they make indie games. In this case, its an indie dev making a game for/with a major publisher, so it isn't an indie game.

The reviews are settling around 81 on Meteoritic which means this is probably Day 1 for me

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Since like 5 of your quoted me, an indie game is a game developed by an independent developer with no backing by major publishers. If this is an indie game, Destiny, Ratchet and Clank, inFamous 1 & 2 (but not Second Son), and all Platinum games are also indie games. That list goes on and on and on. Generally if a developer has the backing of a publisher it's not an independently developed game. I mean it's not really negotiable.

Independent studio doesn't mean they make indie games. In this case, its an indie dev making a game for/with a major publisher, so it isn't an indie game.

The reviews are settling around 81 on Meteoritic which means this is probably Day 1 for me

I can see this as well. Indie studio/developer, but as soon as a publisher invests, it is no longer independent.

Majin Boo

Ok I have absolutely no idea what to think of the game, sure it's beautiful, but gameplay is king and it doesn't seem to be great in that regard. Will wait for more impressions...

Se_7_eN

That top comment on Destructoids 10/10 review is damn good.

ytirk.jpg

I think I will get this along with Firewatch tomorrow.

Top Bottom