• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 revealed! Real-Time Prototype Gameplay Demo Running On PS5

On chasing photorealism and saving developers time

In fact, according to Quentin Staes-Polet, General Manager, India and SEA, of Epic Games, Unreal Engine 5 is built very specifically to “chase” photorealistic graphics in games. Speaking in an interview with Indian Express, Staes-Polet said that not only does the new engine allow developers to save a lot of time while making their games, it also lets them come that much closer to “full reality simulation.”

“We are chasing photorealism with Unreal Engine 5,” Staes-Polet said. “The new engine will save a lot of time and at the same time, it gets us one step closer to full reality simulation.”

“With Unreal Engine 5, you can take 4K Cinema quality 3D assets and ingest them in the engine as it is and work with them,” he added. “So that’s like a massive change as you can save a lot of time and on top of it, it brings photorealistic gaming in the future.”

I'm usually against remasters and remakes, but I'd like to see Quake being remade as faithfully to the original as possible with Unreal Engine 5 using Nanite, photogrammetry, Lumen and ray-traced sound.

Everything else as intact as possible (even the animations!) but with modern graphics and realistic, three-dimensional sound.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm usually against remasters and remakes, but I'd like to see Quake being remade with Unreal Engine 5 using Nanite, photogrammetry, Lumen and ray-traced sound.

Everything else as intact as possible (even the animations!) but with modern graphics and realistic, three-dimensional sound.

I was thinking about it the other day, and UE5 has a good chance to be a very future proof engine - with the way it renders the scenes, whenever new consoles will show up and bump up the resolution, the engine will show more and more details - the damo already rendered 20M polygons with only 3,7M being actually visible (1440p), running it at 4K would show 8,3M polys, and 8K 16,3, and it already used 8K textures, so even at 16K when/if it arrives somewhere in the future in 20-30 years the games made today with that level of details would still look pretty sick. The question is however how much space did that short demo took , if it's hundreds of GB then we can forget about the artists using models straight from 3D modeling software, without cutting down their complexity, and/or using lower resolution textures, which will show its age once newer generation appears.

I have no doubts PS5 has supperior I/O, all I'm saying is we really cant base our conclusions in regards to XSX I/O speed based on BC games load times.

And BTW. level times aside MS also showcased how quick they could switch between different suspended games.

Just few seconds for loading entire game.

6 seconds to resume from suspended state, 11 seconds to load a standard XB1 game save is already too much (that's what MS actually showed to us). With PS5 Sony aim for virtually no loading times (<1 sec), and they showed us that with Spiderman.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
6 seconds to resume from suspended state, 11 seconds to load a standard XB1 game save is already too much (that's what MS actually showed to us). With PS5 Sony aim for virtually no loading times (<1 sec), and they showed us that with Spiderman.
Standard XB1 game is the key word. Games optimized for XSX hardware will be build with MS storage API and XSX hardware decompression in mind (and hardware decomression in XSX supports only BCpack format). I expect these native XSX games will load even faster than suspended BC games, not more than 3 seconds because that's how much time will take to fill 13.5 GB with 4.8 GB/s transfer.

Last edited:
Standard XB1 game is the key word. Games optimized for XSX hardware will be build with MS storage API and XSX hardware decompression in mind (and hardware decomression in XSX supports only BCpack format). I expect these native XSX games will load even faster than suspended BC games, not more than 3 seconds because that's how much time will take to fill 13.5 GB with 4.8 GB/s transfer.
XSX games will be about twice bigger is size too. So the compression will be very needed.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

Yup, games will have to be designed to stream just a first chunk of the level that is required to start playing the game, instead of loading the entire levels before you can play, like it is with current-gen/BC titles. in the same way current-gen downloads allow us to start playing the games with only a part of the entire game downloaded, as oppose to previous generation where entire games had to be downloaded and installed before we could play them.

pawel86ck

Banned
XSX games will be about twice bigger is size too. So the compression will be very needed.
Games will be bigger, but the amount of available memory will be always limited to 13.5 GB, and it takes just 3 seconds to fill entire 13.5 GB with 4.8 GB transfer speed (and MS say 4.8 GB speed is sustained transfer, but it can go up to 6 GB/s, so XSX games should take even less to load).

Tripolygon

Banned
So I found something interesting pertaining PS4 documentation and future research from Sony that relates to PSSL (playstation shader language) and what we saw in Unreal Engine 5 demo. Make of it what you will.
MPNzjqNnjvxC.jpg

Last edited:

vpance

Moore’s Law guys talking UE5. Probably something interesting in there.

Edit: UE5 talk starts at 1hr 6m

Last edited:
There's some interesting things he mentioned from dev sources. Comparisons to PC SSDs and the relationship between Epic and Sony regarding the demo.

Quote from that segment that caught my attention was a dev telling him that basically, when using UE5, faster storage could translate directly to "better performance," which I inferred as FPS increases?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Quote from that segment that caught my attention was a dev telling him that basically, when using UE5, faster storage could translate directly to "better performance," which I inferred as FPS increases?
Who knows. Personally, faster load times or faster loading high res textures would also fall under my broad linguistic umbrella of "better performance", so I dunno. Best not to extrapolate out too specific meanings from generalized statements.

I don't think this is the point, nor does it have the same level of details.

Now we can argue that the extra details are for all intents and purposes useless, the idea is that you can achieve that level of quality on hardware that would not normally allow for it, they also demoed their new real-time lighting engine, animation system. If all you saw were the rocks in a cave obviously this is not very impressive, I'm fairly sure that if you make it static enough the base PS4 could do something that looks close enough.

UE5 can enable devs to be creative and take risks

"We're definitely biased, as we have been a partner/licensee with Epic since 2010 and have published almost all our games with their tech," Carlos Bordeu, one of three co-founders of studio ACE Team, says, "but I have to say that the demo they presented gave me a similar feeling to when they started showcasing Unreal Engine 3 for the first time. It looked like a huge leap in terms of graphics, and I feel Lumen (and more importantly Nanite) is one of the few true demonstrations of what the next gen will bring in technology.

"We've been creating normal maps from high resolution models to 'fake' additional geometric detail since 2007 at the studio," he continues, "and the thought of just importing high resolution meshes directly into the game almost feels surreal. This brings back memories of the tech demos showcasing Sparse Voxel Octree of many years back (when it seemed that it could be the way to get infinite geometric detail...), but that never came to be the standard solution. It is quite impressive to actually see a new technology that works on an upcoming console and that looks like it could become a standard for the upcoming generations."

Last edited:

PC Gamer talking about how the UE5 demo being rewritten for PS5, how next-gen console SSDs can change PC gaming for the better, using UE5 demo on PS5 as basis

As Tyler wrote about a few weeks ago, fast SSD storage is the key to super detailed scenes showcased in a recent UE5 demo. He talked to Epic CEO Tim Sweeney, who said "on a high-end PC with an SSD," and especially one outfitted with an NVMe interface (which shuttles data through the PCIe bus), we can expect "awesome performance" from games based on UE5. Naturally, a fast CPU and GPU will also be needed, or even the speediest SSD won't be of much help. It would be like putting tires built for racing on a Ford Pinto.

SSDs have been available for the PC for several years now. As things currently stand, however, gaming performance is roughly the same on an NVMe SSD as it is on a comparatively slow (but still fast) SATA SSD.

That means there is untapped potential. The fastest SATA SSDs hover around 550-580MB/s for sequential reads and writes, whereas NVMe SSDs are typically at least four or five times faster, and sometimes much more. And in the case of NVMe SSDs that leverage PCIe 4.0 (only available on AMD's X570 and B550 chipsets at the moment), sequential reads and writes can hit a whopping 5,000MB/s, with even faster models on the horizon.

Bear in mind that there is more to be gained than just load times. This is where game optimizations for next-gen consoles come into play. Sony sort of stuck its neck out in the public eye by putting so much emphasis on the PS5's SSD performance, considering SSDs have been around for years. But if it does fundamentally change how game engines and games are coded, all that untapped speed on PC SSDs could be realized in ways that it just hasn't been up to this point.

sendit

PC Gamer talking about how the UE5 demo being rewritten for PS5, how next-gen console SSDs can change PC gaming for the better, using UE5 demo on PS5 as basis

Really good read. Like I've been saying, continuously adding more ram is a horrible/costly solution to memory constraints for gaming applications. I'm pretty excited to see how developers finally optimize for SSDs.

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
So are there any developers out there using UE5 right now or does everyone and I mean everyone, besides those working at epic games, have to wait til next year to get their hands on it? So does this mean we're gonna be waiting quite a while before we see games who have been built solely using UE5?

UE5 tech talk finally coming. July 14, 08:00 EDT.

08:00 - 08:45 EDT

Unreal Engine for Next-Gen Games

In this presentation, Nick Penwarden, VP of Engineering, and Marcus Wassmer, Engineering Director, cover the features in Unreal Engine that will be crucial to the success of developing the next generation of games, and reveal innovative features being developed that will revolutionize game development.

Then, Jerome Platteaux, Art Director, provides an in-depth look at how Epic created the “Lumen in the Land of Nanite” UE5 demo.

PaintTinJr

This shows the level of desperation to make out like UE5 demo on PS5 was no big deal.

That looks significantly worse and will be consuming an entire top tier GPU(+£1,000) to look inferior.

The demo on PS5 is only needing the async compute and IO complex to render the static background and light it,, leaving most of the 10TF GPU fixed path hardware for foreground animated assets still to add to the scene.

If anything this helps show how big a difference UE5's nanite/lumen tech on capable hardware makes.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This shows the level of desperation to make out like UE5 demo on PS5 was no big deal.

That looks significantly worse and will be consuming an entire top tier GPU(+£1,000) to look inferior.

The demo on PS5 is only needing the async compute and IO complex to render the static background and light it,, leaving most of the 10TF GPU fixed path hardware for foreground animated assets still to add to the scene.

If anything this helps show how big a difference UE5's nanite/lumen tech on capable hardware makes.

Well, seems to be the best looking game/demo running in real-time on any gaming device to date. The future of PS5 is lit! :messenger_winking_tongue: :messenger_fire:

Last edited:

iJudged

Banned
i didn't read any of the comments, so just 2 my cents, while impressive indeed, this is all due to this amazing engine, it is possible even on the lesser of hardware, not to take anything away from PS5.

Top Bottom