• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 revealed! Real-Time Prototype Gameplay Demo Running On PS5

That looks visually really good. Texture work and lighting in particular was absolutely amazing. Level of detail in the photogrammy is very high and crisp as well.

I dunno if you can really judge the "gameplay" as there wasn't much to do there (it's a demo after all). Looks like it would be fun enough to play. The actual gameplay doesn't look "next-gen", just a prettier version of stuff we have currently, but the same could be said for the games on that Inside Xbox stream as well. Doesn't mean they can't be fun games. (Also I think it's worth asking what people even consider "next-gen" gameplay anyhow, because it's kind of built off the false premise that something needs to be new to be good. That simply isn't true).

Hopefully this should put to rest any concern-trolling regarding PS5 visual capabilities; it's going to be a beast of a performer with the hardware packed inside!

Oh and also: Sorry Geoff, your shit got spoiled son xD

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Ok now this is next gen

Kusarigama

meh. this is just a tech demo, not gameplay.

For reference:

this is a similar epic games unreal engine tech demo, but for unreal engine 3:

platform: xbox 360 and ps3

and now compare this demo to real gameplay from PS3/xbox 360 unreal engine games lol

That Samaritan demo was running on PC with top end nVidia cards in SLI. Today's demo is running on PS5 in real time. Understand the difference.

Sota4077

Are they not allowed to say “Xbox” in this interview? They seem to be avoiding saying anything but PS5.

That is how marketing deals work. This deal was struck, very smartly might I add, to bury the stupid ass narrative that 9.5 or 10.2 TF is a weak console I would bet. They don't even have to do anything. They just tell Epic to build a tech demo on their console and let the visuals speak for themselves.

In the tech demo, it was very limited what that lara craft looking character was doing, Its great for a graphical showcase, but when you are playing an actual game you gotta kill enemies, avoid enemies, dodge enemies etc. Also was the demo 30 fps or 60? It looked 30 fps.

Still looks beautiful and a taste to what is possible. Will be a proud owner of PS5.

Droxcy

A basic small tech demo with limited assets and not too much to render. Still looks amazing and UE/Quixel will deliver amazing landscapes next year.

meh. this is just a tech demo, not gameplay.

For reference:

this is a similar epic games unreal engine tech demo, but for unreal engine 3:

platform: xbox 360 and ps3

and now compare this demo to real gameplay from PS3/xbox 360 unreal engine games lol

It's good to keep expectations in check, but did Epic ever claim that demo was running on an Xbox 360 or PS3, or was it a demo running on PC and promoting a game engine that would be used in Xbox 360 and PS3 games? There would be a big difference there, because today's demo actually claims that it's running on PS5.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Looks good but I don't see what the hoopla is all about. First, it's a game engine demo which means that if it was built for Series X, it would have looked even better. Second, it's not an actual game as tech demos never are. Third, it was running at 30FPS (SMH) and no Ray Tracing whatsoever.

People overhype the most meaningless shit I have ever seen. If that shit was Native 4K/60FPS locked with Ray Tracing, then I would be impressed but nope, same shit as the PS4 demos 7 years ago. But whatever. LMAO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom