• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament 3 - PS3 exclusive

PleoMax

Banned
Didn't oxm just had a preview like last month or something? Or was it other magazine?

And they said it looked and run better than GOW.

And preventing a game from coming to a console because of mods....wow...that's just stupid.

Metalmurphy said:
This is something i really doubt but its believable. PS3 is the lead console, and Mark Reign hates all the Sony hate going on :lol

Wow, where does this shit come from? 2 versions of the game were shown thus far. Ps3 wasn't one of them

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Mojovonio said:
wtf

this game just has to be a joke.

First, it was exclusive to the PS3, then it was coming out for the 360, then the PS3 was the lead platform, then the 360 was the lead platform, then it was coming out to the 360 first, then it was supposed to be out in Sept with Halo 3, now its exclusive for the ps3 again.

WTF

PC game development style, on your console for maximum WT***e.

Seriously, thats how this crap has been happening for the past decade on PCs.

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
Metalmurphy said:
This is something i really doubt but its believable. PS3 is the lead console, and Mark Reign hates all the Sony hate going on :lol

According to the OXBM article the xbox 360 version is the lead console version.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
MonkeyLicker said:

maybe the 360 version's lead console is the 360

and the ps3 version's lead console is the ps3

Madman

gofreak said:
Asides from a mention seemingly eons ago from someone at SCEA that it'd be a H2 07 title, pretty much everything else seems to point at 08 obviously.
Peter Dille and Threespeech have called this game a 07 title. What evidence is there that says it's 08?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
davepoobond said:
maybe the 360 version's lead console is the 360

and the ps3 version's lead console is the ps3
and OXM isn't necessarily the foremost bastion of journalistic accuracy or integrity.

smurfx

get some go again
this is why competition is good for the marketplace. if sony allows users to make maps and whatever for ut3 then microsoft is going to be forced to do the same as well and not charge for map packs that epic releases for free on the ps3 or pc. there is alot of gamers out there that want nothing more than to see sony fail miserably but that would only hurt the videogame business since microsoft would essentially have a monopoly on next gen games and would be allowed to do whatever they wanted.

PleoMax said:
Didn't oxm just had a preview like last month or something? Or was it other magazine?

And they said it looked and run better than GOW.

And preventing a game from coming to a console because of mods....wow...that's just stupid.

Stupid by what measure? I've spent far more hours playing user created UT2K4 maps than I have playing any of the pack in maps and mods have extended the life of the game quite a bit, so for me there's a good deal of value in having access to user created content. And Epic knows how important this content is to the UT experience.

KTallguy

Banned
I wonder how PS3 modding environment is going to work. Maybe PC mods that are polished and bug tested enough can move over to PS3 for a price (price part kind of sucks, but the two environments are too different).

Another Note:

PLEASE PLEASE Mouse/Keyboard support. PLEASE LET ME PLAY WITH A MOUSE!!

Playing UT with a controller is kind of like playing tennis in galoshes while chewing two sticks of Big Red gum.

MonkeyLicker said:

The article quotes I've seen seem to completely ignore the PS3 version.

PleoMax said:
Wow, where does this shit come from? 2 versions of the game were shown thus far. Ps3 wasn't one of them

Huh? The PS3 version was playable at a recent Sony event.

Mojovonio

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
The article quotes I've seen seem to completely ignore the PS3 version.

As I stated earlier, I'm not sure if it was in OXM or not, someone said that the 360 was the bar for the graphical performance.

I have no idea what that means.

So much confusion with this game.

makes sense, especially if the whole mods-on-consoles thing is true.

I was talking to one developer with a big game that's coming out this fall and they said "we're gonna put it out on ps3 first instead of xbox360 because they don't support the ability for users to put mods up" and that's a huge mistake on microsoft's part.
ut3, anyone?

Mojovonio said:
As I stated earlier, I'm not sure if it was in OXM or not, someone said that the 360 was the bar for the graphical performance.

That's the article I'm talking about. And the quotes I've seen talked exclusively about the 360 version in relation to the PS3 version, which was completely ignored.

MonkeyLicker

kaching said:
Hey, did you hear that PSN isn't going to be free anymore?!? That's a quote from Sony themselves!
So how exactly does that prove the PS3 version is the lead?

MonkeyLicker

Mojovonio said:

Yeah, that was in the OXBM article.

Barnolde

Banned
KTallguy said:
I wonder how PS3 modding environment is going to work. Maybe PC mods that are polished and bug tested enough can move over to PS3 for a price (price part kind of sucks, but the two environments are too different).

Another Note:

PLEASE PLEASE Mouse/Keyboard support. PLEASE LET ME PLAY WITH A MOUSE!!

Playing UT with a controller is kind of like playing tennis in galoshes while chewing two sticks of Big Red gum.

PS3 version is confirmed to have mouse/keyboard support :)
http://kotaku.com/gaming/gamespy/ps3-ut3-supports-keyboard-mouse-sixaxis-243125.php

GrayFoxPL

cyberheater said:
I just don't believe this story.

I can't believe Sony would pay for this and i'm sure I read somewhere else that the PS3 version was coming out after the 360.

This thread will not end well...

50 mirrion dorars...

Berieve.

Busty

Banned
The think one of the most plausible explanations (providing of course this is true) for Unreal3 being a timed console exclusive to the PS3 is to show that the Unreal3 Engine is still very viable on the PS3 as a middleware tool.

Unreal3 Engine has been getting a kicking from all corners, with even Mark Rein admitting that some licence holders had expressed a concern (or words to that effect, IIRC) for using Unreal3 for PS3 and multi format development.

By making Unreal3 a timed exlcusive they get the double whammy of missing Halo3 and also showing the consumer and the development world that they can get Unreal3 running at a 100% on the PS3. What better platform to have the engine standing (technically speaking) side by side to the 360 and PC versions than the game that bares it's name.

I just don't for one second believe that Sony would pay a brown penny for this as an exclusive. But with the above in mind and the fact that Sony are trying to push Gamer 3.0 with user created content, having Unreal3 as a timed exclusive could an ideal marriage of convienence for both.......

....unless of course it's not true. Then it's bid-ness as usual.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
MonkeyLicker said:
So how exactly does that prove the PS3 version is the lead?
It wasn't meant to. But "quote from someone at Epic" doesn't say anything about how OXM may have messed with context.

Raistlin

a Master Ninja said:
Geoff Keighley basically confirmed this last week. According to him it is because Sony is allowing user created mods, and Microsoft thinks it could be used to undermine their Xbox Live service. He says PC and PS3 versions release at the same time, and the 360 is coming sometime later after they sort out some issues.

0_0

So the PS3 version has keyboard/mouse support AND modding?!!?

:lol Good job MS

MonkeyLicker

kaching said:
It wasn't meant to. But "quote from someone at Epic" doesn't say anything about how OXM may have messed with context.

If what they're saying is true then I'm all for it. If this makes MS open live to user created content then I'm all for the PS3 exclusive. I would personally tie Bill Gates down and beat him with a rake if it meant opening LIVE and fixing their hardware defects.

HomShaBom said:
Floor manager strikes again?

:lol I laugh a little bit harder every time I think about that.

Between floor managers and old retailers...will there even be a point in the real E3 this year? I mean, we're already getting honest, credible news from these noteworthy sources!

KTallguy

Banned
Barnolde said:

OMG YES!

That means I don't have to upgrade my PC!!!! Wowsome!!

Seriously, if more devs do this (Haze, Killzone 2, etc.), I will be one happy camper. I love shooters but I seriously can't play well with the controller. I've been playing these games on a PC since the Wolf 3D days!

I will be overjoyed to buy a bluetooth keyboard/mouse, sit on my couch with a small table, and play these games to death.

Onix said:
0_0

So the PS3 version has keyboard/mouse support AND modding?!!?

:lol Good job MS
Bout the only thing I can think of is Epic doesn't like Core systems without Hard Drives.

That's the only reason why PC/PS3 get the special treatment since they come with a HDD intact.

MS does have a slight issue though since the "no" hard drive apparently is going to be a pressure point.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Madman said:
Peter Dille and Threespeech have called this game a 07 title. What evidence is there that says it's 08?

Well, I don't think Guerilla has committed to a date. The fact that we haven't seen it at all yet, and we're mid-way through the year. And that Sony's release schedule is pretty packed as it as it is for the rest of the year.

Threespeech isn't necessarily 'official' depending on who's doing the writing. The Dille comment is fairly old as this stage.

I'd be very surprised if KZ was not a 08 title.

VictimOfGrief said:
Bout the only thing I can think of is Epic doesn't like Core systems without Hard Drives.

That's the only reason why PC/PS3 get the special treatment since they come with a HDD intact.

MS does have a slight issue though since the "no" hard drive apparently is going to be a pressure point.

You mean the only reason other than the closed nature of Microsoft's online business model, yeah?

KTallguy said:
OMG YES!

That means I don't have to upgrade my PC!!!! Wowsome!!

Seriously, if more devs do this (Haze, Killzone 2, etc.), I will be one happy camper. I love shooters but I seriously can't play well with the controller. I've been playing these games on a PC since the Wolf 3D days!

I will be overjoyed to buy a bluetooth keyboard/mouse, sit on my couch with a small table, and play these games to death.

Everything would be gravy if that damned Splitfish FragFX would make it out already. Looks like a godsend for those of us who like our FPS, enjoy our consoles, but aren't too big on FPS with traditional console controllers.

KingJ2002

Chinner said:
It is the net indeed. The story actually originated from the Sony Protection Group forums.

Mark Rein commented on it anyway
post 1

He also apparantly sent this letter to the site

Anyway back on topic. Does anyone know how much control the level designer and mod stuff will give to the user before having to mess around with code and so on?

Raistlin

VictimOfGrief said:

Based on the OP, the lack of modding is apparently MS's decision (fears of Live issues w/ hacking, etc) ...

... and no keyboard/mouse has always been MS's position.

Barnolde

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
You mean the only reason other than the closed nature of Microsoft's online business model, yeah?

Everything would be gravy if that damned Splitfish FragFX would make it out already. Looks like a godsend for those of us who like our FPS, enjoy our consoles, but aren't too big on FPS with traditional console controllers.

Infinity Ward also isn't a fan of closed services:
IGN: You mentioned earlier that you actively rejected Microsofts Live Anywhere strategy. How the hell did they take that? Were they edgy about it?

Infinity Ward: We said no and they didn't call back.

IGN: (laughs) So what were the discussions like?

Infinity Ward: Our rep left us a message saying 'hey, want to talk to you about this Live Anywhere, it's big, it's cool' and I thought, well yeah, if you're playing online poker, but who wants to be playing an RTS on a console and having some guy on a PC clicking and dragging all of his troops, attacking your base while you're sitting there with your thumb sticks. So I think for FPSs and RTSs, no way, but for y'know, card games or Tetris or something like that.

There are games I think it is cool for, but there are others I don't think there is a point. So they just didn't respond.

IGN: That was it huh?

Infinity Ward: Yeah, we just said no way.

IGN: Do you get the vibe that they're not pushing as hard for that kind of feature these days?

Infinity Ward: No, just that they wouldn't apply the same pressure on us as they would other developers.

PleoMax said:

Are you insane? The first time we saw UT2007/UT3 it was a tech demo on a PS3 hardware at E3 2005 (or 2006 not sure now). Then there was a playable demo at GDC 06 with no bots but there was the shock rifle and some barrels to shoot to test out the physics. And again at GDC07 a fully playable version:
http://ps3.gamespy.com/playstation-3/unreal-tournament-2007/771700p1.html

Where does YOUR shit come from? I never seen any reports on a 360 version being shown.

hkhawk

Banned
Busty said:
The think one of the most plausible explanations (providing of course this is true) for Unreal3 being a timed console exclusive to the PS3 is to show that the Unreal3 Engine is still very viable on the PS3 as a middleware tool.

Unreal3 Engine has been getting a kicking from all corners, with even Mark Rein admitting that some licence holders had expressed a concern (or words to that effect, IIRC) for using Unreal3 for PS3 and multi format development.

By making Unreal3 a timed exlcusive they get the double whammy of missing Halo3 and also showing the consumer and the development world that they can get Unreal3 running at a 100% on the PS3. What better platform to have the engine standing (technically speaking) side by side to the 360 and PC versions than the game that bares it's name.

I just don't for one second believe that Sony would pay a brown penny for this as an exclusive. But with the above in mind and the fact that Sony are trying to push Gamer 3.0 with user created content, having Unreal3 as a timed exclusive could an ideal marriage of convienence for both.......

....unless of course it's not true. Then it's bid-ness as usual.

That makes a lot of sense. I agree with what you are saying. I think it makes good business sense for Epic to follow such a strategy. Devs already know that UE3 looks awesome on the 360 but haven't really seen a complete game using the engine on PS3 yet. The PS3 might get a timed exclusive with this game because Epic is diverting resources to the console in order to show off what they can do on the PS3 as soon as possible. This benefits Epic financially so I doubt Sony will have to pay anything for this. Epic can also try to loosen MS's restrictions on DLC while at it. This makes a lot of sense.

Top Bottom