• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament 4 Pre-Alpha builds -> You can play and test it for free.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
Game feels amazing. Glad the movespeed is faster than UT2004/UT3 which both had much slower runspeed than UT99. Dodge roll is interesting, I like it because it lets you have an extra movement ability that doesn't break weapon and map balance like dodge jump does.

I know UT3 weapons are placeholders for know, but I wouldn't be surprised if weapon balance ends up being more like UT3. It had the best weapon balance in the series, and the faster runspeed compliments it better.

A tip: you can lift dodge. Dodge off a lift at the apex of the lift for a huge boost!

I came close, but I can't best Fatal1ty :(
YbsLw1P.png

So far I like it. I guess they only have FFA right now?

Also, the maps felt small for the amount of players and movement felt a tad slower than I would like. Also feels awkward double tapping movement to dodge. I didn't look into options except for sensitivity though.

I came close, but I can't best Fatal1ty :(

I would assume that is a fake tbh lol

Lucius86

Banned
Bit busy with work for me to try this out but glad to see some of the original UT99 movement speed is back, from the reports you guys are saying.

I still don't like the scaling though - my biggest bug-bear with the UT series since 2003. Player characters still look small from the screenshots, like you are shooting just tiny pixels even at medium distance fighting areas. This was not the case in UT99.

Pfhunkie

Can't believe I just played Unreal Tournament 4 against Fatal1ty and caused him to rage a few times at me. If I could have told myself this would happen a year ago, I'd never believe it. Thank you, Epic <3 Shaping up nicely.

Can't believe I just played Unreal Tournament 4 against Fatal1ty and caused him to rage a few times at me. If I could have told myself this would happen a year ago, I'd never believe it. Thank you, Epic <3 Shaping up nicely.

You really should leave me alone when I'm up there with my sniper lol. Ruining my fun.

Alfredo

Needs double jump, higher jumps plus very slightly lower gravity, dodge+jump combo allowance, fast movement in general, and more responsive weapons.

I do not currently have the ability to play these early builds, but yes to all this. Dodge-jumps need to be in the game... loved doing that stuff in UT2004.

Mechazawa

ibuk5D4qR65lqU.gif

I hereby retire from Unreal Tournament because there's only one way to go now, and it ain't up.

This is crazy polished given that state it's in. I mean, yeah, they had a large foundation to work off of and they're a Tencent company, but still.

Techies

Kinda says something that the impact hammer is by far the most powerful weapon :p I got a rampage just running around in a circle in a part of one level. Does that make me a bad person? no. It doesn't. :)

Or maybe it's just not affected by lag as much (feels so strange playing a game without prediction).

Install this.

That's because it's not really organized matches atm and the player counts exceed the rec size of the map. For instance you will have a hard time getting in front using the impact only vs competent players on Deck.

And yes lag, the net code isn't there yet with instant hit weapons like enforcer and sniper so keep missing especially with my latency.
This is one one thing I'm hoping for, better netcode that makes the aim consistent, and allows you to play even when at 200.

Teppic

I gave it a try. And as expected completely unplayable on my computer :p At least is was fun to watch the Fatal1ty stream.

ibuk5D4qR65lqU.gif

I hereby retire from Unreal Tournament because there's only one way to go now, and it ain't up.

This is crazy polished given that state it's in. I mean, yeah, they had a large foundation to work off of and they're a Tencent company, but still.

Haha awesome gif. Love that flak cannon.

PnCIa

Looks slower than i expected. I always get the feeling that they are hesitating to make it faster because then it would be more like Quake. And i really do not see the problem there, Quake 3 is still the premiere arena shooter for a reason.

Dicer

Banned
Looks slower than i expected. I always get the feeling that they are hesitating to make it faster because then it would be more like Quake. And i really do not see the problem there, Quake 3 is still the premiere arena shooter for a reason.

Play it, it ain't slow...

PnCIa

Play it, it ain't slow...
Slow compared to other games, no definitely not.
But the slower movement speed compared to Quake always was something that bothered me since they are both in the same category for me. Its a personal preference of mine though, and Epic sure has their own plans.

Top Bottom