• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreleased N64 Rev Limit found !

Lutherian

I love when things like that happens : found the cartdrige of an unreleased game.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/unreleased-nintendo-64-game-rev-limit-discovered.html

More infos on the Twitter account of the actual owner of the game !

https://twitter.com/RetroGameTV/

CqYzjwkVIAMsC1n.jpg

CqYzWmNUsAEtzcA.jpg

CqYzsMHVYAIyH0e.jpg

Like RetroCollect says in their article, Rev Limit was cancelled in 1998 but this screen shows 1999. Quite interresting :).

Lutherian

Sorry guys, now there's pics from the Twitter account of ‏@RetroGameTV, the owner of the cartdrige :). He contacted Unseen64 and might upload some videos of the game !

joedan

I remember it being one of the first N64 games announced to be released. It was in old issues of Nintendo Power.

Piichan

Banned
Hard to judge this game with so few gameplay screens, but I have a soft spot for N64 racers. Probably not a very good game, but I really liked MRC on the N64 back in the day.

well that's quite interesting.

Always liked Seta, they could put together a solid side-scroller back in the day. I don't think the 3D era suited them all that well, and heck, racing games were one of the few genres that were crowded on the N64, this probably wouldn't have worked out great even if it had come out.

but all the same, its great that this is finally getting some exposure, and that a company with a good history gets a little new recognition. I wonder who even owns their library anymore? They didn't really do license games, so in theory they could get re-release or virtual console stuff going again. People need to know how great Nosferatu was.

Zee-Row

Banned
EGM had an N64 buyers guide at its launch and I remember seeing this game and wanting it. I didn't even know it didn't get released I simply forgot about it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Wow, I had no idea it ever got further than the short clip / screens. I was really excited about this back in the day, as it was one of the few sharp and mature looking N64 games

mingo

I really wanted this game. All my pals were PS fans and had Ridge Racer. Was gutted it never came out.

That looks great its such a shame it never came out.

Also i wish they selected the car view, i wanted to see what the car looked like during the race

Were the dev units more powerful? That draw distance isn't bad and it doesn't run like garbage.

Looking at World Driver Championship or Roadsters 64 or Rush 2049 i don't see what's so impressive here as to assume that a stock N64 can't run it.

That said, i hope the Rev Limit rom is dumped at some point.

CamHostage

Looks sharp and fast for an N64 racing game. I remember being wowwed by the screens and looking forward to this game back in the day. Some harsh glitches in that build, and the driving doesn't look like they ever got it to a worthwhile state of play (the viewpoint and the turning radius look very artificial from the clip released; it's all in-car so I don't have a total sense of its driving control but it looks off from what I see.) No matter what though, great find and rescue!!

CamHostage

Can you turn on the headlamps? Please tell me you can turn on the headlamps! All I wanted in 1997 back when this game was still a thing was for car games that I could turn on the headlamps...

revli7-84149.jpg

georly

Am I mistaken in thinking this looks impressive as hell for n64? Is this because dev units were more powerful?
Why is he wearing white gloves in the video?

so he doesn't get his stinkin fingerprints on a collector's item.

Literally the white glove treatment in the video lol.

I was just reading an old NP the other day that mentioned this. The game would've made a very welcome addition to a pretty thick lineup of good N64 racing games.

pulsemyne

Am I mistaken in thinking this looks impressive as hell for n64? Is this because dev units were more powerful?

so he doesn't get his stinkin fingerprints on a collector's item.

It's a dev unit but not really what you think. Most n64 development took place on SGI indy workstations as well as PC's and a special card had to be installed to talk to the n64. The N64's used were just vanilla n64's with a some minor alterations so a ribbon cable could attach to the special card. You can actually do this to any N64. It's just a couple of wires that are soldered in. this is a guide to make such an n64. http://level42.ca/projects/ultra64/kmc64-howto/
The Dev carts were huge though. You could even have a multi cart flash writing system.
You can see the development bits and bobs here http://level42.ca/projects/nintendo-64-development/

Lutherian

Seems really nice for a prototype, with smooth framerate. I'm so glad the proto was found and got finally some footage, so many years after we discovered Rev Limit back in 1996 !

This didn't look too bad, but to be fair, I think that World Driver Championship filled this void. Really good racing title with nice cars and good tracks.

But we all know that Beetle Adventure Racing was the best car game on the N64!

Top Bottom