• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreleased "Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans" leaked

I remember people being mad when this was canceled. I've seen it on many most wanted unreleased games list, but amazingly it has been leaked out. I don't want to post a link if it is trouble. I have blurry but fond memories of Warcraft 2 and 3, might be fun to check out.

It was a point and click Adventure(?) style game that was canceled long ago.

Wn65Fn5.jpg

Iqryvav.jpg

Edit: My bad, title should say leaked instead of released.

Wow. I remember my uncle first telling me about this game when it was first announced years ago. Never thought I'd finally be able to play it once I heard it was cancelled.

//ARCANUM

yeah... leaked does not = released. :/

that said, i've always wanted to play it and would love to some day.

Is it for real this time? A cursory search reveals it supposedly "leaked" back in 2013, but it turned out to be an April Fools hoax made by an abandonware site.

Turns out the Mediafire link still works for the "2 CDs put together" version, but the original version with the two full CDs and the beta was taken down. That's unfortunate.

Missed this leaking, pretty cool. I remember the ads from magazines in the 90's now, but totally forgot about this one existing.

I saw some Russian guy play through most of the game like 5 years ago on YouTube, awesome I might finally get the chance to play it myself.

Having seen what I saw, I'm glad... Poor Voljin in this game... And hookah death wing...

jrcbandit

Why didn't they just release the game at a discounted price of $20-30? Then people would not have expected the $50 Blizzard polish (I think games were mostly $50 back then). I've played a bit of it so far and it seems fine for an old school 2D adventure game, just not full price worthy.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I remember being in early high school dying to play this. When it got got canceled, I was bummed, but understood why. As far as they said publicly, the gamr suffered from horrific feature creep.

Nokterian

I remember being in early high school dying to play this. When it got got canceled, I was bummed, but understood why. As far as they said publicly, the gamr suffered from horrific feature creep.

I remember it from diverse pc magazines with all the pictures and after playing warcraft and warcraft 2 this could have been something but it ended in the bin.

Kyari

Didnt this already leak some years ago? Or do I come from another dimension that merged with this one?

There was a prolific April fools joke on a prominent abandon ware site some years ago claiming it had (it hadn't).

Also a lone Russian played and uploaded a lets play of it around that time.

Why didn't they just release the game at a discounted price of $20-30? Then people would not have expected the $50 Blizzard polish (I think games were mostly $50 back then). I've played a bit of it so far and it seems fine for an old school 2D adventure game, just not full price worthy.

By that point, they were also deeply revising the lore for Warcraft 3... While some of the game remained "true" to future lore materials, a lot of it was scrapped... So why release the sub par game that contradicted lore from an upcoming game?

Mr. Tibbs

PC Gamer posted a detailed article about Lord of Clans' development history:

The inside story of Warcraft Adventures: Blizzard's lost point-and-click adventure

Trying to rework puzzles and story without heaps of new animation was obviously no easy task. With Meretzky's help, Blizzard had a plan to redo the UI and reshape other portions of the game. In his opinion, despite their focus on the puzzles, the scope of their changes couldn't have turned Warcraft Adventures into a great game. He called Thrall's story "interesting and even a little big moving" and praised the voice acting, particularly Clancy Brown as Thrall. "Being able to get up close to the characters, weapons, and vehicles of the Warcraft world, and go inside buildings like the aviary and goblin workshop, was such a fun experience," he said." But the art was only serviceable, hardly great, and their changes would've made for okay puzzles, but certainly nothing that stood out from the other adventure games of 1997.

Still, with a potential roadmap for improvement, Blizzard took the unfinished build and those plans to E3. And that would prove to be the end.

"Someone called me, I think it was Bill, to let me know," Meretzky recalled. "He said that they'd shown the game around at E3 to a select group of people they trusted, and the consensus was that it was so far below Blizzard standards, that even with the improvements we'd designed, it still wouldn't be good enough to release. They decided that their choices were to invest a LOT more in the game, or kill it, and then decided to kill it. ... I think Blizzard made the right decision to not release the game, although it made me sad at the time. It wasn't a triple-A-quality game, and Blizzard was known for triple-A games. I'm sure it was a hard decision for them to make. They loved adventure games and wanted to make one, but instead had to kill their baby."

Top Bottom