• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unskippable end credits

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Any kind of unskippable cut scene is the worst. I guess thy got to make sure everyone notices their name so they get their 15 minutes of fame. Media is the only industry that does this.

If credits, plot, dialogue etc... are so important, just give gamers a master log of all unlocked credits and cut scenes and let gamers replay them.

It's amazing how games dont let you do this. You'd think they would give gamers the option to rewatch stuff.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I mean, way I see it, dude # 3,076 on the credits scroll probably had less fun coding for a piece of shit patch of grass that he's never going to get appreciation for for a year than your ungrateful ass has watching a list of names scroll by for five minutes in front of your TV, so I deal with it.

Unless it's fucking Ubisoft. The fucking Book of Names is shorter than most of their staff rolls.

Chronicle

Anyone else get annoyed at this? You've taken the time to complete a game, you probably enjoyed it if you completed it. Then you are forced to sit through roughly 3 minutes of names of people you probably don't know or care about knowing. Especially beyond the first 30 seconds to a minute and just listing play testers and translators etc. No disrespect intended.

Now I respect the time and work Devs put into a good game, but not giving me the option to skip, is definitely a pet peeve of mine.

It's not a huge deal, obviously... and it doesn't happen often.

It's not so bad if they have made the effort to stylise the credits with illustrations/theming/doodles whatever. Something other than just scrolling white text on a black background. But even then I'd appreciate the option to skip.

If not, and unskippable, you are just going to make me to put my controller down and look at my phone for 3 minutes till the credits end. That's the reality for a lot of people I'd guess?

I know, I know, it's trivial in the grand scheme of things. But it happened again recently and it ever so slightly took the shine off completing a game I really enjoyed playing. Just a bit.

I also tried to think of an original idea for a new thread on this forum that hasn't been made before.

Do I seem ungrateful to the devs?

Disrespectful to the game studio?

Or is it a universal truth that all games should have the option to skip end credits?

Thoughts on this highly important issue facing gaming today!?

I'd even settle for a speed up credit roll button prompt at the minimum!
I always let them play out of respect for the team that made it. Plus I'm worried I'll miss some bullshit cutscene at the end or something.

Tangerine

I always let them play out of respect for the team that made it. Plus I'm worried I'll miss some bullshit cutscene at the end or something.
I'd not considered the possibility of skipping credits and it skipping an after credit cutscene too. I think that would be harsh as fuck!

If fact I'd like to think that's not a thing in any game... *Sus*

I think it's a nice gesture watching the credits.

My appreciation is shown by 100%ing pretty much any game I'm playing. I just made that up on the spot so I'm probably just a disrespectful fuck ;)

Not the 100%ing, I do that; but that being a gesture of respect. I suppose it could be argued it's respectful but it's not why I do it. The more I think about it it's a component perhaps. A dash of respect. Delicious.

Last edited:

sainraja

Anyone else get annoyed at this? You've taken the time to complete a game, you probably enjoyed it if you completed it. Then you are forced to sit through roughly 3 minutes of names of people you probably don't know or care about knowing. Especially beyond the first 30 seconds to a minute and just listing play testers and translators etc. No disrespect intended.

Now I respect the time and work Devs put into a good game, but not giving me the option to skip, is definitely a pet peeve of mine.

It's not so bad if they have made the effort to stylise the credits with illustrations/theming/doodles whatever. Something other than just scrolling white text on a black background. But even then I'd appreciate the option to skip.

If not, and unskippable, you are just going to make me to put my controller down and look at my phone for 3 minutes till the credits end. That's the reality for a lot of people I'd guess?

I know, I know, it's trivial in the grand scheme of things. But it happened again recently and it ever so slightly took the shine off completing a game I really enjoyed playing. Just a bit.

I also tried to think of an original idea for a new thread on this forum that hasn't been made before.

Or is it a universal truth that all games should have the option to skip end credits?

What game was it?

I can't of a game where I wasn't able to skip the end credits. Some games even allow you to view credits before you finish the game.

Tell me you have never finished a Square Enix game without actually saying it, lol

nkarafo

Unless it's fucking Ubisoft. The fucking Book of Names is shorter than most of their staff rolls.

Also:

Ubisoft_story_photo1-900x506.png

Bet half of that staff roll is filled with diversity hires whose only job is to "consult" on something.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Ubisoft_story_photo1-900x506.png

Bet half of that staff roll is filled with diversity hires whose only job is to "consult" on something.
I expect them to have hirings all over the spectrum. They seem to always want a cookie for doing what should be done naturally. That company is exhausting considering their own closets.

Not heard of the 2nd part of your post as Ive never owned or really played any playstation games, but cool idea non the less.

I wonder if there's any other special or different/unique ending credits... interactive some how or just... Unique somehow. Psychonaughts 2? No...

I'm sure there's one I've played at some point that I can't quite remember... Damn.

Here's an example:

It wasn't just a Playstation thing though. There were quite a few games during the generation spanning the PS2/Dreamcast/Xbox/GC that included special dev levels and special credits in the way that you're talking about. It's just more of a rare occasion today, same with easter eggs.

Go have a coffee while the credits roll.

Also appreciate the effort the devs put into the game you've just finished and hopefully enjoyed.

However credits should be skippable after you've already completed the game the first time. Same goes for cut scenes.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Even worse is if you Shift+Tab in Steam to bring up the browser whilst the credits play, and the game pauses the credits.

Kamina

Golden Boy
In a world in which you can skip credits in movies you should be able to skip them in games.
Hardly anyone is reading them anyway.
No, it is not ungrateful to the devs, you payed for the product, they delivered, you don’t owe them reading through 15+ minutes of credits. Anyone who whishes to read them can do so. Also many games these days have credits selectable as an option in the main menu.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Sometimes you are not sure until you finish it. Also if i start something i want to finish it. Of course not 100 hour RPGs, but something at the 8-10 hour mark "must" be finished XD
Ahh I see, so not games you dislike just something you may not really like. That makes sense. I had that with a few before as well.

Top Bottom