• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unsubstantiated Rumor: Sony To Buy Rockstar and Tengu Restaurant?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The mods talked it over, we discussed it with our personal source within the tengu resturaunt, he told us Sony is buying both.

pswii60

Pharmacy said:
heh owned

KickMe.gif

You sure have been.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
sp0rsk said:
The mods talked it over, we discussed it with our personal source within the tengu resturaunt, he told us Sony is buying both.
:lol

Jstevensons joke = saved.

Nolan.

sp0rsk said:

Yes tengu resturaunt game on my ps3 eh!^^.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
ingredients to disaster:

1. rockstar "exclusive new franchise just for ps3"

2. rockstar postponing gta iv

=

OMG SONY IS GOING TO BUY ROCKSTAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eve241

GTA might be a good selling franchise but really is this really BIG news?It's not even strange.

Microsoft buying Team Ico - that would be BIG news!

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
M3wThr33 said:
In a surprise counter-move, Microsoft is going to purchase PF Chang's Chinese Bistro.

And Nintendo is buying Panda Express.

CHINESEFASTFOODATON.

jmd494

Has anything aside from joking and speculation occured since the first page? Is this going anywhere? Any debunking/confirming?

M3wThr33

Banned
Justin Dailey said:
Has anything aside from joking and speculation occured since the first page? Is this going anywhere? Any debunking/confirming?
WHAT?
The whole thread started on the premise that this was an obvious misinterpretation of Sony getting the next R* franchise as exclusive while MS gets GTA4 eps.

jmd494

M3wThr33 said:
WHAT?
The whole thread started on the premise that this was an obvious misinterpretation of Sony getting the next R* franchise as exclusive while MS gets GTA4 eps.

Well then I guess that would be a debunking

Kyosuke said:
.. and just a short while ago, Tabletennis and Bully were announced for the Wii. Nintendo buying Rockstar confirmed?
Those aren't exclusive though.
Speevy said:
Rockstar doesn't have anything to gain by this. Why would they do it?
Oh really? Microsoft might have a bigger install base (hence the 1 year start) but that won't be forever.

Hell they even said DVD9 is holding them back! So why not go for the more powerful hardware/bigger storage medium?
Xekrn said:
Now where're the trolls bitching about MS buying GTA exclusive content ??

Oh and LOL at this rumor, even if it's true do you think MS would sit there and watch all these things happen ?
What is there to bitch about, I don't get it?

Like some have pointed out Microsoft has lost a lot of money on their x-box division. But Microsoft as a whole hasn't. The question is do they throw more money at the xbox division or wait until they allegedly profit next year. I thought people were predicting this holiday season would finally turn profit for the xbox.

But your right, it seems like they'll throw out money at all costs.
Endow said:
GTA might be a good selling franchise but really is this really BIG news?It's not even strange.

Microsoft buying Team Ico - that would be BIG news!
That would be lame because the game would sell that great on the 360. Just look at Viva-Pinata. It would be like "We have more money to throw away than you do nener nener"

I still don't get why Katamari is exclusive to 360.

Then you say if this is true it's not big new!?!?!? Huh?

If this does happen I can't see an official announcement until some time next year.

1st party food does sound tasty though ;) :lol

InterMoniker said:
Those aren't exclusive though.
Oh really? Microsoft might have a bigger install base (hence the 1 year start) but that won't be forever.

Do you really believe that? I mean, even with EU and JPN contributions, aren't the numbers of what it would have to sell to even catch up phenomenally high?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Do you really believe that? I mean, even with EU and JPN contributions, aren't the numbers of what it would have to sell to even catch up phenomenally high?
Well what's the 360 at exactly? Around 9 million? Because I've heard too many different numbers.

Hell last year they (microsoft) we're touting 10 million (maybe3 shipped?) but it doesn't look like they're there yet.

What is the PS3 at 3 million?

Sales, sales, sales........

We'll see.

Quazar

Isn't the 50M from MS just an advancement in money for R* for GTA4? R*: advance us 50M and in return we'll give you two exclusive episodes and this much in sales? Or am I wrong?

InterMoniker said:
Well what's the 360 at exactly? Around 9 million? Because I've heard too many different numbers.

What is the PS3 at 3 million?

Sales, sales, sales........

We'll see.

Wow, I thought it was 3 million betwixt the two, but a 6 million gap? I have to admit, I was concerned about the 360s ability to hold up this Holiday until they released the Halo 3 preorder number, which has already surpassed the Halo 2 preorder number from a month away from release. MS could concievably add at least another million units to that gap (and that's over the amount that both consoles will sell equally) over the holiday season.

So, yes. I think that the 360 will have the largest HD install base for the rest of this generation.

Quazar said:
Isn't the 50M from MS just an advancement in money for R* for GTA4? R*: advance us 50M and in return we'll give you two exclusive episodes and this much in sales? Or am I wrong?
I thought it was for the DLC...

EMBee99 said:
And Nintendo is buying Panda Express.

CHINESEFASTFOODATON.

Fuckers. Do you have any idea how many Panda Express' are in California? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA?

Traditional restaurants are doomed.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wow, I thought it was 3 million betwixt the two, but a 6 million gap? I have to admit, I was concerned about the 360s ability to hold up this Holiday until they released the Halo 3 preorder number, which has already surpassed the Halo 2 preorder number from a month away from release. MS could concievably add at least another million units to that gap (and that's over the amount that both consoles will sell equally) over the holiday season.

So, yes. I think that the 360 will have the largest HD install base for the rest of this generation.
Hah I don't know the official betwixt either man. Does anyone really know.....?

I'm sure Halo 3 will sell A LOT especially now that GTA4 is delayed. Gotta finish the trilogy right?

What are the Halo 3 pre-orders #'s?

InterMoniker said:
Hah I don't know the official betwixt either man. Does anyone really know.....?

I'm sure Halo 3 will sell A LOT especially now that GTA4 is delayed. Gotta finish the trilogy right?

What is the Halo 3 pre-orders?

1 million, as opposed to Halo 2's 750,000 a month from release.

PSU: Real Story Behind Rockstar/Sony Rumor
By: Justin Pinter

Hi everyone. As you may have read over the past two days, there was the rumor that Sony was taking Rockstar under its wing. The article was posted on PSU Thursday morning by one of our new writers who took the liberty of posting the "rumor" as news without going by our editors first.

Not only was it incorrect to the actual rumor I heard at the Sony event, but PSU has no intention of posting rumors of that proportion without having good and reliable sources to back it up.

The real story...

Wednesday night, Sony took all of us press and media folks out to dinner at the Tengu restaurant in Santa Monica. While sitting amongst my table of journalists and eating delicious asian sushi, I asked what were some of the rumors they had heard circulating in the industry. We all talked about Bioshock, Tivo, video on demand, and then eventually made our way to the recent talk of Rockstar going exclusive with Sony after GTAIV with such titles as LA Noire, and the secret PS3 title. The talk lead to someone stating that they knew that not only was the rumor correct but there was more to it. Basically from what I heard, Sony was taking Rockstar under its wing. Now I don't know if that means they are buying them or if they are supporting them as if they were someone like Naughty Dog or Insomniac.

What happened was then after dinner I got on MSN IM and discussed it with my fellow staffers; telling them about the day with Sony and some of the stuff I heard.

One of them took the rumors I mentioned and posted it as news on PSU the next morning finding his way into our admin and everything went from there. Our editors had no idea what had happened and I woke to journalists questioning me about it.

Anyways, hopefully you can forgive us and we can move on from here. Thanks!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
doesn't he just say that is what he heard anyway? we already knew it was a "rumor"

i dont see how the end result of reporting this is any different other than the newbie news writer neglecting to mention what the source was. as if rumors needed sources to somehow be "valid" (rumors with "sources" are still rumors duh)

NoUseMercenary said:
PSU: Real Story Behind Rockstar/Sony Rumor
By: Justin Pinter

Hi everyone. As you may have read over the past two days, there was the rumor that Sony was taking Rockstar under its wing. The article was posted on PSU Thursday morning by one of our new writers who took the liberty of posting the "rumor" as news without going by our editors first.

But what about the Tengu restaurant? Did Sony buy it too?

I really hate sites that spread bullshit to get hits. Let's hope it's the first and last time PSU pulls something like this.

pswii60

NoUseMercenary said:
Yeah, don't worry. It was a BIG mess up and we are looking into firing the writer.

Is that really necessary? He did label it as a rumour and the article itself was almost identical to what you wrote above.

Of course the headline was overly sensationalist, but I'm sure it improved your hit rate.

And no, I'm not the writer.

Top Bottom