• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unused Factor 5 assets, possibly for Pilotwings?

So, some banned GAF member who neglected to leave his name commented on my blog with the following message.

Man,i got banned from gaf and need someone to post for me this factor 5 pilotwings assets i found :

My initial response is "Hah, fuck you." But the pictures he posted don't LOOK fake and the names on the picture seem to check out. I figure, let GAF decide. So I rehosted them and am placing them here.

2z7llec.jpg

“Each building is approximately 1000 triangles. The rubble bases at the bottom were created to be interchangable between buildings with the same footprint. I art-directed the concept artist and then modeled and UVed the assets pictured before passing them to a texture artist. Once the texture work was completed, I art teched the assets for use with the game engine. I then placed the buildings using Factor 5’s proprietary level design tool.”

2zz6938.jpg

“These are in-progress assets created for a Wii flight action game. The cargo plane was part of the parachute player activity and needed to be a visually interesting space for the player to jump out from.”

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Those people look strange. It would be a new style for a PW game...PW64 had a different style than the original though.

A flying Bus, Flying Truck, and Flying Junk. Well I would still be excited about a new Pilotwings, after 15-20 hours the Wii Sports Resort Island is getting a little old.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
While there was some type of co-developed Nintendo/Factor 5 projects from the GameCube to maybe early conception of the Wii.

This flying game from Factor 5 was going to be casual flying game for a third party publisher. If it was originally being pitched as a Pilotwings under Nintendo, it must have been dropped.

Shiggy

Shikamaru Ninja said:
While there was some type of co-developed Nintendo/Factor 5 projects from the GameCube to maybe early conception of the Wii.

This flying game from Factor 5 was going to be casual flying game for a third party publisher. If it was originally being pitched as a Pilotwings under Nintendo, it must have been dropped.

There was a business flyer in which it was stated that they had a Wii title in development which was going to be published by Nintendo. However, it is true that this flying project has no publisher as of July.
WhiteHarvest also appears to have closed down during that month.

Shiggy

Animator said:
The artists who worked on it posted those on their portfolio months ago. It is not a "leak" or anything really.

Could you PM me who those artists were as I can only find the assets from May.

Animator

Shiggy said:
Could you PM me who those artists were as I can only find the assets from May.

Their names are on the images. I know Gaurav posted that building img on his facebook like two months ago which is where I first saw it.

toneroni

the buildings look like stuff from that flying game they were making for the Wii (played a nearly completed version over a year ago)...

but the planes are different.

kinda surprised nothing much has been leaked in so much time..

Shiggy

Animator said:
Their names are on the images. I know Gaurav posted that building img on his facebook like two months ago which is where I first saw it.

Well, I don't look use Facebook ;)
Are there any other assets?

@toneroni
Factor 5 Germany is still trying to find a publisher...but it went all downhill when their EA project (Brütal Legend according to a blog) was cancelled in July. Could you give some more information about the project though?

[Nintex]

toneroni said:
the buildings look like stuff from that flying game they were making for the Wii (played a nearly completed version over a year ago)...

but the planes are different.

kinda surprised nothing much has been leaked in so much time..
I'm more surprised that is hasn't been released yet. It looks like Nintendo actually dropped this project and said fuck you to White Harvest LLC.

Forget Factor 5/White Harvest/Whatever the hell they're called now.

If you want a truly great next-gen Pilotwings, give it to the team that developed Sky Odyssey on PS2.

Hard to get a good feel from these assets of what the game would have been like.

However... If Nintendo got it's head out of it's own ass and made a Pilotwings Wii game, I would buy a Wii tomorrow. I maintain Pilotwings 64 is one of the greatest games of all time.

Neuromancer said:
Hard to get a good feel from these assets of what the game would have been like.

However... If Nintendo got it's head out of it's own ass and made a Pilotwings Wii game, I would buy a Wii tomorrow. I maintain Pilotwings 64 is one of the greatest games of all time.

Sky Odyssey is better.

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:
I'm more surprised that is hasn't been released yet. It looks like Nintendo actually dropped this project and said fuck you to White Harvest LLC.

I assume that White Harvest worked on the project when they also worked on the EA port. When that was cancelled they could no longer support development of this flight game and the studio layed off most - if not all - of their employees.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The buildings don't look pilotwingys at all. They look like they're out of some dystopian future or something.

Shiggy

Does anyone still have the Pilotwings Wii article which was published on the Game Informer website last April? From what I remember it fits pretty well into what we know about this Factor 5 flight title.

topramen

I hope someday what actually happened between nintendo and factor 5 comes to light. If these deals/publishing agreements hadn't fallen through we would have had.

Rogue Squadron 4
Kid icarus
Pilotwings wii
and possibly even a brutal legend port.

Talk about the missed potential

nightez

Banned
Those art assets are really starved for geometry. Too primitive to be the work of Factor 5. The Rogue Squadron games had ships which were quite a bit more detailed, some made up of many thousands of polygons.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
nightez said:
Those art assets are really starved for geometry. Too primitive to be the work of Factor 5. The Rogue Squadron games had ships which were quite a bit more detailed, some made up of many thousands of polygons.

Generally prototypes don't have extremely high amounts of polygons.

Games go through a revision based process, and the art assets are part of that. A simplistic model may be used at the start of the project to give a feel for the world and allow them to test the gameplay, whereas at the end of the project, the model may look so much better it is barely recognizable to the original.

While these might not be the work of Factor 5, they do say prototype, so we probably shouldn't judge their legitimacy based upon the model quality of a finished game.

Shiggy

nightez said:

Those are done by Factor 5, there's nothing to doubt here. Still, we don't know how large the game's world would've been, so they may have had to do technical compromises.

Doesn't look good for this game coming out in the near future as there is no more White Harvest and Factor 5 apparently doesn't seem to be able to finish/release it :/

nightez

Banned
Nirolak said:

Games go through a revision based process, and the art assets are part of that. A simplistic model may be used at the start of the project to give a feel for the world and allow them to test the gameplay, whereas at the end of the project, the model may look so much better it is barely recognizable to the original.

While these might not be the work of Factor 5, they do say prototype, so we probably shouldn't judge their legitimacy based upon the model quality of a finished game.
Oh seen. Learn new things everyday.

Doesn't really look like Pilotwings -- was that ever anything more than a rumor? Maybe this was a different game.

It's a cool style though. The characters seem kinda out of place, but the building and plane concepts look like they'd make an interesting setting for a flight game.

Nirolak said:

That, and I wouldn't expect a game with that art style to be pushing hardware in the same way as Rogue Squadron or Lair. Factor 5 got burned badly with their last expensive game, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them scale things back pretty dramatically.

Top Bottom