• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unused Monsters found in Silent Hill 1 Files

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

FUUUUUCK this game was already terrifying enough at the time. No thank you to these extra horrors.

Somehow, being low poly and having bad textures makes these things even scarier looking.

As discussed, this is all very VERY interesting as a huge fan of Silent Hill. There's a video on YouTube showing more such as the three stages of the infamous child monsters. If the guys behind this can uncover leftover characters or scripts, that could change the way we see SH lore.

I gotta admit, the FRG monster seems the creepiest to me while the OST reminds me of the Split Worm.

Orb

Damn! Sucks that OST was never used, that was the one kind of monster the original lacked, toweringly tall dudes.

OST is super rad, as are the top two IMO, but most of the others look like they'd be jobbers for a boss, especially the little moths.

On a side note, damn its been forever since I was active on Silent Hill Community. I think I fell out when Silent Hills was canceled :/

I was tempted to go back after the AlexShepherd wiki debacle reminded me, but never did

As discussed, this is all very VERY interesting as a huge fan of Silent Hill. There's a video on YouTube showing more such as the three stages of the infamous child monsters. If the guys behind this can uncover leftover characters or scripts, that could change the way we see SH lore.

I gotta admit, the FRG monster seems the creepiest to me while the OST reminds me of the Split Worm.
IMO its probably not a great idea to consider cut content as canon or for use in lore. They're usually cool, but cut for a reason.

halfbeast

Banned
NtXFNSN.gif

sYx4lkd.jpg

h773rPZ.jpg

2590922-3988854157-kqz1p.gif

x5ynn7h.jpg

8873e4657e134bc866ae829b9209c429.gif

(she's bi)

Orb

This makes me mad I never got to really play the first. I wish Silent Hill could a got a MGS legacy esque collection instead of what we got.

You know... I definitely have fonder memories of SH1 than SH2... more replayable for me too. It's definitely MUCH scarier...

3rd favorite game of all time. It's now official.

Phantasy Star IV
Streets of Rage 1
Silent Hill 1
My kinda person

Z3M0G

You know... I definitely have fonder memories of SH1 than SH2... more replayable for me too. It's definitely MUCH scarier...

3rd favorite game of all time. It's now official.

Phantasy Star IV
Streets of Rage 1
Silent Hill 1

IMO its probably not a great idea to consider cut content as canon or for use in lore. They're usually cool, but cut for a reason.

Well this certainly isn't true, cut content can be cut for many reasons such as running out of time or money. Said content would be made as DLC nowadays but they couldn't do that back then, so for all we know, these monsters COULD all be canon and there might be more evidence of that should more hex files be dug up.

While most of the names seem to match an animal they were likely based on by the name (OST= Ostrich, BTRF= Butterfly, SNK= Snake, FRG= Frog), Guessing El is meant to be Eel even though it's clearly a Manta-Ray, MNK looks like an anteater more than any sort of actual monkey.

I'm FASCINATED at the idea people were not able to discover this sooner though, cause for a more obscure game, it'd be fair to be hidden this long, but even though SH1 isn't where the series took off (clearly 2), I figured it would've received quite a lot of analysis in hindsight.

I wonder why they cut out the moths, because they were clearly going to be tied in with the actual giant moth boss in the final game. Maybe they just decided to upgrade it from enemy to full boss?

Still the best Silent Hill. This is almost a bit too RE like, just taking normal animals and making them monsters. It's better they went with more surreal stuff.

Orb

Still the best Silent Hill. This is almost a bit too RE like, just taking normal animals and making them monsters. It's better they went with more surreal stuff.
Yeah, Silent Hill 3 is my favorite for this reason, because even the 1 animal enemy(split head) is pretty creative.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Shanaynay

I always love when new discoveries are made in those old titles. The moth model seems pretty complete, i wonder why it didn't make it into the game, time constraint perhaps?

-shadow-

Almost 20 years and now people are learning how the game files works. Those people at Konami back in the days must have been some wizards!

Or idiots, depends on your perspective.

Almost 20 years and now people are learning how the game files works. Those people at Konami back in the days must have been some wizards!

Or idiots, depends on your perspective.

Well they went onto making Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4... so wizards, definitely. The technical feats. they did for PS2 were mind blowing back then and still kind of is to this day.

kc44135

These are pretty cool! Although I do agree they're perhaps a bit too Resident Evil esque. Also... we're never getting a new Silent Hill, are we? :(

The child creature textures are interesting. It's cool to get a proper look at the old child designs that the Lost Memories book talked about.

Dusk Golem

Thanks for making this thread, Dusk. Fascinating!

OST, MKY, and SNK certainly look like things Masahiro Ito would have designed. FRG ones are unsettling, like Plump said. Can't really put my finger on it. The El ones are kinda goofy and makes me wonder if they were originally intended for the sewers. If so, the teddy bear things in the final release are much more disturbing, IMO.

Hope more gets pulled out of the files. Love this stuff. I don't have a Twitter account, but someone should link Ito to this thread. Maybe he could supply some history? :)

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

UPDATE: Video of the monster replacing the Grey Children: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO-cHBzfY2k
A note: The monster is buggy, since it's replacing an enemy it doesn't have the full function of the monster, but it does have the animations for when shot and when attacking (but as it's on a grey children model, it looks like its attack predictably is a jump but it stands in place since grey children don't jump).

Yeah, the frogs are creepier than the cockroaches, but they seem a little over sized for that room. Maybe it eluded to the fact that the school had a sewer system nearby or was flooded or something.

HotHamBoy

FUUUUUCK this game was already terrifying enough at the time. No thank you to these extra horrors.

Somehow, being low poly and having bad textures makes these things even scarier looking.

Isn't it weird? Outside of the gameplay being horribly dated, I don't think I could ever play SH1 or any classic SH. I *barely* got through P.T.

The thing is, I'm not squeamish about horror when it comes to movies and books. I've actually gone to great lengths to find something that rattles me and I am left desensitized and unphased.

But horror video games? Nope. Can't do it. I mean, sure, if I watch someone else play it doesn't phase me at all, but put the controller in my hand and the anxiety overwhelms me. I think it's the agency. My actions trigger the scares.

Hell, I even have problems with stuff like Ravenholm.

Dusk Golem

Titania

Those are terrifying, good lord. Always happy to see unused content or previously unknown stuff from games though, especially Silent Hill.

Interesting stuff definitely! I didn't even know that extra monsters existed in the game before now. You've got to hand it to the folks who commit so much time and energy to make these discoveries just to share it with the fan base, those guys are heroes.:p

Top Bottom