• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Up:] neoGAF GOTY 2017 |OT| Voting closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cormack12

Gold Member
ery1Dr9.png

t1516406100z0.png

Things have been radically changed so please read the entire post first!

Welcome to the neoGAF 2017 GOTY voting thread!! As we all know there have been some dramatic changes over the last couple of months so this is my first time attempting to change things up. Hopefully it will all work out. I think whatever other divisions there are, we can all agree this has been a really outstanding year for games.

Rules
Deadline: As per countdown timer above;
Minimum votes: You must vote at least three times;
Validation: You must post in this thread to validate your vote. The survey asks for your username last and marries the lists together, to ensure only GAF members votes count;

A game I want to vote for isn't listed
I tried to include the most common games. But if there is one you really want added let me know. It takes an hour to refresh after being added. I'll be honest I don't have a huge amount of spare time and this took some effort on it's own. As a result there will definitely be titles that I've missed off. So just drop them here or PM me and I'll add them.

They will appear at the end of the list prefixed by an 'X'. Games added so far:

Code:
X - Destiny 2: Curse of Osiris
X - PUBG
X - Battlechasers
X - Slime Rancher
X - Hob
X - XCOM2: War of the Chosen
X - Ruiner

Can I post my list in the thread?
Certainly. I've hosted it like this mainly for the automation. It makes the demands on my time less. But also, I feel it might actually throw up more authentic results without people getting a flavour for the 2/3 titles that are leading. Having said that, please do share your list or partial list if so inclined, with your thoughts on the games. Also, with the software upgrade looming from reading round, it's probably a safer bet hosting it like this anyway.

Why the three words?
It's hard when picking out an individual quote to really capture an entire communities thoughts, so I'm going to try and capture the most common thoughts from everyone to paint a broader picture.

Eligibility
  • Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on.
  • DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable. Destiny 2: The curse of osiris is eligible.
  • Episodes of games released this year are eligible.

Isn't it a bit early?
Slightly earlier than previous years, but again, I'm limited by my free time so it's either this or nothing sadly. I don't want to be doing this on christmas eve when I've got family round etc.

Are Early Access games eligible?
No, Early Access, beta, demo, and Greenlight games are not eligible. PC games must reach full release, or version 1.0 in order to be eligible. I've already included PUBG on the presumption that the XBox One release counts as official release status.

Can I update my vote?
As it's form based, no. You need to put your votes in one sitting. However, if you have a change of heart. Post again in this thread and I'll black mark your earlier vote.

VOTING CLOSED

Happy voting. Look forward to the results!

Last edited:

BibiMaghoo

Voted. It was difficult to pick for me. I really enjoyed Horizon but have spent so much time with Total War, and Uncharted was better than expected too.

Ubername

Banned
Voted for as many as I could, I realized while voting I only bought like 2 or 3 new releases this year to play myself.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Thanks for setting this up and all and I admit my brain is fried atm while reading the rules and such so forgive me for being an idiot right now.

But, and yes I have to go there, PUBG is up there and no Fortnite?

I read the part about no early access games and but as of right now PUBG is still just that.

No Super Cloudbuilt? That's on my list, and it came out this year.

edited:

Voted regardless. Super Cloudbuilt probably won't get any mentions aside from me even though it's easily the most enjoyable platformer/parkour game I played in a long time.

Had quite a few ports on my list like Ys: Origin, Axiom Verge and Wipeout Omega. Had three open world games on my list, and I enjoyed them mostly despite their open worlds, not because of them. The only game that I really thought benefitted from being open world was Gravity Rush 2, and its open world was uniquely designed which was a plus. But NieR and Horizon? The open worlds were just there. They didn't add anything to my experience with either which was pretty linear to boot.

Anyway, hope Prey wins. It was my top choice.

Paine

Neo Member
Voted BOTW, Mario Odyssey and Persona. They’re the only 3 games I’ve been able to finish this year and 3 of my favourite games of all time.

orborborb

1 Nex Machina
2 RE7 VR
3 Doom 2016 Multiplayer
4 Super Mario Odyssey
5 Zelda Breath of the Wild
6 Uncharted Lost Legacy
7 Raiden V Director's Cut
8 Xenoblade Chronicles 2
9 Ys VIII
10 Snake Pass

cormack12

Gold Member
But, and yes I have to go there, PUBG is up there and no Fortnite?

Yeah, it's probably going to be the most contentious, but as it's getting a physical release on Xbox One, I think we can assume this is release 1.0 despite the problems. However, can revisit if enough people feel strongly about it. Or include fortnite if that is considered at release 1`.0 as well?

No Super Cloudbuilt? That's on my list, and it came out this year.

Yeah, I can add games but obviously I sleep etc. so if you do want it adding just tell me. Doesn't matter if it's a low vote yield really. As long as it gets the credit ha

Can see already a few diverse lists, might be a close one this year!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
My Top Ten:
1. Super Mario Odyssey
2. Yooka-Laylee
3. Sonic Mania
4. Sonic Forces
5. Metroid Samus Returns
6. Mario + Rabbids
7. Zelda BotW
8. Chaos;Child
9. Dangranronpa V3
10. Super Lucky's Tale

HBx2000

I just voted and this is my top 3:

- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands
- Sniper Elite 4
- Call of Duty: WWII

ubiblu

Votes BotW, SMO, and P5 for top 3. Wow: what a great year for gaming!! What’s crazy is that those three games define my top 3 games of the last 25+ years, and even my former GOAT Okami got a re-release! Recency bias be damned...2017 had it all.

xviper

GAF loves nintendo

Nintendo released one of the greatest games of all time( Zelda)

Zelda will win GAF GOTY

if not, then something is wrong with GAF

ajim

Sweet. Just voted.

I actually found it difficult to get to 10 I loved this year. The top 5 were clear standouts and I'd be happy to have just chosen them.

Thanks for organizing this!

Go Nier!!

HAdoubleRY

Neo Member
Hoping that Zelda will win, but I saw a lot of people talking about Horizon a few weeks ago. Could be a close call.

Edit: Top 3 are probably obvious: 1) Zelda, 2) Mario 3) P5

Zimmy68

I can't vote, I just can't do it.

I loved this year for games. I can't think the last time I finished this many games in a year.

I absolutely loved almost every game I bought:

Prey, Dishonored 2, Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Shadow of War, AC Origins, Horizon Zero Dawn.

If I had a gun to my head, I would have to say Zelda. I wanted to hate that game but loved every second of it.

Disappointments would be easier...

I'm looking at you COD:WW2

cormack12

Gold Member
OK, got to my list before. Here is the top five from the ten I picked

1. Gran Turismo Sport;
2. Uncharted: Lost Legacy;
3. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild;
4. Destiny 2
5. Horizon: Zero Dawn;

• Haven't played Nier, been waiting for a good digital sale for it. The rest is pure casual ahahaha. I know there is controversy over GT:S but honestly,it's reinvigorated my interest in driving games and I thought it was gone. The design is so fitting for my lifestyle and playstyle;
  • Lost Legacy was also a return to form. Not gonna lie, Uncharted 4 was a good game but it lacked the Uncharted vibe I had come to love. This definitely scratched the itch again. Enjoyed every minute;
  • Zelda - great game but I'm not a huge Zelda fan. I can appreciate it as a game though just not as a die hard fan of the series. Everything made me feel like......like a kid again I guess? Cliche but the bright colours and art and game mechanics/physics were outstanding;
  • Destiny 2 - the best co-op so far aside from Diablo 3 I've enjoyed most recently. Yeah it has problems and I don't really like eververse but it's on my most played list and does a lot of things well;
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn - ran AC:Origin close for the top 5 slot but just edged it out, only recently played it through as well. For me like a lot of open worlds it took some time to feel comfortable/familiar in it and eventually wore me out as well. However, the middle part was at times breathtaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom