• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (~200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2017 Edition ||

I love the Vita as much as anybody but the Atelier series switching to Switch is only a good thing in my mind. I picked up one of the earlier Vita ports (Totori I think?) and the performance & loads bothered me even back then - I've heard the sequels are even worse in that regard. A portable Atelier game without visual, performance, or load compromises is just what I would need to get back into the series.

I have no problem with the series moving to Switch. The problem I have is that we've gotten 2/3rds of a trilogy on Vita and the third title exists for the platform, but we don't get to play it in English.

Since it exists; is being translated and the previous games clearly sold well enough for them to keep coming, it would've been nice if we could've just gotten a quick stick-it-up-on-PSN for those of us who don't have a Switch and don't mind playing Atelier with visual; performance or load compromises (which, judging by Nights of Azure 2, is coming anyway to Switch because Gust can't optimize lol).

In other Koei-Tecmo news that shouldn't surprise anyone, Attack on Titan 2 also skipping Vita in the west:

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/912225861935534080

Looks like Toukiden 2 will be the final Koei-Tecmo western Vita release. I suspect AoT2 will be the final Koei-Tecmo Vita release in general.

Ephidel

I get not releasing Knights of Azure, or Blue Reflection, even if I would have bought and played those games despite their performance issues on the platform because personally I would have been willing to take the hit in order to play them as handheld games.
They were new titles, I understand not wanting to take the risk, or not thinking it was worth it.
Atelier, on the other hand, was apparently successful enough that they could release eight games on the platform, but they can't find it in themselves to stretch to a ninth, even though people have sunk money into supporting the series and this game would wrap up a trilogy.

If this were a game that was designed from the ground up to be a technologically 'better' game and as a result wasn't compatible with the vita, I would accept that (a bit begrudgingly, considering it's the final part of a trilogy, and I'd have preferred they had a bit of respect for the people playing it and allow them to finish it and start their shiny new ps4-and-switch game afterwards, but okay). If it wasn't coming to the system at all that would be that.

... But it isn't. This isn't a game that was designed for a different system entirely. It is coming to the system. The company is going to allow users to complete the trilogy on the hardware they already own... but not here. Apparently the American, European, etc purchasers of their games aren't worthy of that much consideration.

They were happy to take our money for the previous entries but even though this final part is being released on a platform we own, and translated into a language we speak, they're not going to release a version of the game that we can actually play. In all honesty that pisses me off a little bit.

To be honest, Nights of Azure is the only one I don't have a problem with - we didn't get the first; we're not getting the second. It's no surprise and I'll just import.

Blue Reflection sucks because there's now no portable version of the game. As I've said before, I would've definitely played it on Vita but I can't import a game that text-heavy; so it's just playing on PS4 down the line for me.

redcrayon

Really enjoying Ys VIII at the moment. The setup is really refreshing, watching the village of castaways grow over time really makes you feel attached to them. The feel of adventure, of being the first person in ages to see something, is there, that's what I play RPGs for. The 'landmark' system, cool sights for you to see just for the sense of wonder rather than main plot, are very nice too, the music is awesome as is the economy based entirely on trading with not a gold piece in sight. Even the cast, despite a couple of optional tedious party members (edgy loner guy and enthusiastic tagalong kid) are good, with fisherman Saleh and archeologist's daughter Laxia being comfortable outdoors and making for pleasant, competent companions rather than a menagerie of idiocy. The village is full of memorable characters with their own backstories and sidequests, all of which are simple but add a couple of extra background points to round them out. I'm only about halfway through but if this is the last Vita rpg I play, it's at least a memorable one.

Haha, we're having a day of it today. Not that anyone really cares, but the Killing Bites Vita game has been cancelled:

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/killing-bites-game-no-longer-development

In other news, anyone played both Dengeki Bunko games? I was planning on importing the US version of the first one, but I know the expansion released only in Japan. I'm not fussed about the story and I kinda want to be able to play as Tatsuya and Yuuki. Is it worth importing, or will I miss out on loads by it being in Japanese?

Ekid

Do you guys believe Sekai Project will be able to release even a single console title in 2017?

I saw in the comments on kickstarter that some of the backer of Root Double got their t-shirt earlier this month.

Game has been in QA for 9 months, it's gonna come out any day now.

It's never coming out.

oldmario

I have no problem with the series moving to Switch. The problem I have is that we've gotten 2/3rds of a trilogy on Vita and the third title exists for the platform, but we don't get to play it in English.

Since it exists; is being translated and the previous games clearly sold well enough for them to keep coming, it would've been nice if we could've just gotten a quick stick-it-up-on-PSN for those of us who don't have a Switch and don't mind playing Atelier with visual; performance or load compromises (which, judging by Nights of Azure 2, is coming anyway to Switch because Gust can't optimize lol).

In other Koei-Tecmo news that shouldn't surprise anyone, Attack on Titan 2 also skipping Vita in the west:

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/912225861935534080

Looks like Toukiden 2 will be the final Koei-Tecmo western Vita release. I suspect AoT2 will be the final Koei-Tecmo Vita release in general.

the Vita releases KT did while we were still on PS3 were okish but honestly as when they switched to doing PS4 stuff they ran as well as rocks in a blender

we should be glad Vita has even made it this far considering it has been "dead" every year and i think honestly that next year is going to be rough with the ESRB thing likely killing LRG release in favour of PS4 releases and publishers dropping Vita in support of Switch

we should be glad Vita has even made it this far considering it has been "dead" every year and i think honestly that next year is going to be rough with the ESRB thing likely killing LRG release in favour of PS4 releases and publishers dropping Vita in support of Switch

I know. I honestly think that's why it's so hard to stomach - every year since... 2013? I've been reading Vita's dead. I remember it ramped up in 2015 and I genuinely thought 2016 would be the last year. Then it was a fantastic year and this year has been too. It's odd to think it'll finally be drying up by next year.

It's made worse by the fact that Japan is still getting these games of course, but still.

I know. I honestly think that's why it's so hard to stomach - every year since... 2013? I've been reading Vita's dead. I remember it ramped up in 2015 and I genuinely thought 2016 would be the last year. Then it was a fantastic year and this year has been too. It's odd to think it'll finally be drying up by next year.

It's made worse by the fact that Japan is still getting these games of course, but still.

I just hope the visual novels keep coming. I'll be all aboard the switch train as it'll basically be the vita successor. My only issue is the size, I don't really see me taking it out for my train rides, like I do with my vita.

incpdo

We should just enjoy the amazing catalogue the console has , everthing else is just a plus.

Jimrpg

I just hope the visual novels keep coming. I'll be all aboard the switch train as it'll basically be the vita successor. My only issue is the size, I don't really see me taking it out for my train rides, like I do with my vita.

I'll probably get a Switch sometime in the next year or two as the third parties are starting to jump in, but the handheld that intrigues me the most is the GPD Win 2 next year. If the first one is anything to go by, it probably won't win any industrial design awards, but I'm very intrigued by the possibility of just having my entire Steam catalogue on the go.

That's 200 games I don't have to buy.

The current GPD Win can play Cold Steel with better settings than the current Vita, so GPD Win 2 should open up more of the PC catalogue.

Olengie

Haha, we're having a day of it today. Not that anyone really cares, but the Killing Bites Vita game has been cancelled:

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/killing-bites-game-no-longer-development

In other news, anyone played both Dengeki Bunko games? I was planning on importing the US version of the first one, but I know the expansion released only in Japan. I'm not fussed about the story and I kinda want to be able to play as Tatsuya and Yuuki. Is it worth importing, or will I miss out on loads by it being in Japanese?

Would personally import the PS4 release of Dengeki Bunko Ignition. You aren't missing much unless you truly want to know what happens.

Played the Vanilla version on my Vita and it was alright. Enjoyed it. Just wish they localized Ignition instead. Shame SEGA JPN decided to announce Ignition right before the US version of Vanilla Dengeki Bunko was about to release. Screwing them over. Honestly did not have the foresight to tell them to localize Ignition instead. :/

I'll probably get a Switch sometime in the next year or two as the third parties are starting to jump in, but the handheld that intrigues me the most is the GPD Win 2 next year. If the first one is anything to go by, it probably won't win any industrial design awards, but I'm very intrigued by the possibility of just having my entire Steam catalogue on the go.

That's 200 games I don't have to buy.

The current GPD Win can play Cold Steel with better settings than the current Vita, so GPD Win 2 should open up more of the PC catalogue.

That is true, I know that there are a bunch of games I want to try, but are only on pc. And my pc, is on it's last legs.

We should just enjoy the amazing catalogue the console has , everthing else is just a plus.

I know, and I absolutely respect that. I've said it before, but the games I already have on Vita alone are probably gonna last me until 2019. That's not counting anything that releases going forward.

Gust titles just hit a sore spot for me. They're like my favourite developer, up their with Falcom and Insomniac, and even when their games are bad I really love them. I know I can just buy it elsewhere, but Vita just works so perfectly for me and it's just a real shame.

I think I'm just tired and grumpy today anyway haha.

For some reason it intrigued me lol, too bad.

Me too - I had hoped it would be a decent Bloody Roar-esque fighting game lol.

Would personally import the PS4 release of Dengeki Bunko Ignition. You aren't missing much unless you truly want to know what happens.

Played the Vanilla version on my Vita and it was alright. Enjoyed it. Just wish they localized Ignition instead. Shame SEGA JPN decided to announce Ignition right before the US version of Vanilla Dengeki Bunko was about to release. Screwing them over. Honestly did not have the foresight to tell them to localize Ignition instead. :/

Is the story not worth seeing? You're the second person to say Ignition over vanilla so I'm leaning towards that. Although on Vita, obvi :p

Olengie

Is the story not worth seeing? You're the second person to say Ignition over vanilla so I'm leaning towards that. Although on Vita, obvi :p

Not much of a story. It basically is, "bumping into someone, getting mad, and then fight me!" plus saving the Dreamcast Girl from a Dark God or something. (Vanilla Fighting Climax)

Well. Ignition is the Improved Version after all and adds some new playable and assist characters.

autoduelist

I don't want a Switch. I'm happy being in one ecosystem for a variety of reasons. I'm probably picking up a 3ds to play etrian, but I still don't actually want to 'switch' permanently from vita.

I'm basically just hoping beyond hope Sony decides not to drop handhelds all together.

Oh, and I picked up Toukiden and Mary Skelter. I've played maybe the first 5 missions in Toukiden and it's feeling very repetitive so far [granted, I've only seen imps, worms, and spiders]. I'm realllllllly hoping this game gets better.

JDdelphin

Geez...
I just remembered Papers,Please was supposed to be out for the Vita ages ago- is it still in the works?

I'd love that game for my Vita...

I'm basically just hoping beyond hope Sony decides not to drop handhelds all together.

Personally, I just wish that Sony announces their new handheld, so half of VitaGAF can finally move on from 'Vita dying', and the other half of VitaGAF to announce for the nth time that they're never buying another console from Sony ever again.

mollipen

Not that it'll ever happen, but if we did another pixel doubling of the screen, that'd be just over 1080p (1088), which is not at all crazy to think of on a handheld.

Tape two Vitas together, give it that resolution bump and an SD card slot, make it play everything the current Vita can (Vita/PSP/Minis/PS1) and maybe PS2, and I'd be happy.

BHK3

Banned
Whats a good grip for a vita 2000? Despite me not being a big guy I find the vita just way too uncomfortable to handle, unless the vita 1000 is bigger? Like a lot bigger, with bigger buttons and bigger nub sticks?

https://www.play-asia.com/l2r2-button-grip-cover-for-pch-2000-black/13/708qs3

I was looking at this, any impressions? This backtouch screen thing just doesn't work at all for me, the area is too small/big and only responds to swipes, anyone that is able to play SFxT on this thing deserves an award. Plus freedom wars doesn't have a new or exciting control scheme so I have to claw hand to play it but that doesn't work on a small device like vita so I'm hoping this grip can help with that.

Also, I might not get this at all and instead get a vita tv, I heard there's a workaround to play all ps1 and vita games on it? Seems strange I can't play crash warped on the go.

Cursed Castilla just had trophies go up for Vita:

https://www.exophase.com/game/cursed-castilla-maldita-castilla-ex-psn-3/trophies/

eastasiasoft did a physical release of this on PS4, so potentially another developer they've convinced to port something across? Not bad at all.

Also new Hollow Realization DLC releases today:

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/sword-ar...apter-iii-one-resists-god-launches-today-west

Not much of a story. It basically is, "bumping into someone, getting mad, and then fight me!" plus saving the Dreamcast Girl from a Dark God or something. (Vanilla Fighting Climax)

Yeah, that's what I thought. That's an import the Japanese version then.

Thanks!

Yeah - move on to PSP3 dying. :<

I need to somehow get all of VitaGAF banned before that comes, then.

@VitaGAF: what's your favourite fanservice game? I'll create a thread for it.

But seriously, if VitaGAF will remain like that, I might as well avoid all community/general threads.

Ventara

I need to somehow get all of VitaGAF banned before that comes, then.

@VitaGAF: what's your favourite fanservice game? I'll create a thread for it.

But seriously, if VitaGAF will remain like that, I might as well avoid all community/general threads.

Yeah, I don't get what's the problem here. Something was cancelled and a few people expressed their displeasure. Is there supposed to be absolutely 0 reaction?

hey guys, i bought ffx2 off ebay just now

it was only $13, it probably contains english right?

just checking since im not sure

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fanta...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I mean, the description says it's the Japanese version, so no it won't have English language support.
Edit: With a closer look at the listing, the description claims it's the Asian release and the cover looks like the Asian version. You might have lucked out big time!

oldmario

I mean, the description says it's the Japanese version, so no it won't have English language support.
Edit: With a closer look at the listing, the description claims it's the Asian release and the cover looks like the Asian version. You might have lucked out big time!

Game is complete. This is a real physical copy imported from Asia. Opened but never played. Language is in English. Plays on all Vita region models

i'm guessing it's english lol but $10 for that is really good
regardless of the actual game

autoduelist

Not that it'll ever happen, but if we did another pixel doubling of the screen, that'd be just over 1080p (1088), which is not at all crazy to think of on a handheld.

Tape two Vitas together, give it that resolution bump and an SD card slot, make it play everything the current Vita can (Vita/PSP/Minis/PS1) and maybe PS2, and I'd be happy.

Definitely PS2. Make a handheld PS2 [plus everything else] and people will definitely come. The only massive issue would be getting around licensing issues. I still think licensing is part of the reason Sony decided to rework PS2 games on PS4. But if they could tap into a large ps2 library, and market that? Portable Nocturne.

Playing mobile games (Android) will most likely be prioritized over playing PS2 games.

Android would be relatively easy, though I don't know if Sony is willing to go that far due to potential security issues. PS2 would be bigger, I think? Though... having a Android device with proper controls would be a huge selling point too.

mollipen

Definitely PS2. Make a handheld PS2 [plus everything else] and people will definitely come. The only massive issue would be getting around licensing issues. I still think licensing is part of the reason Sony decided to rework PS2 games on PS4. But if they could tap into a large ps2 library, and market that? Portable Nocturne.

If I could have the PS2 digital games that I bought on the PS3... *drools* It's nice to dream sometimes.

Jimrpg

hey guys, i bought ffx2 off ebay just now

it was only $13, it probably contains english right?

just checking since im not sure, it says its japanese version in the listing but i dont think thats right

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fanta...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I think the guy meant to say Asian English version. Not Japanese version. Pretty sure the Asian English has Memory Card required on the front in English.

Nice find it’s like $30 new here!

incpdo

im really excited for steam world dig 2 i just need my paycheck and then the game will be mine !
The port seems excellent and the game looks awesome , i loved the first game so im pretty sure im gonna love this one.

Top Bottom