• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (~200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2017 Edition ||

Saphirax

on the other hand it really got your hopes up

come on guys what have i been saying for the last three years. not coven never coven.

Didn’t really get my hopes up. Just made me realize how oblivious NISA is when it comes to NIS’ games :p.

There’s always next year!

come on guys what have i been saying for the last three years. not coven never coven.

I've told NISA myself and they've responded as well but if you do talk to them today, let them know their output this year has been fucking amazing for me.

autoduelist

People said the same thing about Stranger in Sword City, now we have both versions.
People said the same thing about Demon Gaze 2.
And wasn't God Hunter 2 in that same boat?

The doomsayers all cry we're not getting something before it's announced, then fade into the distance as something does get announced. There's nothing wrong with getting our hopes up, that's what hope is for.

People play the Trails series for the story and characters. NISA would just butcher it. Ys and Danganronpa are proof enough.

While I haven't finished any yet, I definitely play for the combat system. I don't give a damn about a rpg's storyline, they just get in the way for me. D*Souls 'environment + atmosphere' with a hidden story for those who look is my favorite style. Trails makes me click x way too often, but has a combat system worth revisiting anyway.

Here's the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_Vita-only_games

I don't see any updates since March 25, 2014

Hmm. It must have updated since it has Macross Delta (Scramble) on there which only released last year. And Caligula Effect.

A few additions to the list:

- Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Venus
- Drive Girls
- Irregular at Magic High School: Out of Order
- Looney Tunes: Galactic Sports
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Force
- Moero Pirates
- Phineas & Ferb: Day of Doofensmirtz
- World Trigger: Borderless Mission

Of those, Gundam is the only one really worth getting though lol

AniHawk

Just made me realize how oblivious NISA is when it comes to NIS’ games :p.

they weren't oblivious to the nis release schedule.

autoduelist said:
People said the same thing about Stranger in Sword City, now we have both versions.
People said the same thing about Demon Gaze 2.
And wasn't God Hunter 2 in that same boat?

The doomsayers all cry we're not getting something before it's announced, then fade into the distance as something does get announced. There's nothing wrong with getting our hopes up, that's what hope is for.

it isn't doomsaying if it's reality though.

While I haven't finished any yet, I definitely play for the combat system. I don't give a damn about a rpg's storyline, they just get in the way for me. D*Souls 'environment + atmosphere' with a hidden story for those who look is my favorite style. Trails makes me click x way too often, but has a combat system worth revisiting anyway.

This would put you in the minority when it comes to something like Trails. While you may be happy with just having the combat system, most fans would not be happy if another company pushed it out earlier and did a sub par job on the localization. I honestly can't imagine playing a 40+ hour long jrpg, just to focus on combat that can be found better elsewhere, while ignoring the main focus of the game, which is the story.

This would put you in the minority when it comes to something like Trails. While you may be happy with just having the combat system, most fans would not be happy if another company pushed it out earlier and did a sub par job on the localization. I honestly can't imagine playing a 40+ hour long jrpg, just to focus on combat that can be found better elsewhere, while ignoring the main focus of the game, which is the story.
Same. I don't care much for Trails battle systems at all. For Cold Steel 1 I grabbed a save to pit me at level 99 so I could steamroll through battles cause I didn't care about them and didn't want to waste my time on them.
The story is fab, though.

autoduelist

Who are you to say what the majority viewpoint is? While I'll agree I'm on an extreme not caring about story at all, I'd bet the 'majority' would take a subpar localization over none at all.

Of course people won't be 'happy' with subpar, and would prefer great ones... but that doesn't translate to preferring nothing at all.

it isn't doomsaying if it's reality though.

And that's what they said about SoSC, etc.

I mean, seriously, what's the point of coming in threads like this and telling people what you think they won't get? What is the upside to that? Great, you don't think we will. I'm sure most of us don't think we will either. Who cares? Maybe we will. Hope is eternal.

Who are you to say what the majority viewpoint is? While I'll agree I'm on an extreme not caring about story at all, I'd bet the 'majority' would take a subpar localization over none at all.

Of course people won't be 'happy' with subpar, and would prefer great ones... but that doesn't translate to preferring nothing at all.

"None at all" isn't really on the table yet as Sen 3 just came out in Japan and whether it be Nisa, Xseed or Aksys (no chance) that picks it up, we won't even hear anything about it for several more months. It's pretty safe to assume that we will be getting it, which I personally would much rather take a delay with Xseed than it being pushed out faster by Nisa and having the translation being subpar.

AniHawk

And that's what they said about SoSC, etc.

I mean, seriously, what's the point of coming in threads like this and telling people what you think they won't get? What is the upside to that? Great, you don't think we will. I'm sure most of us don't think we will either. Who cares? Maybe we will. Hope is eternal.

i'd just prefer people not to get their hopes up over something that will definitely not happen.

true Gek

Yesterday I was finally able to preorder a physical copy of Axiom Verge for Vita.

In particular, I preordered it from Amazon.es. Two weeks ago the game was not eligible to be delivered in Italy but now it is. If you are interested and you are european VitaGaffers, I think that it could be a viable solution to buy it from Spain.

With shipments costs it was around 30€.

Shizuka

If you guys had to guess, which one would come first for the Vita: Dies Irae, Muv Luv, Fata Morgana or any Sekai Project title?

Tohsaka

i'd just prefer people not to get their hopes up over something that will definitely not happen.

Not saying you're wrong, but I don't see why they'd skip it since it's a game made by their parent company that sold well in Japan and even has a PS4 version now, yet they keep doing DRPGs made by other companies that were less well-received.

autoduelist

Give hope a chance. You imply you're being a force of positivity, when in fact, you're being negative. Your attitude is condescending as hell. It implies you're somehow smarter and more knowledgeable than everyone here, and that people here think it's likely or something. No, people understand what is and isn't likely. But hope exists for those moments, it's practically the meaning of hope. You're not some sort of living breathing public service announcement, you're not bettering lives keeping people from getting their hopes up - you're just being negative for negative's sake. '

There have been plenty of games we've gotten that others shouted down were impossible. Did they think they were doing something important? Or were they just more negative internet voices that had nothing better to do than try to kill the hope of others, because it made them feel special?

Shizuka

I'm pretty sure Coven will happen. If anyone knows either way, it's Anihawk. Still, I'm just interpreting the messages as lighthearted teases.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Nice little package.

36824956104_135476001b_b.jpg

Olengie

Sekai Project releasing a Vita game? Lol. We will be lucky to get Rabi Ribi in 2017 at all and it has been more than a year since their announced partnership with LRG.

Im still waiting to see if Grisaia Vita is actually a thing

AniHawk

Not saying you're wrong, but I don't see why they'd skip it since it's a game made by their parent company that sold well in Japan and even has a PS4 version now, yet they keep doing DRPGs made by other companies that were less well-received.

i have to say not coven never coven while in here because this is the vita thread.

heads up: 2018 is going to be the anti-2017 for ps vita. taste the sad, michael.

oldmario

Sekai Project releasing a Vita game? Lol. We will be lucky to get Rabi Ribi in 2017 at all and it has been more than a year since their announced partnership with LRG.

Im still waiting to see if Grisaia Vita is actually a thing

we already have it
on the EU store

i-Jest

i have to say not coven never coven while in here because this is the vita thread.

heads up: 2018 is going to be the anti-2017 for ps vita. taste the sad, michael.

That's fine, since that can be the year I start importing games for fan translation play throughs finally.

Steel your hearts against the worst my brethren and sistren.

BTA

Anything Vita related from Sekai Project will be like this.

0DmrW.gif

I mean the incredibly delays are one thing.

It's the not even updating their Kickstarters (at least in Root Double's case, the one I care about) to at least say as much that's incredibly unprofessional.

Olengie

I mean the incredibly delays are one thing.

It's the not even updating their Kickstarters (at least in Root Double's case, the one I care about) to at least say as much that's incredibly unprofessional.

"Hey guys. We're still working on the Vita. But in the meantime, please support this other Kickstarter!"

At least they stopped dangling the Vita carrot. I think

BTA

"Hey guys. We're still working on the Vita. But in the meantime, please support this other Kickstarter!"

At least they stopped dangling the Vita carrot. I think

I mean I'd rather see how they'd try to explain "we've been QA testing it for 6 months" than have silence. They've got a bad enough rep for not releasing the Vita games; silence just makes it even worse.

Ironically most of their non-Vita games that I've been interested in still haven't come out either.

Olengie

I mean I'd rather see how they'd try to explain "we've been QA testing it for 6 months" than have silence. They've got a bad enough rep for not releasing the Vita games; silence just makes it even worse.

Ironically most of their non-Vita games that I've been interested in still haven't come out either.

RIP Grisaia.
I still want it.

Ah, here we go again. "2018 is the last year for Vita" is the new "2016 is the last year for Vita", right Ani? :p

To be fair, I can see where where autoduelist is coming from. I know you just try to keep expectations down or whatever, but you only ever seem to come in this thread to tell us xyz isn't happening; Vita is sales vampire; this will be the last year of exclusives/releases/the universe etc. It's a little tiring. Maybe change your avatar or something so it's not an automatic "oh, great" when we see you posting :p

Even when it's good news (Demon Gaze II announcement) you manage to put a downer on it somehow.

Besides, we're still getting Digimon & Mana in 2018 which is two more bigger IP's than I would have expected based on all your comments. Although I can't get too frustrated since you used an Arrested Development quote. Just maybe taste the happy, Michael, every now and again :p

Still, Vita is gonna be in its 7th year soon. I'm pretty sure you're going to finally be right about the whole "final year" stuff, just by attrition lol.

(By the way, does anti-2017 mean the opposite of 2017? So, when we get multi-plat games announced in Japan they won't skip over the Vita version in the west? If so, yay)

But it looks like its just the PS4 version and not the Vita version.

Yeah, I just saw that. Apparently it's a musou game as well, too bad.

Yeah, it's musou. Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LM9x5fj6to

Disappointing choice. Gintama would be better suited to like, a Yakuza or Akiba's Trip-style open-world-y quest game. But that probably costs too much money.

Still, Bamco funded the flop that was Crows so I'm sure it wouldn't cost much more to make a non-musou.

re. Vita Asian-English release, we got a comment on their twitter:

We'll let you know if anything comes up about that. �� Please stay tuned!

So it's possible I guess, especially since we haven't heard anything else about the Asian-English release at all since then.

Ah, here we go again. "2018 is the last year for Vita" is the new "2016 is the last year for Vita", right Ani? :p

To be fair, I can see where where autoduelist is coming from. I know you just try to keep expectations down or whatever, but you only ever seem to come in this thread to tell us xyz isn't happening; Vita is sales vampire; this will be the last year of exclusives/releases/the universe etc. It's a little tiring. Maybe change your avatar or something so it's not an automatic "oh, great" when we see you posting :p

Even when it's good news (Demon Gaze II announcement) you manage to put a downer on it somehow.

Besides, we're still getting Digimon & Mana in 2018 which is two more bigger IP's than I would have expected based on all your comments. Although I can't get too frustrated since you used an Arrested Development quote. Just maybe taste the happy, Michael, every now and again :p

Still, Vita is gonna be in its 7th year soon. I'm pretty sure you're going to finally be right about the whole "final year" stuff, just by attrition lol.

(By the way, does anti-2017 mean the opposite of 2017? So, when we get multi-plat games announced in Japan they won't skip over the Vita version in the west? If so, yay)

Yeah, it's musou. Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LM9x5fj6to

Disappointing choice. Gintama would be better suited to like, a Yakuza or Akiba's Trip-style open-world-y quest game. But that probably costs too much money.

Still, Bamco funded the flop that was Crows so I'm sure it wouldn't cost much more to make a non-musou.

re. Vita Asian-English release, we got a comment on their twitter:

So it's possible I guess, especially since we haven't heard anything else about the Asian-English release at all since then.

If the Gintama Vita port is decent I know I'll end up with it. But did Crows actually get released? I was eager to plat that even when it went PS4 only but heard nothing of it for ages.

AniHawk

2017 caught me by surprise all-around. i think it's one of the best years in gaming (possibly the best) and the vita happened to benefit from that. in 2016, it didn't seem at all like there would be a market in 2017 for the machine, but the sheer volume of games hitting constantly on ps4 that had vita counterparts made it easier to support it. however, the decline from 2016 was still noticeable. the biggest thing is that only online retailers carry games anymore, aside from gamestop. 2018 is going to be a big shift because the switch is basically like what a successful sony platform would be like for third parties. games for japanese devs out in the west are selling like psp titles were in 2005-2008. and the system has been on the way out even in japan, with sony going out of their way to denounce handhelds as a viable platform (yikes). i also think it speaks volumes as to what kind of company sony is when things get tough. they dropped support from this thing wholesale in order to chase the vr dragon - a half-assed, more costly venture with a much smaller userbase. they would have been better suited at seeing what the marketplace really responds to or finding a way to deliver actual ps4 games portably. not only did nintendo eat their lunch in this realm, but they showed what kind of platform provider they are by backing the obviously failed wii u into 2016 and stretching the final bit of support into the next platform's launch, when they could have turtled up around 3ds instead. the contrast is pretty striking to me and it's had a lasting impression to people with some say in the platforms that get support.

2018 obviously will see some more games. nisa has penny-punching princess, the longest five minutes (finally), and the lost child are hitting the platform, but only digitally - a pattern started this year with the touhou games. i'm actually surprised vita fans were cool with the announcements outside of dg2 considering it meant the other games were digital-only (although there was a bit of downplaying it due to dg2 being an honest surprise at this point). idea factory and aksys would probably continue their support where possible because they're even smaller. atlus/sega is up in the air with persona, but i think they'll do it if they can get a port out for ps4 at the same time. 2018 being a combination of a continued downward trend for sales, even digitally, and the switch delivering on a userbase that makes sense means that the vita is a waste of overhead at a certain point. 2017 was a year where things that seemed like they shouldn't happen did happen (tokyo tattoo girls what). 2018 is the year where supposed 'easy money' won't happen despite there once being an audience for certain things on the machine.

on the plus side, the vita is one of the most successful failed system of all times. the fact that the platform continues to move software at all despite the first-party dropping support in 2014 and then dropped it from messaging shortly thereafter is a pretty big testament to the fanbase. it's completing its sixth year on the market soon and managed to outlast the dreamcast, saturn, gamecube, and wii u in terms of lifespan in terms of notable releases (dreamcast got support forever but i wouldn't really count a lot of it as viable for more than the nichest of companies). i think without the vita fanbase, the system would have died with sub-10m numbers in 2014. instead, sales are probably closer to 15m or more.

If the Gintama Vita port is decent I know I'll end up with it. But did Crows actually get released? I was eager to plat that even when it went PS4 only but heard nothing of it for ages.

Crows released for PS4-only eventually. I think it was sub 10k in sales in Japan, hence why I called it a flop (because it didn't look like the cheapest of games to make).

2018 obviously will see some more games. nisa has penny-punching princess, the longest five minutes (finally), and the lost child are hitting the platform, but only digitally - a pattern started this year with the touhou games. i'm actually surprised vita fans were cool with the announcements outside of dg2 considering it meant the other games were digital-only (although there was a bit of downplaying it due to dg2 being an honest surprise at this point). idea factory and aksys would probably continue their support where possible because they're even smaller. atlus/sega is up in the air with persona, but i think they'll do it if they can get a port out for ps4 at the same time. 2018 being a combination of a continued downward trend for sales, even digitally, and the switch delivering on a userbase that makes sense means that the vita is a waste of overhead at a certain point. 2017 was a year where things that seemed like they shouldn't happen did happen (tokyo tattoo girls what). 2018 is the year where supposed 'easy money' won't happen despite there once being an audience for certain things on the machine.

on the plus side, the vita is one of the most successful failed system of all times. the fact that the platform continues to move software at all despite the first-party dropping support in 2014 and then dropped it from messaging shortly thereafter is a pretty big testament to the fanbase. it's completing its sixth year on the market soon and managed to outlast the dreamcast, saturn, gamecube, and wii u in terms of lifespan in terms of notable releases (dreamcast got support forever but i wouldn't really count a lot of it as viable for more than the nichest of companies). i think without the vita fanbase, the system would have died with sub-10m numbers in 2014. instead, sales are probably closer to 15m or more.

That's... probably the most positive thing I've ever seen you post in here, so kudos.

I mean, I'm a physical collector pretty much, but I understand the logistics of why things have to go digital-only so that's why I don't get too frustrated about things like The Lost Child. Although it is always a big question mark for me why NISA can't just do a limited edition and stick it on their store like they have done in the past. Don't need retailers to be on board with the machine for that.

I'm guessing your 'easy money' comment and constant posts about Coven means I really shouldn't expect that one though. It's strange, because NISA have never skipped the Vita version of a game in the past, but I suppose it has to start somewhere if the machine keeps getting games in Japan.

AniHawk

That's... probably the most positive thing I've ever seen you post in here, so kudos.

I mean, I'm a physical collector pretty much, but I understand the logistics of why things have to go digital-only so that's why I don't get too frustrated about things like The Lost Child. Although it is always a big question mark for me why NISA can't just do a limited edition and stick it on their store like they have done in the past. Don't need retailers to be on board with the machine for that.

I'm guessing your 'easy money' comment and constant posts about Coven means I really shouldn't expect that one though. It's strange, because NISA have never skipped the Vita version of a game in the past, but I suppose it has to start somewhere if the machine keeps getting games in Japan.

it's actually easier to do what you're suggesting in europe than it is the us, when it comes to vita games on nisa's store. a rose in the twilight for example just squeaked over the moq when two years ago the firefly diary did more than double the sales. more than that, if there was a physical release on their store, it would harm retail sales of standard edition games.

retailers don't look at the overall demand for a product and order accordingly, like i think they should. instead, they order per sku. so a limited edition ordering really well at retail means that standard edition orders will be a lot lower, because people will only preorder the limited edition. unless you're atlus and essentially make the limited edition available in enormous quantities. this philosophy extends to everything out there, including games on different platforms. if a company was to hog all the vita fans to themselves, it's likely there would be fewer ps4 sales, which is in turn harmful for the company and their ability to support the fans of that genre or franchise in the future.

and actually, the vita isn't exactly why i was so down on the vita in the marketplace - it was the psp. right around late 2010, the bottom dropped out from that market very suddenly. games that would have easily matched 2007-2009 sales were coming in at a quarter of them instead. the big worry was that it would happen with the vita at any moment, especially with sony going out of their way to publicly announce how they were dropping support. the big difference is that the psp didn't have the extremely hardcore fanbase that the vita did. it was closer to the 3ds, which was seen as more disposable by its fans because something else was coming. but this wasn't a consideration of mine until earlier this year.

also, while there's a lot of 'ooooh, vita fans aren't going to like this...' i know there's a lot of work done in order to make sure they don't feel left out. the vita standard editions of v3 and ys viii lacked the special goodies in those versions at launch, but it was done in a way so that people with a limited edition would get the same as the ps4 owners instead (with vita limited edition buyers getting the day one edition soundtrack from the ps4 release as its own separate thing). i don't think there's a lot of companies that consider the fanbase disposable out of the ones who are left at this point. for a lot of these companies, the vita is what kept the lights on since the death of the ps3 and psp (the ps4 is actually not super great!). so if you start seeing them wind down on support, it really is because of the realities of the marketplace closing in on them.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Is the vita userbase so insignificant (in the sense of not profitable) that it's not worth spending on the development of a new portable, consequentially dispersing or losing these customers instead of maintaining them? I mostly mean the userbase in japan.

I kinda already know the answer to this but i don't know, it seems like a waste, the prospects of sony never making another portable.

Top Bottom