• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update: ’90s Arcade Racer and Wii U

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://blog.nicalis.com/2014/02/update-90s-arcade-racer-and-wii-u/

As you probably know, part of working together brought along the opportunity develop and publish ’90s Arcade Racer for Wii U (among other places). The development is moving along well and for this update we’ll share some details related to the Wii U version of the game and our plans.

Without getting into minutia that we’re probably not allowed to share in great detail, some things that worked on PC couldn’t be ported exactly Wii U without having affecting how the game performs on the Nintendo console–and probably other consoles, too. However, we’re very happy with the results. Fidelity, image quality and a smooth framerate are our priorities. Detractors note, Wii U is proving very capable of running the game at 60fps at 720p with 4xMSAA and FXAA resulting in a crystal clear image. It’s simply beautiful.

Many of you have emailed us asking for a release date, unfortunately it’s hard to give you a solid date but mid 2014 is our goal for now.
Wii_U_90AR.png

WiiU_Shot_02.png

Tripon

I'll take this game at 720p. Most likely I am going to double and triple dip. Hope there's a bundle price or something.

liquidtmd

Banned
I don't know why, I just think this project will collapse / not release

No facts to back this. Just a gut feeling. I dont know why. Ignore me.

I want to believe....just somethings amiss

(Reminder: I'm Tyrone Rodriguez, from Nicalis and one of the developers on this game)

The Wii U is actually perfectly capable of doing 1080p, but we wanted to give that up so we can add more visual effects and polish. With AA, running at 720p/60fps the visual fidelity is negligible given that we can add more effects.

So I guess it is easier to produce a game with 4XMSAA AND FXAA running at 720p than a game just running at straight up 1080p?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
(Reminder: I'm Tyrone Rodriguez, from Nicalis and one of the developers on this game)

The Wii U is actually perfectly capable of doing 1080p, but we wanted to give that up so we can add more visual effects and polish. With AA, running at 720p/60fps the visual fidelity is negligible given that we can add more effects.

Interesting information, thanks!

I almost forgot about the game. The Wii U version is looking mighty fine. I just love how they nailed that Sega look. That blue sky and those palm trees, man. So good.

D-e-f-

Banned

Yo Tyrone, can we hope for a European release this time? There's this gaping hole where a lot of Nicalis games should be on the EU eShops :(

I guess advertising works! :)

Same here.

I've been going to the websites advertised on the billboards within the game on the screenshot in the OP.

We're planning on it, but each platform is different as far as what it can do. At least 2P local on Wii U is ideal given that one player can use the pad and another can use the tv.

Damn, that looks nice. Will buy day one. Any local multiplayer?

Looks good. Hope it has good handling. Only arcade racers I've really every played are Burnout and Asphalt. Could do with a good one soon.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Huh. Thought that was announced on the KS. Well you would know better than me. Glad to know. So is the 360 version still being developed as well?

I think you confuse this with Project C.A.R.S. maybe?

The game is looking great. 720p 60fps? Perfect for my day 1 buy. Hopefully it will come in Europe day 1.

I guess advertising works! :)

We're planning on it, but each platform is different as far as what it can do. At least 2P local on Wii U is ideal given that one player can use the pad and another can use the tv.

Double screen multiplayer? Where do I pre-order? Wait, I backed this already. :) And if that's just for PC, I'll double dip for double screen MP.

Drainer

Banned
I'm SLIGHTLY less excited for this since Daytona USA HD came out, but I think I'll stick pick this up on WiiU (or PS4/One) when it comes either way. Loved my 90's arcade racers.

I want the WiiU version so I don't worry about achievements/trophies tapping into my OCD and ruining the experience.

One of my more anticipated titles for Wii U; glad to hear it's on track and looking sharp.

It's going to be a fantastic year for racing games with this, Fast Racing NEO, Project CARS and MK8.

xemumanic

Unity is not a dev kit, Unity is an engine.

I know, I'm saying it wrong..............isn't Unity a part of the XB1 indie SDK now? as in, it comes with it? I need to find that list of indie publishers I was talking about that has Nicalis on it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm confused by what platforms this is coming to because Tyrone has quoted the guy talking about Project CARS.

Taker666

I hope Nicalis won't delay the Wii U version and bow to Microsoft's Xbox policy of not allowing games to release later on their system.

XB1 deserves to miss out if that shitty policy is still in place.

Bog

Junior Ace
Looks gorgeous, but SOOOO many horrible ad billboards. VGPodcasts.com? Was this a kickstarter donor level or something?

Top Bottom