• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update: Factor 5 Wii Project (OH NOES)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
TODAY IN FUTURE WII THREAD NEWS:

*images of Factor 5 Wii game*

WiiFan: "Wow amazing looks so good all other third party devs shamed I totally care about graphics now and am hopeful about the gameplay due to Factor 5's proven track record!"

But later in future town, WiiFan plays the game...

WiiFan: "Shit..."
Amazing Kreskin...Is that you?

Kevtones said:
I think we're getting a LAIR prequel called Baby Dragons
Correction: Imagine: Baby Dragonz (to be published by Ubisoft.)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ivysaur12 said:
At least it'll look good.

And that's about it.

The funny thing is, Julian wasn't far from expressing the same sentiment himself :lol

"Whatever we're working on will at least blow you away in a lot of the technical aspects"

At least they know their role :p

Anyway, in an attempt at being constructive, I hope they sort out their art department. When they had the benefit of someone else's art style - parachuted in from the star wars universe - their games did indeed look (relatively) great. But then when they lost that and had to rely on their own original concept, they managed to (IMO) uglify their game, despite the technology underneath it. I didn't play Lair, but that was my feeling based on the released media for it (with the sole exception of some of the media from that city level). It was overall aesthetically very displeasing, to me.

Star Fox will be perfect to F5 handle. Just AVOID AT ALL COSTS foot missions. It'll be nice to have some non-linear levels like Rogue Squadron series and other ones like classic SF stuff. Let them work with together with EAD and a dream Star Fox game may be in the works.

zoukka

Star Wars flight game want. With MP3 style cockpit controls (I want that steel battalion, heavy, metal, clunky, JAB THE SHIT OUT OF THIS OLD PIECE OF JUNK MILLENIUM FALCON feeling) and a scene where you fight with Wii-saber. POINTER CONTROLS!

Would be the game of the generation.

Starfox 4.9 would be nice too.

nightside

TheGreatDave said:
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's not talking about graphics, just what they can do in the engine. That's quite a bit different when you think about it. You don't need a PS3 GPU to do the stuff in Lair at 480i and degraded graphics, and maybe that's what he means.

He already said sometime ago that they wanted to re-use some parts of the lair engine, iirc he was talking about dataflow or stuff like that....

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Pit's Crossbow Training.

It's not like you can ruin Kid Icarus (since it's already awful), and as long as it's all flight (with no shoehorned waggle), it'll be good. I actually enjoyed the RS games.

LCGeek

formerly sane
nightside said:
He already said sometime ago that they wanted to re-use some parts of the lair engine, iirc he was talking about dataflow or stuff like that....

Yeah he talked about how it started out in a beta form on the architecture but how much it changed. Wouldn't surprise me if F5 did figure out how to make the render elements work on Wii they did better rendering on GC than anyone by miles. If the art and gameplay matched it be heaven but nintendo should infuse their teams with this one and then make published games.

gofreak said:
The funny thing is, Julian wasn't far from expressing the same sentiment himself :lol

At least they know their role :p

Anyway, in an attempt at being constructive, I hope they sort out their art department. When they had the benefit of someone else's art style - parachuted in from the star wars universe - their games did indeed look (relatively) great. But then when they lost that and had to rely on their own original concept, they managed to (IMO) uglify their game, despite the technology underneath it. I didn't play Lair, but that was my feeling based on the released media for it (with the sole exception of some of the media from that city level). It was overall aesthetically very displeasing, to me.

no, thats no quite correct. the art for lair was pretty good actually, it was the realisation of the art that wasn't up to par. Even given their history, overall lair wasn't actually a very great looking game. It had impressive scale, good geometry, and some nice textures in parts, but there was a lot of colour contrasts, jaggies, bloom, some weak textures, barren environments, flickering.

It was definitely impressive in parts, but the game looked rough...somebody could probably make an amazing looking game with the engine, if they refined aspects of it, but Lair, was less than the sum of its parts....

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
shinsnake said:
Are you being serious? Did you miss the first three pages?
OMGWTFBBQ!!! I MISSED TWO LONG-WINDED TOW CABLE JOKES AND SOMEHOW NOTICED THE QUICK PUNCHY JOKE INSTEAD!!!

Moral of the story? "Brevity is the soul of wit" OR "Don't be an asshat, shinsnake". Take your pick.

CaVaYeRo

IAmtheFMan said:
You didn't make the title controversial enough!

Thread should've read:
Factor 5's Julian Eggrebecht sez Wii power = PS3

I guess that, of course, he means in the effects / shader department, which it's not the first time he says you can achieve similar results by using the TEV

RG: Can it be because of their tools? That it would be easier if the Wii had standard shader effects... or is it a matter of work because you have to prepare the shaders for yourself?

JE: The one thing which makes it probably harder for developers who are coming from the traditional direction is that the shader system inside the hardware works quite differently, you have something more right about that than the traditional AGI and the video pipelines. Because the thinking back when the basic graphics hardware structure was developed was to get very, very efficient, that hotwired a lot of things. But there're many possibilities in terms of how to use that hotwiring and actually rewire it, if you're clever about it. If you connect you can get a lot of shader effects which would've been on the 360 or the PS3.

http://www.revogamers.net/articulos...-y-el-desarrollo-de-la-potencia-de-Wii-6.html

BTW, he keeps repeating all that stuff since the first Wii 3rd party games. Now it's the time for him to show a new mark.

Crushed said:
Pit's Crossbow Training.

It's not like you can ruin Kid Icarus (since it's already awful), and as long as it's all flight (with no shoehorned waggle), it'll be good. I actually enjoyed the RS games.

I've always thought an IGAvania Kid Icarus would be amazing. With A. Kojima style sprites and all.

Kevtones said:
I think we're getting a LAIR prequel called Baby Dragons

SP-8190Dragon-Tales-2-Posters.jpg

In all seriousness I expect a completely dumbed-down Star Fox game aimed at a casual audience that sends the franchise in the complete opposite direction of where the core fanbase wants it to go.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
BrodiemanTTR said:
In all seriousness I expect a completely dumbed-down Star Fox game aimed at a casual audience that sends the franchise in the complete opposite direction of where the core fanbase wants it to go.
Yeah, it'll probably be on-rails or something and not even let you pick your vehicles.

Mashing

doomed1 said:
as long as they license the engine, i couldn't care less.

That's the best thing about Factor 5 doing Wii games is that they will build an engine. They're like ID in that regard.

BrodiemanTTR said:

Make exercise with Crystal!! using the wiiboard!!

DAY ONE BABY!!!

jarrod

Banned
Well... at least it's not Scamco again. :lol

An EAD team up (a la Argonaut circa Star Fox/Stunt Race FX) is about the only way I'll touch this project. Fingers crossed...

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
BrodiemanTTR said:

You don't want to know where the core fanbase wants it to go.

BrodiemanTTR said:

Isn't it far to late?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
BrodiemanTTR said:
That's not the core fanbase. That's something else. Something...terrible.

They should do that though. Just think of the potential for Scott Ramsoomair to do a tie-in comic for it.

Failing that, just go back to the roots and make sure it's called Lylat Wars when it gets released in Europe. That should make everyone happy.
Except Scott Ramsoomair.

stuminus3

Wow, this thread sure does lend itself well to the common misconception that only children play videogames.

I'm looking forward to seeing what their engine can do, regardless of what the game turns out like. Factor 5 have always been hit-or-miss when it comes to actual games, but I'm a sucker for seeing what can be produced within the context of a particular piece of hardware, so whatever they produce I'm sure will at least be "worth a rental" to me.

Top Bottom