• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update: Marvel got rights back to X-Men and Fantastic Four

Kayhan

Bring them home!

537ba8e5a36c4.jpg

2829952-jj_galactus.jpg

69c9e3da9f43103911309f8d4ec0371b.jpg

Corey31

Why didn't they include a clause that said that every 10-20 years the license needs to be reviewed and renewed by both parties?

At the time that Marvel licensed out their characters they were in severe financial trouble. They desperately needed the money and had very little they could have done to get the upper hand during negotiations.

This also was years before Disney buying them was even a consideration. At the time they didn't think they would be owned by a company that would make movies.

Stan Lee speaking = Stan Lee spouting bullshit.

The X-Men is such a fucking amazing property that even the shittiest movies are well received and the least successful still make tons of money.

They made one semi legit X-Men movie and it crushed every other film in the series on a miniscule budget with YouTube marketing.

That Fox can't grasp how they're holding back the golden goose with shuler, singer, and kinberg doesn't negate the obvious and inherent appeal of the best superhero franchise in the world.

At the time that Marvel licensed out their characters they were in severe financial trouble. They desperately needed the money and had very little they could have done to get the upper hand during negotiations.

None of this is correct.

Mael

mainstream superhero comics are a constant cycle of events interrupting long form storylines and reboots to the same ol status quo so I understand not liking them but you said comics in general so that's another thing.

Yeah this is why I hate mainstream superhero comics.

The X-Men movies actively piss me off though and are so far away from the awesome X-Men that I loved growing up. The heart of the X-Men isn't the same, so fuck Fox for that.

It's a take on a popular franchise.
Kinda like with the DC movies, they're that director's view of the property.
I mean look at Batman. That's a rollercoaster if there's one.
For the Fox movies, you don't really need to have watched all the movies to get what's going on and you certainly don't have parts that feels like useless filler.
I'll take the Fox Xmen movies instead of waiting for Marvel to do a spinoff for each and every character under the Sun with a big event movie every 3 years or so.

If Fox can't be arsed to make something valuable with F4, they should GTFO with that.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I can't think of a reason why Fox would even consider that. And even on the other end, I can't think of why Marvel would shell out an obnoxious amount of money to get them back. Marvel Studios can only make so many movies at once and release so many in 1 year. Why pay all that money for the X-Men when you have the cache in Hollywood to turn the more obscure characters you do have into blockbusters? You get more money in merchandising doing the latter cause now you're selling Rocket Racoon and Groot backpacks instead of just X-Men ones.

I know fans don't like hearing it, but you're better off with things being spread out a little. More opportunities for seeing characters.

Maybe the Fantastic Four...I could see taking some cash for them if you truly believe getting the franchise off the ground is impossible. But the X-Men? I don't see it

Stan Lee speaking = Stan Lee spouting bullshit.

The X-Men is such a fucking amazing property that even the shittiest movies are well received and the least successful still make tons of money.

They made one semi legit X-Men movie and it crushed every other film in the series on a miniscule budget with YouTube marketing.

That Fox can't grasp how they're holding back the golden goose with shuler, singer, and kinberg doesn't negate the obvious and inherent appeal of the best superhero franchise in the world.

bolded = so truth, all due respect to the Man. He's always a boisterous salesman.

italic = eh, it was in the 90s. Spider-Man or Batman are more likely "the best"(whatever that really means) superhero franchise in the world

Totally agree it doesn't make sense for Fox to give it up unless they have a string of underperforming films like Spidey did and it's better to just take the money and put your professional pride aside while Marvel makes your films for you.

Nobody's going back for a while unless they get a sharing deal ala Sony. The success of Daredevil probably makes any holders want to try over and over until they get it right.

Honestly, X-MEN is such a shitshow for continuity that they are probably best separate anyway. FF is nice for pride and the rogues but the catalogue is already ridiculously large. It's totally a nice to have but wholly unnecessary at this point. Only reason I could see it is because the one threat bigger than Thanos is a planned Doom.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I mean, they'd be dumb to not try, but honestly those are two of the deepest Marvel properties there are. Fox would be dumb as fuck to give them up. X-Men is a property that can legit support a "cinematic universe" like everyone is trying for these days. Fantastic Four...well honestly just one good iteration would probably make enough money to cancel out many bad iterations.

At most I can see them making a Spiderman type deal where they can use them in their movies for FOX is also still free to do whatever they want on their own

Caj814

Fox is two more 100 - 200 million dollar fantastic four flops from selling the rights back to Marvel and just doubling down on the X-Men universe IMHO. Three flops in a row and they will bail I bet.

After the last one I think they just did it out of spite

fernoca

X-Men as part of the current MCU, mixing Hugh, Patrick, Ian with Downey, Evans, Ruffalo, etc...would've been perfect.

But with the current Avengers on their way out, Downey stepping out of Iron Man and the rest likely to do the same; finally introducing X-Men to it...and with new actors to boot would be just bad.

Maybe for the next phase or whatever, but needs to be from the beginning. Bit seeing Fox will be releasing Deadpool 2, New Mutants and X-Men all next year and currently working on others, don't see them letting go easily.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If Marvel ever does get the rights back, I feel like it would be weird seeing a whole bunch of superpowered people get discriminated against just because their powers are gotten from a mutation as opposed to an accident or whatever.

But then again, since it's a metaphor for real life discrimination that is based on such arbitrary things like skin color and sexual orientation, in that context it might not be so far fetched after all.

Yeah this is why I hate mainstream superhero comics.

It's a take on a popular franchise.
Kinda like with the DC movies, they're that director's view of the property.
I mean look at Batman. That's a rollercoaster if there's one.
For the Fox movies, you don't really need to have watched all the movies to get what's going on and you certainly don't have parts that feels like useless filler.
I'll take the Fox Xmen movies instead of waiting for Marvel to do a spinoff for each and every character under the Sun with a big event movie every 3 years or so.

If Fox can't be arsed to make something valuable with F4, they should GTFO with that.

I'll take quality over quantity any day. Most the X-men films are trash. Repetitive trash, at that. I get it, Wolverine, Xavier, Magneto, & Mystique who is more a blonde woman than a blue skinned mutant, at this point. The just completely miss the point. Fuck most of those movies. The X-men were so awesome when I was a kid. They were diverse and expansive, not focused on the same 4 characters.

I'll take quality over quantity any day. Most the X-men films are trash. Repetitive trash, at that. I get it, Wolverine, Xavier, Magneto, & Mystique who is more a blonde woman than a blue skinned mutant, at this point. The just completely miss the point. Fuck most of those movies. The X-men were so awesome when I was a kid. They were diverse and expansive, not focused on the same 4 characters.
So what is the point of Xmen if not a parable on the wrongs of racism and discrimination? That it has lots of characters?

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
I could see them Selling fantastic four as theres very little money to be made there, but i dont really see if marvel would want to make fantastic four film

I mean all i want if silver surfer, doom, and galactus

I doubt they will ever sell xmen unless for a ridiculous star wars like price, espcially in the peak superhero market

Mael

Ironically I agree that quality over quantity is better which is exactly why I don't want Marvel to touch it.
And seriously you're sounding like Xmen were cool because you were a kid not because it was any good.
I can do without the 90's kind of Xmen myself but more than that I sure as hell can do without the marvel treatment.

Decado

FOX has turned things around lately so I rather they keep them as long as they keep making quality r-rated films. Marvel won't do that, so they are automatically the worse option.

So what is the point of Xmen if not a parable on the wrongs of discrimination? That it has lots of characters?

What's the point of a parable on the wrongs of discrimination that focuses exclusively on pretty white people? The four mutants they focus on could go about their lives hardly ever be discriminated against if they didn't use their powers.

Remember the X-Men cartoon where the audience segregate character was a female Chinese American orphan that was saved by an X-Men group that had mutants who were people of color who were leaders, mutants from other countries, mutants who were physically deformed.

Storm was probably the most popular female superhero in the 90s, DC included. And these X-Men movies have basically completely sidelined and ignored her, for what exactly?

These X-men movies completely miss their mark, to me. It's unforgivable to have so many great characters and you do jack shit with them. But at least they green lit another scruffy anti-hero with Gambit. Man, fuck Fox's X-Men. They were the most popular superhero franchise but X-Men suck hard these days and it's Fox's fault.

What's the point of a parable on the wrongs of discrimination that focuses exclusively on pretty white people? The four mutants they focus on could go about their lives hardly ever be discriminated against if they didn't use their powers.

Remember the X-Men cartoon where the audience segregate character was a female Chinese American orphan that was saved by an X-Men group that had mutants who were people of color who were leaders, mutants from other countries, mutants who were physically deformed.

Storm was probably the most popular female superhero in the 90s, DC included. And these X-Men movies have basically completely sidelined and ignored her, for what exactly?

These X-men movies completely miss their mark, to me. It's unforgivable to have so many great characters and you do jack shit with them. But at least they green lit another scruffy anti-hero with Gambit. Man, fuck Fox's X-Men. They were the most popular superhero franchise but X-Men suck hard these days and it's Fox's fault.
So what you're saying is that if kid-Magneto had just continued to never use his mutant powers, he'd not have had anything to worry about?

are you going to be purposely obtuse about this and completely miss my point? When is the last time a film has focused on Magneto as a kid?
Well I mean his experience as a Jew growing up in Nazi Germany is pretty informative to his character and motivations as a whole which they show in nearly all the movies, and with it being a real life example of discrimination taken to its limit, I'd say the movies were probably closer to "the point" of Xmen than you, or at least that's currently how I feel on the matter.

But you're right, they didn't make Storm the primary protagonist, they didn't feature Jubilee beyond small bit parts, and they aren't being made by Marvel, so the Xmen movies must be shit.

Well I mean his experience as a Jew growing up in Nazi Germany is pretty informative to his character and motivations as a whole which they show in nearly all the movies, and with it being a real life example of discrimination taken to its limit, I'd say the movies were probably closer to "the point" of Xmen than you, or at least that's currently how I feel on the matter.

But you're right, they didn't make Storm the primary protagonist, they didn't feature Jubilee beyond small bit parts, and they aren't being made by Marvel, so the Xmen movies must be shit.

So you really are going to double down on being obtuse, purposefully missing and mischaracterizing my point.

You're right, the X-men movies are awesome with their repetitive and myopic focus on the same 4 characters out of the literal thousands they own the rights to. Magneto grew up in Nazi Germany, so they should pound his character into the ground for another 5 films while marginalizing every other character of note who couldn't possibly have their own tales of discrimination or offer the franchise something new. More Magneto, more Xavier, more Logan, more Mystique and only them!

Yup, you got it.

The X-Men are fine at Fox. They work great as a separate universe and Fox is generally doing a good job with them. The Fantastic Four not being part of the MCU is just wrong though.

Cuburt

Stan may not be in negotiations, but I think he's in the loop enough to know whisperings of stuff like this, and he doesn't give a fuck about letting a few secrets slip, nor can Marvel/Disney stop him because it's Stan.

I remember him leaking out a Black Panther movie was in the works way before any official sources even hinted at it possibly being in the pipeline, so I think he could know something.

Lord Fagan

Bringing home "our" characters...

Stan Lee doesn't work for Marvel anymore. He's not going to meetings where they make these decisions. He doesn't receive inside word that he is authorized to share as part of their marketing plan, he's an extended, harmless cameo for people to giggle at nostalgically. He's been slapped on the wrist before for this kind of chicanery and he's gonna catch heat for this shit, too.

When Kevin Feige says he's bringing "our" characters home, then it matters. Right now, Stan Lee is just on carnival barker mode. "Sooner or later" might as well be "any time before or after my death."

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Hugh Jackman is the biggest miscast in history fun house mirror six foot Wolverine its silly and he acts nothing like Logan before the movies started coming out and the comics altered Logan to fit with the movie ruining the comics also fuck all those movies hope Marvel buys it back in 5 years and does X-Men right Yellow jumpsuits and all.

Hugh Jackman is the biggest miscast in history fun house mirror six foot Wolverine its silly and he acts nothing like Logan before the movies started coming out and the comics altered Logan to fit with the movie ruining the comics also fuck all those movies hope Marvel buys it back in 5 years and does X-Men right Yellow jumpsuits and all.
giphy.gif

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
We would not have got Logan and Deadpool if it was Marvel. Hopefully the X sticks, but send FF back their way.

Alienous

X-Men is gone, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Sustaining X-Men and everything else might be too much for one studio. If they carry on in the direction of Deadpool and Logan, and respect the characters, FOX will do fine.

Fantastic Four needs to move back to Marvel. FOX has enough on their plate with X-Men, and Fantastic Four - Marvel's first superhero team - should be back at home - hopefully to cap of the first run of the MCU, or to start the next. I think Marvel Studios can make that happen.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Stan Lee is actually physically going to Fox and haranguing employee's and execs as they try to enter their offices. Keep up the good fight Stan. Give'em Hell!

Mael

Why would anyone want Xmen at Marvel after what they did to Inhuman?
Heck after what they did to the Maximov in Age of Ultron I wouldn't want them using these characters either.

Top Bottom