• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update: Marvel got rights back to X-Men and Fantastic Four

I think it's a little too late to go "There were mutants the whole time in MCU, we just never talked about them!"

Scarlet Witch has an insane power spike at a climactic moment of a future movie, and dropping to her knees with tear stained cheeks and super-hero chaos happening all around, she whispers...

mutants

Reality bends and breaks and folds onto itself and burns to white, and as we fade back in, Jackman and Fassbender and the rest are there. Wolverine bites down on his cigar and asks Tony "who the hell are you?"

And the credits roll.

zulux21

There's zero chance Fox will give up X-Men. I'd also write off Fantastic Four's chances, at least for now.

give up... yeah probably not

something is clearly going on in the backgrounds though as Marvel's hard ban on xmen characters in their games seems to be stopping.

Marvel Legendary recently got an xmen expansion after the xmen characters started vanishing.

Marvel Puzzle Quest hasn't officially gotten more xmen yet after a few years but all rumors are pointing towards them returning to that.

ect.

so even if they aren't fully going to get the rights back, it seems like they may have come to some sort of an agreement in regards to them

Ernest

Banned
Wish Marvel would've had Fantastic Four from day-one. They needed to be on the ground floor of the universe, also, they would've been done right.

Mikey Jr.

Why marvel signed away their stuff for infinity amount of time makes no fucking sense.

Im assuming it's infinity anyways.

Sponge

Banned
God, I hope they do.

Can Disney trade a human like they did for Oswald.

Disney got super lucky with that deal. A few years later Universal was purchased by Comcast. I guarantee you they would have never sold Oswald after the Minions took off. Illumination would have wanted to use him I'm sure, just like they wanted to use Woody Woodpecker.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
This seems more like Lee trying to please an interviewer's question, then him actually knowing if Disney / Marvel has any plans to get back the rights to the X-Men or the Fantastic Four.

I believe Marvel / Disney still have a huge say in the X-Men TV shows, so that may have been a bit different. Also Fox isn't exactly ruining the X-Men universe, the same way Sony was basically on life-support with the Spider-Man franchise. In terms of film, I doubt Fox will make any sort of deal with Marvel, anytime soon.
X-Men 3, the Wolverine: Origins, and X-Men Apocalypse, are far and away worse than any of the Spider-Man movies made by Sony. It isn't even close. Also, there's only one X-Men film that has grossed more than a Spider-Man flick. All the rest grossed quite a bit lower than Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Thiiiis. Dude is a figurehead at best. He doesn't know what Marvel's doing with the rights to anything.

Not that I disagree he probably has no clue in this scenario, he was casually dropping that Marvel was working on a Black Panther movie way before it got announced.

So he knows some stuff.

They ain't getting X-Men back within the next decade, and I don't mind that at all. It's a bummer that they (probably) won't ever share a world with the rest of Marvel, but Fox has done some pretty great shit with X-Men and I'm fine letting that be. Like, I don't see Disney/Marvel putting out a Logan or Deadpool ever.

Fantastic Four on the other hand, I literally don't know why Fox is clinging onto that. There's gotta be more money in just selling that shit back to Disney/Marvel than trying to atone for Trank's disaster and the mediocrity of the prior two films.

Lautaro

Scarlet Witch has an insane power spike at a climactic moment of a future movie, and dropping to her knees with tear stained cheeks and super-hero chaos happening all around, she whispers...

mutants

Reality bends and breaks and folds onto itself and burns to white, and as we fade back in, Jackman and Fassbender and the rest are there. Wolverine bites down on his cigar and asks Tony "who the hell are you?"

And the credits roll.

I would be a bit dissapointed if they don't use the Infinity Wars movies to pull some timeline/dimension twisting event that brings different worlds together or something.

1281792-rift_001.jpg

Yes, I know that's a DC panel.

Fox has an FF project in the works, but I could see a "joint custody" arrangement like Marvel and Sony struck for Spider-Man happening if that flops.

Legion, Deadpool and Logan added ten years to the timeline for X-Men coming back. And that's assuming Fox's upcoming slate fops hard.

Not

Banned
All the other MCU characters are going to age out before they get to tell any X-Men stories

Except maybe Tom Holland

Mortemis

Banned
Please, fucking please. Get Fantastic Four back.

Fuck, I want a good one and I want Doom, Galactus, etc in the MCU so bad.

feel free to keep xmen

Before I said I like X-Men at Fox, but now after X-Men Apocalypse and Logan it's probably time for them to go back. If they acquired them like say about tomorrow then we wouldn't see an X-Men movie for a few years so the series would get a good break before coming back into the spotlight.

F4 needed to come back like years ago.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I would be a bit dissapointed if they don't use the Infinity Wars movies to pull some timeline/dimension twisting event that brings different worlds together or something.

Yes, I know that's a DC panel.

Why use a DC panel when there is literally the same thing in Marvel (parallel worlds colliding) :p

I'd love to see the F4 in the MCU, and not just for the villians. I desperately want to see the F4 gang in that universe. X-Men, I'm not too fussed about.

I think it's a little too late to go "There were mutants the whole time in MCU, we just never talked about them!"

They'e a rare sub-species of Inhuman who suddenly grow in numbers. Instead of requiring external terrigen to manifest powers, their bodies produce it during puberty due to an x-gene mutation.

They existed in small numbers before, but suddenly start showing up in mass whenever Marvel starts making mutant movies.

Boom. There you go.

Strike

Not holding my breath on X-Men, but FF has a good shot since they're 0 for 3 on that front. It just depends on whether or not Fox is willing to shit out another movie to keep the rights.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Everyone keeps going on about bringing Doctor Doom to the MCU. He's a terrible character. Total Mary Sue. Owns his own country, is an incredibly powerful sorcerer, can create incredibly powerful robot versions of himself that are indistinguishable from the real thing... Marvel couldn't have him be the best at everything and still justify him continuing to be defeated by the heroes, so they just made him a good guy instead. And he's the classic "looks good in the comics but stupid in real life" character with his metal mask and big green cape. Doctor Strange looked bad enough, Doctor Doom would just be goofy.

I doubt Stan Lee knows what he's talking about. FF is a possibility, but Fox will never give up the X-mayne

The FF franchise is toxic at this point. No wonder why Fox is rebooting it for kids.

But yeah, good luck with X-Men. Fox gained new interest in the X-Men franchise the moment that they realized that it can make good R-rated fodder out of the properties. Deadpool made nearly $800 million WW, Logan made $600 million WW. They have Deadpool 2 coming out next year, as well as planned X-Force and X-23 movies.

CloudWolf

X-Men in MCU is about the worst thing that could happen with that property. Say goodbye to interesting, daring films like Deadpool and Logan.

So long as they are kept away from Marvel TV, hooo boy

But

Logan
Deadpool
X2
First Class
Days of The Future Past

Are not bad Movies, Infact Logan & Deadpool are more entertaining than quite a few of the Marvel Movies
I'd add the first X-Men movie as well, great flick. Anyway, I'd actually rate most, if not all, of these above anything the MCU has produced.

I don't really know why GAF seems to hate X-Men at FOX, but they only really have had three or four (depending on your opinion of The Wolverine) duds. The rest are all excellent movies.

barit

F4 back in Marvel's hands would do wonder for this penalized team that never had a real chance to shine. Fantastic Four were one of my first comic books that I read and loved so they will always have a special place in my heart. And the fact that I would choose Human Torch's power over all the other powers found in the Marvel Universe if I could (yeah yeah everyone wants to be Spiderman but not me!).

X-Men I don't care that much. The movies were ok but nothing outstanding with some low points in between (The Wolverine/X-Men: Wolverine Origins.. what?). But Fantastic Four really deserve another try imo.

X-Men in MCU is about the worst thing that could happen with that property. Say goodbye to interesting, daring films like Deadpool and Logan.

I'd add the first X-Men movie as well, great flick. Anyway, I'd actually rate most, if not all, of these above anything the MCU has produced.

I don't really know why GAF seems to hate X-Men at FOX, but they only really have had three or four (depending on your opinion of The Wolverine) duds. The rest are all excellent movies.

Yeah, it would be awesome if they got the fantastic 4 back, but MCU X-Men would be the worst.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Fox seems to be 'getting it' with Logan, Deadpool, New Mutants, Cable & Deadpool & X-Force.

FF, though... Marvel NEEDS to get the first family back home.

Is the Fantastic Four license even worth owning?

I know it's a known brand and all, but I don't see any real passion for it.

Hickman's run is glorious, and needs to be on the big screen (we are already starting w/ Infinity War's Black Order).

We need the FF for their cosmic ties & characters as well as the 'family focused adventurer' vibe that the MCU lacks.

trikster40

No kidding, I saw this bump and thought it was a new topic and was about to post "Duh". Turns out, Stan knew what the hell he was talking about. Still can't believe that Disney bought Fox and made all of this come true.

No kidding, I saw this bump and thought it was a new topic and was about to post "Duh". Turns out, Stan knew what the hell he was talking about. Still can't believe that Disney bought Fox and made all of this come true.

I guess Stan had inside knowledge of the planned buy out then.

I still think it would of been cheaper if Disney just bought the rights back instead of buying an entire Division at Fox to get the rights.

shira

And now we will get another production line of boring always safe Disney movies
I didn't like TLJ, but it was risky af. Disney has been experimenting lately.

Rogue One
- murder, death
- gay characters
- suicide mission impossibles

TLJ
- murder, death
- non-traditional resolutions
- suicide mission impossibles

Thor: Ragnarok
- essentially franchise reboot from indie/comedy kiwi to act, mo-cap and direct
- gigantic troll plot

Force Awakens was safe. If anything Disney understands that they can't keep doing the same thing and you have WB and Paramount trying to make Extended Universes based on that old model.

Disney already said that Deadpool 2 stays R.

When I think of "production line" I think F&F, Mission Impossible, Transformers. Those movies all have the same formula with minor deviations that go nowhere.

Top Bottom