• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update on Final Fantasy Versus XIII Development

vocab

We need to make our lighting engine so god damn good to make our belts and zippers rise above the average belt and zippers. We want the shine to burn your eyes and remember what a real mans belt looks like.

decoyplatypus said:
But the fact that it's taken so long to develop has given me time to warm up to the whole project. It sounds like Nomura and company have put a ton of thought into the world design and story presentation, and if that degree of thoughtfulness carries over into the battle system, I think I could enjoy this game for what it is. I'm thinking I'm going to buy it, supposing Square-Enix ever gives me the chance.

LOL the long development doesn't mean more thought put in the game, it means that Nomura/Hashimoto/Kitase have been incompetent and haven't been doing their job properly. Just look at Duke Nukem Forever, 15 years of development and ended up being a critical flop, being accused of being outdated and without polish. And this game is in danger of turning into Square's Duke Nukem Forever.

Famassu

BobTheFork said:
Because it would just take more time. I would love to know the full cost when this is done.
It won't be anything incredibly costly. It hasn't been in full development from the minute it was announced at E3 2006 (or even a long time after that). They had a REALLY small team working on some tests once they did start with it, then once the Crystal Tools were ~done in early 2008 a somewhat bigger team started working on it. Then they had to help with finishing FFXIII for a while (at least a part of the team) and only recently have they moved a lot more people to help with the final stretch of development.

Well I mean, it's kind of a joke of game now.
Why? Because ignorant people don't even try to understand how its development has advanced and how it hasn't been in development for 5 years?

LOL the long development doesn't mean more thought put in the game, it means that Nomura/Hashimoto/Kitase have been incompetent and haven't been doing their job properly
Don't write shit about things you clearly have no idea about. Versus hasn't been in development for 5 years, more like 3,5. And yes, they HAVE put a lot of thought into it. A large part of the pre-development phase went into testing what they could do with the hardware they were given.

And this game is in danger of turning into Square's Duke Nukem Forever.
No it isn't. If you knew shit about game development and how Versus's development has advanced, you'd understand there are absolutely NO similarities between Duke Nukem Forever and Versus XIII. 3,5 years (or even the falsely claimed 5 years) is nowhere near 15 years, nor have they had to restart the project numerous times like DNF.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
hteng said:
mentioned, might be possible, maybe in legends, but they are set in the same universe, same planet but different continents i think.

Nah, different planets/worlds/time. Same universe insofar as each FNC game being different interpretations of the FNC myth.

Think about the early FFs. At least the ones with the "Crystals are the lifeforce of the world" mythos. The earlier FFs basically take this premise and make their own plot with it without being connected. The FFXIII games are like that. At least this is my way of looking at it after hearing what the devs have to say.

StuBurns

Banned
Kagari said:
We should hopefully see the game again in about 3-4 months.
Most likely.

While I can see why they don't want to take the focus off XIII2, but I actually think they could have used it. Imagine if they'd have included a Versus demo in XIII2. People would be pretty buzzed. I'd have imported it I'm sure.

Famassu said:
Why? Because ignorant people don't even try to understand how its development has advanced and how it hasn't been in development for 5 years?
It's hard to be actually ignorant when there's no real information to be ignorant about.

But, I think you need to chill. I'm pretty sure we are all waiting for this game and are just joking. Not me though, I think Kingdom hearts is pretty terrible and well this has been sold as a more mature KH game or something.

SamuraiX- said:
As in a trailer?

There aren't really any major general gaming events coming up until E3 2012, right?
Jump Festa in December is what she is referring to I believe. Might also be a January conference like they had in the past. Maybe both.

SamuraiX-

Slime said:

I laughed way too hard at this.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Jump Festa in December is what she is referring to I believe. Might also be a January conference like they had in the past. Maybe both.

Ah, that's right. It probably won't be anything much to get excited over though. Next trailer will hopefully be no later than TGS 2012.

StuBurns

Banned
Versus will probably have it's own little event won't it? It's a big enough release for SE to throw a little bash for it.

Zwei

SamuraiX- said:
I laughed way too hard at this.

Yeah, me too.
free-happy-smileys-839.gif

Famassu

Rahxephon91 said:
It's hard to be actually ignorant when there's no real information to be ignorant about.
There's plenty of information. All of it has just been trickling out slowly during the years. Still, once they started to actually work on Versus, the project has been advancing steadily. To say that it is going nowhere (even when we've seen a pretty polished looking build of the game this year) is being ignorant.

StuBurns

Banned
Famassu said:
There's plenty of information. All of it has just been trickling out slowly during the years. Still, once they started to actually work on Versus, the project has been advancing steadily. To say that it is going nowhere (even when we've seen a pretty polished looking build of the game this year) is being ignorant.
People are joking, lighten up.

Phatcorns

You know what's funny about this game? Well, it's development. But specifically, I remember being a college senior FIVE YEARS AGO in Japan when it was announced and talking to some dudes about it. Who would have thought that I still haven't played it. Mind you this was before the PS3 even came out.

Has there ever been a game that's taken this long, Duke Nukem Forever excluded?

Phatcorns said:
You know what's funny about this game? Well, it's development. But specifically, I remember being a college senior FIVE YEARS AGO in Japan when it was announced and talking to some dudes about it. Who would have thought that I still haven't played it. Mind you this was before the PS3 even came out.

Stop it, you're being ignorant.

StuBurns

Banned
Phatcorns said:
Development started in 2003, so it's been eight years, which is long, but it's not the longest no. Prey took eleven years for example.

SamuraiX-

StuBurns said:
Development started in 2003, so it's been eight years, which is long, but it's not the longest no. Prey took eleven years for example.

Did it really? No fucking way.

FFXII was released in '06. I just think it's more related to the fact that when SE says they're "working" on the next game, more than likely they're not really working on it yet.

StuBurns said:
I wouldn't even call it development back then. They haven't had many people working on it till recent years, important to note that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think it was just being "planned" back in 2003, not necessarily being developed.

Famassu

StuBurns said:
You've got it confused. They started working on the Fabula Nova Crystalis concept/mythology in 2003 (after X-2's release), but Nomura didn't do ANYTHING in regards to actually working out Versus XIII's concept & scenario until early 2006, when they had finished Kingdom Hearts II localization.

The Praiseworthy said:
So, we are going to have joke posts in every VersusXIII thread now?!

We've had joke posts in every Versus thread up 'til this point, why stop now?

Famassu said:
If you knew shit about game development and how Versus's development has advanced, you'd understand there are absolutely NO similarities between Duke Nukem Forever and Versus XIII.

Well, except for that whole vaporware-that-ultimately-ships-far-past-even-the-most-conservative-estimates-at-reveal-time thing.

Reveirg

StuBurns said:
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. XIII and Versus both began in 2003.

Not really possible for Versus considering its team was working on both KHII as well as Advent Children...

StuBurns

Banned
Reveirg said:
Not really possible for Versus considering its team was working on both KHII as well as Advent Children...
Really possible. Nomura works on lots of games at once, but for this specific instance you think it's not possible?

duckroll

StuBurns said:
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. XIII and Versus both began in 2003.

Began in what sense? Versus was not a game in any sense until recent years. When they announced it in 2006, it was a CG concept video and a story in Nomura's head. Are you counting development as from the moment the main creator starts planning ideas in his head?If you are, then Birth by Sleep started development in 2002, at the same time as KH2, and it was released in 2010!

StuBurns said:
Really possible. Nomura works on lots of games at once, but for this specific instance you think it's not possible?
You're taking liberties with the term development though. AND YOU KNOOWOOWOWOW ITITIIT.

nelsonroyale said:
I am still far more interested in this than XIII-2
Well this is obviously the much more ambitious and all around more fresh game then XIII-2. But XIII-2 really seems to be addressing some of the problems with XIII and looks like a real solid game.

duckroll

Rahxephon91 said:
Well this is obviously the much more ambitious and all around more fresh game then XIII-2. But XIII-2 really seems to be addressing some of the problems with XIII and looks like a real solid game.

And ambition means jack shit when you end up with nothing in the end. At least we'll be playing FFXIII-2 in a few months! <3

StuBurns

Banned
duckroll said:
Began in what sense? Versus was not a game in any sense until recent years. When they announced it in 2006, it was a CG concept video and a story in Nomura's head. Are you counting development as from the moment the main creator starts planning ideas in his head?If you are, then Birth by Sleep started development in 2002, at the same time as KH2, and it was released in 2010!
I don't know how else you can really measure a game's development. I see that argument a lot, and it's fair, but since conception is the only really logical way to gauge it to me.

If it took two to three years to do those character designs/music/logo/art direction/CG trailer, then that's what it took. It's still a vital part of the game's development.

Top Bottom