• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update on Final Fantasy Versus XIII Development

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://andriasang.com/comy9v/

Nomura says that he recently did a walkthrough of the full world map. He also did a check on the game's dungeons and the side paths in the game's towns. He was impressed with how expansive everything is.

When Square Enix announced the development of its "Luminous" next generation engine, some very cruel people joked that maybe Versus would be updated to use it. Actually, the game does use the lightning technology from Luminous, Nomura reveals. However, the game also uses a game specific engine that's specialized for action.

With Versus, Nomura promises a Final Fantasy like you've never seen before.

Emitan

Wait, it's actually a game? That the staff knows what it is before it's about to ship? Color my very cautiously optimistic.

It uses the lighting from Luminous? On the one hand, thank god, that'll at least speed up asset creation by an order of magnitude.

On the other hand, THEY BUILT ANOTHER ENGINE FOR THIS GAME WTF

StuBurns

Banned
I've read comments like this before about Nomura 'checking' the game. What does he do all day that he can be surprised at the progression of his game?

Emitan

StuBurns said:
I've read comments like this before about Nomura 'checking' the game. What does he do all day that he can be surprised at the progression of his game?
Reading Kingdom Hearts fanfiction to inspire the plot for the next game in the series.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'll buy this game, but fuck if I know what actually happened in the story of FF13.

Atlantic

So, is this entirely written by PR?

"some very cruel people joked that maybe Versus would be updated to use it"

yikes

Calcaneus

Dedication Through Light said:
It already seemed like a Final Fantasy like Ive never seen before. He keeps hyping me for it. Mid 2012 cant come soon enough.
Is that when a new trailer will come out?

hteng

Banned
friskykillface said:
so no chance of hope appearing or mention of hope? :D :D I'm in, if it ever comes out haha :(

mentioned, might be possible, maybe in legends, but they are set in the same universe, same planet but different continents i think.

This just shows what a development hole vs 13 has been in for the past 6 years. They incorporated the lighting from luminous only because the current lighting was starting to feel last-gen. If the development stretches on, they'll incorporate particle effects and other tech from next-gen too. It always begins like this.

So how much does vs 13 needs to sell in order to break even at this point?

StuBurns

Banned
RustyNails said:
So how much does vs 13 needs to sell in order to break even at this point?
The budget is probably pretty small right now actually. I don't think there's been anything suggesting it's a huge team or anything.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
JordanLMiller said:
I kinda wish this would happen too.

Think about it. If they don't rename this to FFXV, this will be the first gen without three mainline Final Fantasy games. That and, how well do you think the game would sell with a name like FF Versus XIII, as opposed to just FFXV?

Versus XIII is weird and confusing (do you KNOW how many people asked me if it was "that Final Fantasy fighting game" before Dissidia came out?), XV just makes sense.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Seraphis Cain said:
They really, REALLY just need to rename this to Final Fantasy XV already.

I actually think Square need to drop the numbers from the main Final Fantasy games, when a game series hit 10 it's just not right anymore.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have finished high school and college since this was announced and even though I don't really play JRPGs anymore, I'm still super excited for it. Hearing about the grand scale makes me happy. I'm very excited for this when it finally does see the light of day.

Synless

Totobeni said:
I actually think Square need to drop the numbers from the main Final Fantasy games, when a game series hit 10 it's just not right anymore.
Hell no!! I look forward to every numbered FF game. It wouldn't be the same without the numbers.

Psi

When Square Enix announced the development of its "Luminous" next generation engine, some very cruel people joked that maybe Versus would be updated to use it.

Those monsters

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
When they release the game, I'll probably have grandchildren already.

StuBurns

Banned
Totobeni said:
I think they just need to use them less. One numerical entry a generation would be great.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
However, the game also uses a game specific engine that's specialized for action.
This is also true of Luminous, but I guess this statement is more PR friendly than "We never expected our next-gen engine would be ready in time to make this comically late current-gen game, and now it's far too much work to replace the engine. Boy do we look silly!"

Emitan

StuBurns said:
I think they just need to use them less. One numerical entry a generation would be great.
I think that's going to happen on it's own...oh wait it's you. Why did everyone change their avatars today?

jackdoe

You know what would be hilarious? If this game was cancelled for the PS3 and made a Wii U launch title.
I will literally burn my Japanese copy of Advent Children Complete if it happens.

Top Bottom