• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update: Shadow of War does not require internet connection to play

Confirmed on their official forums
https://community.wbgames.com/t5/General/The-Market-Thread/m-p/1611280#M10912

Yesterday, Monolith Productions revealed the Market system for microtransactions in Middle-earth: Shadow of War.

Understandably, the community had a lot of questions and Community Manager MonolithJared answered plenty of them on the official forums.

Perhaps the most controversial one is that Middle-earth: Shadow of War requires an Internet connection for the time being, which is probably not going to sit well with some fans. Considering that the game doesn't feature any true multiplayer features per se, this was likely done to prevent hackers from boosting their own premium currency in the game without actually paying anything.
http://wccftech.com/monolith-shadow-of-war-requires-internet/

Jesus Christ. They're doing everything they possibly can to sabotage this game.

Edit:
Okay going to clarify here - pretty sure he's responding to if you can buy them offline. In particular he was answering this question on that one I believe: I have been wondering for the market can you access and buy chests without connection to the Internet if you know

You can see later in the thread he discusses how they merge some answering this question here with a positive response saying it would carry over your mirian.

What you can do is open any chests or make use of the market when disconnected or buy them with even in game currency.

The WB Forums are something of a mess to get through I know with the organization but it doesn't have that and what wccftech is claiming as confirmation is nothing of the sort. They have a tendancy to report badly on stuff.

Updated quote: "At the moment"
yGvVJBW.png

Tohsaka

Was going to wait until it was $20 after hearing about the loot box shit, but I probably won't even bother now. Luckily there are a ton of other good games this Fall.

graywolf323

Gold Member
between this and the single player loot boxes I went from being on the fence about preordering to quite possibly never buying this game at all

Ovek

7Member7
They require a internet connection especially on PC so they can validate the shitty loot boxes, otherwise people using Cheat Engine will have a field day and "steal" the publishers hard earned money.

Tailer

Welp guess I will just skip this game in its entirety then shame was actually looking forward to it, really enjoyed the first game.

faberpach

It is so sad to read publishers do this, there is zero benefit tot he game and it actually hurts some people. It is a single player game let people enjoy it how they want..

usp84

All this for a single player game how ridiculous!

Well there are plenty of game coming out this fall anyway

J_Viper

They're doing everything they possibly can to sabotage this game.

Including showing it, because it looks like garbage

Recycled gameplay, last-gen cinematics, dull art design, and what appears to be highly unimaginative quest design (Quest Objective: kill three orcs with stealth)

Using the Nemesis System as a crutch isn't going to work a second time

Kouriozan

Not like this...
Guess we'll have to get used to it since I expect GTA VI to be always online too (they keep repeating how GTA Online changed how they work)

Loxley

I was really hyped for this game, but the always-online thing and loot boxes are kind of deal-breakers for me. Looks like I'll be waiting for the price drop.

Facism

Went from wait for sale to hard pass. Not a fan of loot boxes and not a fan of always online single-player

This isn't a deal breaker for me because I have a decent internet connection and don't intend to dupe premium currency (nor will I buy it) but it is pretty crappy that this seems to be in place solely to support their loot box system. It's such a weird out-of-place addition to the game. Just because Overwatch and gacha games are doing well doesn't mean that every game should be using this cash grab system, especially when it doesn't fit.

CHC

It's like they finished making a perfectly good open world game than just handed the source code straight to the marketing department so they could completely fuck it up the ass.

They require a internet connection especially on PC so they can validate the shitty loot boxes, otherwise people using Cheat Engine will have a field day and "steal" the publishers hard earned money.

why not 'only on pc'? are you saying there's a way someone could do this on a console?...

eshwaaz

Forced online for single player games is the worst trend of the last few years. The "I'm always online anyway" and "I have a great connection, so no biggie" rationalizations will mean nothing a few years from now when the servers are inevitably taken offline. You'll no longer be able to play your single player game no matter what your online situation is. This shit is ridiculous.

Warner is one of the most anti-consumer publishers out there. They've been right at the forefront of a lot of shady practices. Selling fatalities, terrible ports/remasters, retailer-exclusive skins, overpriced season passes with paper-thin content.

Great games come out of there, but Warner really shackles them with their nickle and dime bullshit.

Jimm

Hopefully they change that. As it stands I'll MAYBE buy it used a year from now. I bought the first day 1 butI can't support this nonsense.

Coboney

Neo Member
Okay going to clarify here - pretty sure he's responding to if you can buy them offline. In particular he was answering this question on that one I believe: I have been wondering for the market can you access and buy chests without connection to the Internet if you know

You can see later in the thread he discusses how they merge some answering this question here with a positive response saying it would carry over your mirian.

What you can do is open any chests or make use of the market when disconnected or buy them with even in game currency.

The WB Forums are something of a mess to get through I know with the organization but it doesn't have that and what wccftech is claiming as confirmation is nothing of the sort. They have a tendancy to report badly on stuff.

geordiemp

Welp guess I will just skip this game in its entirety then shame was actually looking forward to it, really enjoyed the first game.

Yup, was day 1 for the first one, but got to stop the loot box rot.

I skipped COD IW for the crazy loot box crap, shadow can join that list.

Loot boxes in SP is just crap, you know its going to be grindy, sod that.

Okay going to clarify here - pretty sure he's responding to if you can buy them offline.

What you can do is open any chests or make use of the market when disconnected or buy them with even in game currency..

Cant even be bothered to read about it, the whole concept is a cancer on gaming.

GRaider81

Game im most looking forward to this year and its doing this smh. Will wait until steam winter sale at the very least now.

Altairre

I wrote this in the other thread already but I went from buying it the day of release to skipping it until they remove the always online crap. I can deal with the lootbox stuff even though I don't like it but I simply won't support always online for a singleplayer only game. I do wonder if you will get banned for using cheat engine or trainers since the lootbox monetiziation is most likely the reason it's always online in the first place. That would make for some great PR.

Rosur2a

No good news for this game this weekend...

Probably being announced now so by the time it comes out people will have forgotten about it.

t hicks

Banned
oh damn that's messed up
didn't have too much interest in getting this anyway... gonna wait till it's $20 or less

Top Bottom